Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM

508 posts, read 527,276 times

Advertisements

Need Appraisal insight ?

I am looking for appraiser's insight on my posted thread.

Property valuation & State property records in MD?

I did find many folks addressed questions on property appraisal questions. I am not sure, whether I can re-post it here, so you can weigh-in to my thread.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I looked there and read the thread... I'm not sure I understand the question?

Are you looking at vacant land?

Is the posted size of the lot you're interested in really 686 sf? That's just a little more than 25x27 feet That's tiny.

Nevertheless, you can't usually get anything really valuable from a straight cost per sf comparison on land. They vary in price for all kinds of reasons.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:00 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
Please clarify what you are attempting to accomplish.

If you are trying to buy a home and are using tax assessments as a guide to figuring price, you're probably wasting time. There are too many variables. A Realtor is your best source of information, as you can get the information that's not visible from the street.

I have no idea how close MD tax assessments are to market value. In my area, two identical houses, next door to each other will have different assessments based on how long ago the property was purchased. Our assessments are below, at, and over market value.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Thanks for your replies/questions.

Are you looking at vacant land? NO. I am looking to buy a town home, but posted land value/sq ft on SDAT misleading. I did provide the data comparison for properties. One town home shows land area 686 sq ft for $66000, another one for 2000 sq ft for 66000. These homes are not far away.

I do find the listed property prices all over the place.

If some buyer pays higher price based on emotions (above listed price). it will become a norm for realtor's CMA.

What is the fair market price ? That is what I like to figure out.

SDAT posted numbers shows real assessed values of property. Does this act like STOCK's BOOK Values and used car's Kelly's blue book values?

There are some properties do not have recent sales to rely upon. Seller wants HIGH buyer want value to avoid bubble trap. You can say, that is what reactors for. I am not sure whether I am getting value directive from my realtor. This is why, I opened this thread.

My Realtor says 5% below list price a fair offer. Is it true for all properties?

What is the close approximation to get fair market value(before hiring the appraiser in mortgage process) of the house using published numbers?

"A Realtor is your best source of information, as you can get the information that's not visible from the street."

Could you explain this? I am getting the data from MRIS in CMA from Realtor. That solely depend on past close prices.

What are the pieces not visible from the street?

How a buyer make informed decision doing homework/due diligence ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for your replies/questions.

Are you looking at vacant land? NO. I am looking to buy a town home, but posted land value/sq ft on SDAT misleading. I did provide the data comparison for properties. One town home shows land area 686 sq ft for $66000, another one for 2000 sq ft for 66000. These homes are not far away.

I do find the listed property prices all over the place.

If some buyer pays higher price based on emotions (above listed price). it will become a norm for realtor's CMA.

What is the fair market price ? That is what I like to figure out.

SDAT posted numbers shows real assessed values of property. Does this act like STOCK's BOOK Values and used car's Kelly's blue book values?

There are some properties do not have recent sales to rely upon. Seller wants HIGH buyer want value to avoid bubble trap. You can say, that is what reactors for. I am not sure whether I am getting value directive from my realtor. This is why, I opened this thread.

My Realtor says 5% below list price a fair offer. Is it true for all properties?

What is the close approximation to get fair market value(before hiring the appraiser in mortgage process) of the house using published numbers?

"A Realtor is your best source of information, as you can get the information that's not visible from the street."

Could you explain this? I am getting the data from MRIS in CMA from Realtor. That solely depend on past close prices.

What are the pieces not visible from the street?

How a buyer make informed decision doing homework/due diligence ?

If you have an experienced, knowledgeable, Realtor, then she/he is giving the best information available. This includes, sales price, condition, number of bedrooms/baths, concessions, etc. so that you can compare to the home you want.

Trying to compare $/sf of land, based on assessments seems like a lot of work for very little useful information. Even if assessments in your area are always very close to market value, you still need to look at what the whole property sold for within different communities. They were not sold as vacant land. Land value will give you only locational difference, not those differences that are attributable to everything else, such as condition, size, etc.

5% off list price may be reasonable for that one particular home. However, you cannot assume that is always true. Some owners list low to sell quickly, some list 5% +/-, and some may list substantially higher.

Your due diligence is looking at available homes and comparing the closed sales provided by your Realtor. When you are ready to make an offer, decide what it is worth to you and go from there.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post

NO.

How a buyer make informed decision doing homework/due diligence ? RELY ON THE REALTOR WHO HAS BEEN SHOWING YOU HOMES AND PROVIDING INFORMATION. IF YOU DON'T TRUST THEM, FIND ONE YOU DO.

What is your profession and primary language? There are barriers you're putting in place to being effective in purchasing a home.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 AM

Thanks for your reply. I do tech data analysis work.

"RELY ON THE REALTOR WHO HAS BEEN SHOWING YOU HOMES AND PROVIDING INFORMATION. IF YOU DON'T TRUST THEM, FIND ONE YOU DO."

The trust is subjective, but I want gather facts to enhance trust with home work.Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
great - unfortunately you cannot rely on just the data available to be successful in residential real estate. It requires experience - usually on the part of your agent - with a large number of clients to understand the vagaries of your local market.

People buy houses, and so many non-statistical factors come into play. Houses cannot be distilled down to data points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals