Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,499 times

Advertisements

Well we have been looking in one particular county for a home for the past 3 months. What we were looking for doesn't exist, so we have been considering looking in another county which is quite far from where we were.
Our agent in the first county doesn't cover the new area we are considering (the area that has lots of homes meeting our criteria in our price range), and I called her yesterday to see if she could refer me to another agent. She insists she can help me with the new area, but I'm not so sure she knows the new area as good as an agent that deal with that particular market.

Please tell me what I should do.
We are really wanting to go see some homes up there and I'm so frustrated.

My gut tells me I need to find a new agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:02 AM

250 posts, read 991,915 times
You agent in the county you were looking in should have access to the same information an agent working in the new county has. If your agent is willing to learn that information to guide you and is also willing to drive further away, then I would continue to work with your agent.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM

Yes I know she has the same information, but she doesn't really "know" that area. She doesn't live there or work there or conduct business there.
She won't know if some neighborhoods may be declining, or which neighborhoods are more family oriented.
Or why there are alot of homes for sale in particular neighborhoods.
Do you know what I'm saying?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM

250 posts, read 991,915 times
It's certainly going to come down to what you're most comfortable with. Sounds like she really likes working with you!

I would ask her how she plans to "know" certain things. I'd address your concerns with her. Ask her how she plans to achieve this knowledge. Will she be networking with Realtors in the area? Does she know agents in the area? She can get answers, if she doesn't know them off the top of her quite easily to questions like, "Why are there a lot of homes for sale in a particular area." We all have to do some nosing around and those answers come pretty quickly. If this is an agent who's already worked really hard for you, you can be assured she'll work hard for you in the new county. Furthermore, by working with an agent in the new county, there's no promise that they will know some of the answers to your questions either.

To reiterate, I think that if she's working hard for you now and you address your concerns, she will continue to work hard for you in the new county. Having a hardworking agent is the best thing you can have, even if she needs to go ask questions or do some learning.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Update:
Our agent just called and has referred me to another agent in the new county that she has referred buyers to before.

She said he knows the area well and he sends her business for her area and its reciprocated. I feel a little better now. Because she has worked hard and definitely deserves some piece of the cut...

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
If your agent is telling you that neighborhoods are "family oriented" then they are breaking the law.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Yes I know she has the same information, but she doesn't really "know" that area. She doesn't live there or work there or conduct business there.
She won't know if some neighborhoods may be declining, or which neighborhoods are more family oriented.
Or why there are alot of homes for sale in particular neighborhoods.
Do you know what I'm saying?
I'm glad it worked out (hoping that you like the new agent & that they do know the area...)

You are right with listening to your gut.

Our situation was exactly like yours with we wanted such & such a house but they didn't have it where we looked.
I had an agent I also liked, she was great & willing to drive but I can't tell you how much time & gas was wasted because she didn't know the area. Sure she'd "heard" the area was good and schools were fine but she wasn't there and no, the schools were not fine.

We looked at over 50 houses I'm sure. I wanted her to have the sale but in the end, I had to look out for my family.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
If your agent is telling you that neighborhoods are "family oriented" then they are breaking the law.
And why would that bother me? I am the client, paying the money, and want to be in an area with other families similar to mine.
(Sorry if that's not politically correct, but I'm not too keen on all this government boo-ha ha meddling of what we say and how we say it.)

You know, sorry, but fair housing act don't fly in my book. You have all these limitations, EXCEPT age. Yet it's okay for 55+ older communities to exist. That's a double standard.

"I can't tell you where there are lots of kids, but I can tell you where there are senior citizens." Please, give me a break!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks Rose. Looks like the new agent is off to a good start, he's already sending me listings & such.

My mom hates the fact that we're looking even further away from where she lives (2 hours vs. 1 hour) but I can't help it. I've looked for 3 months in the areas she wanted me to. Can't say I haven't given it the old college try...

Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Thanks Rose. Looks like the new agent is off to a good start, he's already sending me listings & such.

My mom hates the fact that we're looking even further away from where she lives (2 hours vs. 1 hour) but I can't help it. I've looked for 3 months in the areas she wanted me to. Can't say I haven't given it the old college try...
Maybe your mom can move closer to you?
Did he have you sign an agreement? If he does, ask him if you are able to cancel it if you aren't happy or what ever reason, letting him know that any houses he shows you will be added to a list so that he gets commission since he did work on those.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals