Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:29 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,567,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Lastly, the house you want to buy or sell is not dependent on who you hire to represent you. It's getting hard to take you seriously at this point. I feel like we're all being slow trolled. This can't possibly be real anymore.
Looks like it, all this time and she never even posted the address. Not sure what the motivation for these threads is, but honest feedback isn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 02:29 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,492,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Looks like it, all this time and she never even posted the address. Not sure what the motivation for these threads is, but honest feedback isn't it.
Anyone who wants to post an address or link may choose to do so of their own accord, but this is an open forum with many onlookers, and it could be to a prospective buyer's detriment to post the actual address of a home they want to buy while they are still in negotiation.

If you can't provide feedback regarding hiring an agent, or what characteristics you personally would like in a prospective agent, then move along.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 12-01-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Nope, not yet. As I expected, our first offer was declined. They countered at some ridiculously high number and now I am waiting til they get a clue. Historically, I have seen this agent's listing sit on the market for as much as two years. So since they have been on the market for 7 months now, I figure sometime in June of 2020 I will move. But I expect a lot of new inventory in March. I think the chances are slim I will find something I like so I can wait as long as it takes. I don't have to move.

I ended up decided that I really liked that agent. She is like a dog with a bone and very determined to get me this house. Since she doesn't have a ton of listings to manage, she is willing to focus on this deal as much as I want.
How far apart are you? As I recall, you were going to offer 78% of list or something like that. Speaking in percentages, what was the counter? Is there a chance you could split the difference? What does your agent think?

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 12-01-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 04:58 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,136,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
No way would I post the address where I might be moving. That's just Dave Barnes-level nuts.

Quote:

Nope, not yet. As I expected, our first offer was declined. They countered at some ridiculously high number and now I am waiting til they get a clue.
Did you counter their counter??

We've gone back and forth five times on a house before.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:17 PM

22,025 posts, read 9,614,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
How far apart are you? As I recall, you were going to offer 78% of list or something like that. Speaking in percentages, what was the counter? Is there a chance you could split the difference? What does your agent think?
Offer was 78% of list and we were going to go to around 83%, I think. They countered at 98%. Which is silly. You may or may not have figure out that this home is a higher priced listing and 10-15% is not chump change. I would rather not buy it than overpay for it.

I have spoken to a handful of local realtors in addition to my agent and they all think the sellers are completely off. So I don't think splitting the difference is reasonable. We will just wait til they come down. When all the new inventory comes on in a month or so, it will solidify my case. Also, another house that had been in the area on the market for over 200 days with a huge price drop and that is bigger than mine and was listed lower and didn't sell, was taken off the market.

My agent kept going back and forth with her about the square footage and she finally admitted that what we think it is might be right because my agent said something like, "they built the house, they must have the plans' and then she said that thing about not getting caught up in square footage again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
No way would I post the address where I might be moving. That's just Dave Barnes-level nuts.

Did you counter their counter??

I am not posting the address and I will no longer reply to any nasty comments. (Not you Birdie).

Old 12-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Did you chronicle this house buying saga on C-D or elsewhere? It would be very helpful to those of us who are considering a house purchase in the next year.

Did you buy in a buyer's market or a seller's market?

Do you mind sharing the general locale?

Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,136,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Did you chronicle this house buying saga on C-D or elsewhere? It would be very helpful to those of us who are considering a house purchase in the next year.

Did you buy in a buyer's market or a seller's market?

Do you mind sharing the general locale?
I didn't share it here.

It seems like it's always a seller's market here, south of Nashville.

We got to the point one time when buying that we were only about $2K apart, and our agent said, "Do you really want to lose the house over $2K?"

OP, don't despair. One time when we were selling my husband countered at $5K OVER asking when a young couple sincerely low-balled us. They were first-time buyers trying to break into a hot market. It was the first day on the market, and we were priced right.

Some sellers can be petty.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM

22,025 posts, read 9,614,490 times
Quote:
I didn't share it here.

We got to the point one time when buying that we were only about $2K apart, and our agent said, "Do you really want to lose the house over $2K?"

OP, don't despair. One time when we were selling my husband countered at $5K OVER asking when a young couple sincerely low-balled us. They were first-time buyers trying to break into a hot market. It was the first day on the market, and we were priced right.

I would imagine the Nashville market is very hot. All the people leaving here are going there or Texas.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,276,946 times
Quote:
Offer was 78% of list and we were going to go to around 83%, I think. They countered at 98%. Which is silly. ...So I don't think splitting the difference is reasonable. ... When all the new inventory comes on in a month or so, it will solidify my case. Also, another house that had been in the area on the market for over 200 days with a huge price drop and that is bigger than mine and was listed lower and didn't sell, was taken off the market.

My agent kept going back and forth with her about the square footage and she finally admitted that what we think it is might be right because my agent said something like, "they built the house, they must have the plans' and then she said that thing about not getting caught up in square footage again.
so you didn't even counter at 80% (meet their price change)? That's ... interesting as a strategy by your agent(s).

There's no reason to "split the difference" when anyone's more than about 1% apart.

if I were your agent, you'd had quit with this "mine" stuff

In one post you say inventory will change in March, and here you said "in a month or so" ...

I still would be interested in answers to the questions I had about square footage measuring, since whether the actual square footage matters to you or not (and it would be argued it's not, you what the house for what it is, not because it's a certain size), we're not sure if it's material fact or not in CHI-land.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I didn't share it here.

I don't think it is petty for sellers to counter with whatever price they will accept, and that includes what your husband did, which was to counter over your original listing price. I have read that the list price is really more of an offer for sale, rather than an offer to sell at a particular price or worse, at a discount from that price.

Many properties command well over asking price. List price is set to get the most people interested in the property as possible, to increase the pool of serious buyers. Buyers, especially those in strong markets, need to understand that.

I am still seeing overbids win houses around here, though not in the 20% plus range as was going on in the early summer.

In hiring an agent, to keep this clearly on topic, I would look for someone who has a history of pricing and showcasing their listings in order to net me what I want for my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals