Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:24 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,971,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
sounds like you are operating on some "hearsay". Either you signed documents that you read, or you didn't. If your husband is the only one that signed, and you didn't read them, I don't know what to say.

As far as what list price and representation should be ....

If your original agreement "clearly" (as you state) says there was to be no "You can bring a buyers and represent us both" - then you have that in writing, and can point to it, and correct her now. If your agreement (contractual or by email) made it clear she was not to personally represent buyers, then whip it out right now.

As to price...

You thought 209,900 was too high. But now you think 205K is gettable? The house has been on the market for 4 months. Do you know how quickly comparable homes are selling? Are you before that, or past that? If you don't know, then you need to ask for the information.

I would GENERALLY presume (since there's not complete information) that people that want or can afford $200K homes would look at $210K homes.

Regardless of market, I can't imagine how a 2% reduction is the magic wand ... unless maybe you drop ranges (ie, that 2% took you to at/under 200K)
^^^ I agree 2% isn't going to get things moving. You possibly could now be "that over-priced home" resulting in no one paying attention to price. What list price did your Realtor recommend when you listed the home?

There's a saying I heard many times over in the early 80's (a market of high rates and super slow sales).....I have no scientific data to back it up, but it sure is supported by the stories I frequently hear, including your's. "Your first offer will be your best offer." My gut says you should have taken that initial offer, which was less than 5% off the purchse price. In the first time buyer range, which you are part of, your agent should have prepared you to pay 3% closing assistance. Now calculate your cost to continue carrying the property each month. Utilities, taxes, mowing and so on.

As a seller, no one wants to hear their idea of price is too high. The problem is when you start lowering price, you need to get people's attention. 209K to 205K isn't getting attention. If you want this home gone sooner that later, get it under 200K (and not $199,990). The other thing you are fighting (you are not going to like this) is your refusal of the first offer, or not wanting to meet the buyer halfway may already be a point of discussion in that other RE agent's office. The smaller the town, the tighter the talk circle.

I suspect your spouse is driving this train, and there's not much you can do or say to get him off his current path. It also may not be worth the battle. The problem is if you have a weak agent (meaning someone that is only telling him what he wants to hear), you could lose even more money in this sale, even before another offer is made.

Hopefully, I am wrong and a full price offer is in your future. But, sitting on the sidelines, it's a familiar story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:43 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,030,301 times
You may be right--
We know that someone will not make a full price offer
We expect to counter
But we didn't want someone to see a 10K drop and over 100 days on the market and offer another 10K down

Personally I didn't want to buy it in first place
Would have been happier to help her with rent money because didn't know how long she was going to be able to live alone
We can afford to lose money more than most people -- but not something I want to do

When we bought, rental property was hard to find in good area/price just like RE market was stronger---more buyers in the market, rates were lower--

I just wanted to know about the time extension w/o any notice from the agent--
Just to put it into the document w/o any discussion
(And I bet my husband didn't really notice it before he signed it if truth were known)...
I know that I saw the extension before I signed but he wasn't willing to get her to take it out

And I know he will not want to discuss her acting as agent for both buyer and seller
I will ask him to pull the original contract out of the "cloud" and review what it says--

He is not confrontational and thinks I am too pushy most of the time--
Totally different personalities in many ways...

Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,622,888 times
I'd suggest you take a long hard look at your listing agreement. Among other things, the main one for Florida has a section for acceptance of offers and another for how to handle verbal offers. There are other areas that might apply, my point is that you need to understand the contract you have with the current listing broker.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,276,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You may be right--
We know that someone will not make a full price offer
We expect to counter
But we didn't want someone to see a 10K drop and over 100 days on the market and offer another 10K down

Personally I didn't want to buy it in first place
Would have been happier to help her with rent money because didn't know how long she was going to be able to live alone
We can afford to lose money more than most people -- but not something I want to do

When we bought, rental property was hard to find in good area/price just like RE market was stronger---more buyers in the market, rates were lower--

I just wanted to know about the time extension w/o any notice from the agent--
Just to put it into the document w/o any discussion
(And I bet my husband didn't really notice it before he signed it if truth were known)...
I know that I saw the extension before I signed but he wasn't willing to get her to take it out

And I know he will not want to discuss her acting as agent for both buyer and seller
I will ask him to pull the original contract out of the "cloud" and review what it says--

He is not confrontational and thinks I am too pushy most of the time--
Totally different personalities in many ways...
your issues have nothing to do with the real estate transaction, and everything to do with your relationship with your husband.

read your post again, if you don't agree

Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,042,241 times
Aside from the rest of it you're probably not selling because you're overpriced and a drop to 200k even would be more effective. Quit floating the empty house and sell it. Get the price to 200k and be firm. Buyers will pay asking price if the home is priced fairly. There is no rule that says you should overprice and then negotiate. This a dumb strategy that has cost many home sellers money, yourself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals