Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 02:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,211,865 times

Advertisements

I'm a brand new RE agent and have done now about 4 buyer transactions over the course of a year since I have had my license in the state of PA. All of the transactions are residential buyer transactions where I myself purchased SF homes and now rent them out.

I want to purchase a commercial building in downtown Lancaster that is currently mixed usage. The downstairs was being rented by a law firm, and the upstairs had two residential units being rented out. I want to turn it into an Airbnb and also use it for my own personal office space. It's a little over 3k sq ft and I want to put in a bid next week for an all cash deal. Listing price is 600k but it's been on the market for a while so I will offer below ask.

I've heard commercial is so different of a business from residential. I have my license so obviously I want to do the deal myself and collect the 3% commish.

Is there anything I need to know that might be different from the buyer side of a commercial deal? Is the offer process the same with residential? Anything that is different would be great to know, esp before I go speak with my brokerage firm and ask them as well. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 02:26 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Hire a commercial agent, Jake.

Seriously. 3% is small potatoes compared to the value an experienced commercial broker would bring to the table.
Have your broker recommend one and ask for a 20% referral fee.

If you are up against an experienced commercial broker on the other side of the table, you may find they won't even take a residential broker seriously.

Old 07-02-2021, 05:59 PM

OK Thanks Mike. Plus, it's not like these buildings are 20 or 30 years old. They are all over 100 years old and I have concerns about zoning and doing Airbnb and such.

Old 07-02-2021, 06:58 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I'm a brand new RE agent and have done now about 4 buyer transactions over the course of a year since I have had my license in the state of PA. All of the transactions are residential buyer transactions where I myself purchased SF homes and now rent them out.

I want to purchase a commercial building in downtown Lancaster that is currently mixed usage. The downstairs was being rented by a law firm, and the upstairs had two residential units being rented out. I want to turn it into an Airbnb and also use it for my own personal office space. It's a little over 3k sq ft and I want to put in a bid next week for an all cash deal. Listing price is 600k but it's been on the market for a while so I will offer below ask.

I've heard commercial is so different of a business from residential. I have my license so obviously I want to do the deal myself and collect the 3% commish.

Is there anything I need to know that might be different from the buyer side of a commercial deal? Is the offer process the same with residential? Anything that is different would be great to know, esp before I go speak with my brokerage firm and ask them as well. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Talk to your broker. They can answer all of your questions.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:07 PM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
OK Thanks Mike. Plus, it's not like these buildings are 20 or 30 years old. They are all over 100 years old and I have concerns about zoning and doing Airbnb and such.
You need to ascertain the zoning and allowable uses before you drop 600 large on any building.

Since the buildings are over 100 years old you also need to determine if there are any current, or even proposed historic preservation restrictions. There also might be design standards/appearance or materials requirements for rehabbing or remodeling the exterior.

The above are in addition to the standard inspections.

Old 07-02-2021, 07:16 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
I moved to NC from Lebanon, PA in 1997.
I'd be pretty careful with downtown commercial stuff.

Like North Beach says, there's a lot of history to consider.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:11 PM

10,986 posts, read 22,021,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Talk to your broker. They can answer all of your questions.
Your broker may be able to help you with it. If your broker doesn't have experience then listen to Mike and get a commercial agent and ask to shadow and learn from them as you go.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:29 PM

661 posts, read 837,045 times
Commercial has less disclosures requiremnts from the seller, caveat emptor! If you're paying cash no problem, as obtaining commercial loans are very different as well.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:38 PM

OK Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times
OP, you said that the units were occupied? Are they vacant now? If so, you need to go yourself to the proper offices in that city and ascertain the zoning and allowed uses. Hiring a commercial broker is a good idea, and it is also to have a good local real estate lawyer on your side, but checking on zoning and allowed uses is something you need to do yourself. I have had past experience in this area and I would not trust either of those two to get this information for you. In some of those small PA towns, if the property has been vacant for a certain period of time or longer, buildings are automatically down zoned, meaning you might only be able to rent to one tenant instead of two, or two tenants instead of three or four. So you can't count your cash flow until you find out the town rules. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals