Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 08:58 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,892 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Advice from knowledgeable agents welcome!

I have accepted an offer on my home and I got asking price. The home inspector noted some wear and tear issues regarding the roof. My roof is free of leaks. I expect the repair addendum to come in soon asking for repairs to the roof. The agent representing the buyer did mention to me that I might be able to get a new roof If I contacted my insurance company because it looks like I had possible prior storm damage. The roof is only 15 years old. I am not interested in making repairs or contacting my insurance company to file a claim.

My question is: Is it correct that I am only responsible to make sure that the roof is free of leaks per South Carolina contractual guidelines? The buyer loan is a VA loan.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:42 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Just answering with my experience in Texas because I have sold many houses there with no leaks but hail damage. In all my cases the roofs did need to be repaired for the new buyers to be able to obtain property insurance when they bought the house. Who pays for the roof repairs is part of the sales negotiations.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:27 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Talk to your broker.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Talk to your broker.
I am. I haven't received the inspection or repair addendum yet, so I thought I would just reach out and ask for opinions. Brandon, I'm actually watching one of your videos on youtube now. lol

Old 06-26-2021, 10:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
None of this has anything to do with you being a new agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater_gypsy View Post
The agent representing the buyer did mention to me that I might be able to get a new roof If I contacted my insurance company because it looks like I had possible prior storm damage. The roof is only 15 years old. I am not interested in...contacting my insurance company to file a claim.
Good thinking. Insurance adjusters are wise to that kind of dodge. If you bought 20 or 25 year shingles, then the condition of your roof, after 15 years, is wear and tear unless wind tore off pieces or you had hail damage.

This is what hail damage looks like. Visible pock marks.

http://www.armorroofing.com/wp-conte...oof-damage.jpg

This is what wind damage looks like.

https://www.royalroofinginc.ca/wp-co...repair-229.jpg

If your insurance company pays for wind or hail damage it will pay ACV (depreciated value), maybe 20% to 25% up front and you will have to replace the roof to claim the rest of the replacement cost. You won't be able to assign the claim to the buyer.

If the roof has prematurely wore out you might have a warranty claim against the manufacturer. Look into that if you like. There may be some pro-rated money for you if you have the documentation of your installation.

Quote:

My question is: Is it correct that I am only responsible to make sure that the roof is free of leaks per South Carolina contractual guidelines? The buyer loan is a VA loan.
What South Carolina contractual guidelines? Can you post a link?

I ask because a seller isn't "responsible" for anything unless he agrees to be or unless there is a statutory requirement. In other words, a written law, not just a guideline.

You can always say no and put your house back on the market.

Last edited by adjusterjack; 06-26-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-26-2021, 03:56 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
I am. I haven't received the inspection or repair addendum yet, so I thought I would just reach out and ask for opinions. Brandon, I'm actually watching one of your videos on youtube now. lol
Sweet, hope they help. I've been meaning to put one out about strategies to get an offer accepted. Which one are you watching at the moment?

It's hard to advise without all the info. Is the roof at the end of the life expectancy, because it's a 3 tab 15 year shingle? Is it a 30 year 3 tab with some life left? Usually the home inspector will say the roof has some wear and should be inspected by a roofer. I guess w/o having more info, I'd say call a roofer and get an opinion. If there is weather damage, it's pretty common for the seller to put an insurance claim in. All repairs are negotiable (so you aren't required to replace/repair a leaking roof), but you have to ask yourself, if the roof does need to be replaced would the next buyer be willing to accept it "As-Is" or would you be better working it out with the existing buyer.

Whatever happens, good luck with your sale!

Old 06-26-2021, 08:13 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Hello,

Advice from knowledgeable agents welcome!

I have accepted an offer on my home and I got asking price. The home inspector noted some wear and tear issues regarding the roof. My roof is free of leaks. I expect the repair addendum to come in soon asking for repairs to the roof. The agent representing the buyer did mention to me that I might be able to get a new roof If I contacted my insurance company because it looks like I had possible prior storm damage. The roof is only 15 years old. I am not interested in making repairs or contacting my insurance company to file a claim.

Thanks!
Did you disclose to the buyer (in writing) that you are a licensed real estate agent?

Old 06-26-2021, 08:33 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Did you disclose to the buyer (in writing) that you are a licensed real estate agent?
Absolutely correct!! I would hope the OP did already.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:07 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
we need howard and the OP to get together and make it rain.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals