Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:12 PM

10,997 posts, read 22,042,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I don't know...this looks like a lot of clock operating.

The point that you were responding to is very simple. Telling time. Z does not 'rip off' content from other websites in some kind of unauthorized way. If they were scraping off content without permission to use it for their own commercial activities, this would be criminal IP theft.

Maybe people don't like their estimates, the colors on their website or that they are too influential or not influential enough. But unless there is some kind of proof that they steal the IP of others, this should be retracted and corrected as it's a serious charge against a real estate business.
I must have missed where he accused them of theft or unauthorized info scraping. Can you point it out to me?

I wish I had a nickel for every time you accused someone of a "serious charge".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 05:24 PM

14,587 posts, read 12,263,586 times
I said it is my understanding that they use web crawlers to skim information off of public facing sites on the Internet… I said it was often inaccurate and outdated. I did NOT say it was unauthorized or illegal. That is clock-building and really not my job to figure out.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 PM

6,460 posts, read 4,978,494 times
From Zillow:

Where does Zillow get its listings?

When a home is for sale by owner, the listing is manually posted to Zillow through the home owner's account. If your home is for sale by owner and you are having trouble posting your listing, please visit our article 'How do I post my home for sale?' which has step-by-step instructions.

If you would like to learn more about editing your for sale by owner listing, the article 'How do I edit my for sale by owner listing?' has more information.

While Coming Soon listings can be manually posted by agents through their profile, all other listings are syndicated to Zillow through a variety of feed sources. This includes listings for sale through an agent, New Construction, Auction, and more. A listing feed is a way to publish frequently updated data in the same format. The Zillow Listing Feed process is done through an XML file that is sent to Zillow, which then transmits the listing onto the live site.

Listings are sent to Zillow from sources such as partners, brokers, agents, third-party “feed” providers, and in some cases, directly from an MLS. Zillow does not pull or take listings from different websites.

For syndicated listings, any updates must be made directly at the listing source. That change will then reflect on Zillow within 24 hours. You can find the source of a listing by scrolling down to the bottom of a property page under the “Listing Provided By” header. This will tell you where it is coming from.

If your listing is missing from Zillow, please visit the article 'Where is my listing?' for more information or contact our Consumer Care team through our contact form.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,276,946 times
Quote:
I don't know...this looks like a lot of clock operating.

The point that you were responding to is very simple. Telling time. Z does not 'rip off' content from other websites in some kind of unauthorized way. If they were scraping off content without permission to use it for their own commercial activities, this would be criminal IP theft.

Maybe people don't like their estimates, the colors on their website or that they are too influential or not influential enough. But unless there is some kind of proof that they steal the IP of others, this should be retracted and corrected as it's a serious charge against a real estate business.
Zillow isn't a real estate business that warrants any kind of retraction of "serious charges" that get your wood on.

it's not worth my time on this or any forum to go back in time and get all the details precisely correct. Eyeballs flock to Zillow, and asking for Zillow to be accurate is about all I can do.

I called Listhub a type of operation that was I am certain not precisely accurate. It also all has to do with understanding technology and Intellectual Property on a basis and depth which I do not have, and which does not affect me on a daily basis. That's the telling time vs clock-making.

If an agent wants to understand Zillow enough to realize that they have a 1-4% lead conversion, and how many leads are you getting, and what price range are they buying, and what are the %'s that they'll use you if you're not available 24/7, etc etc etc ...

But Zillow, for example, has been called a "scraper" for more than 10 years, and has never sued anyone for such a heinous accusation. And the #1 syndication site told them and others "No More". You figure it out.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
From Zillow:
at least you can cut/paste.

Did you get your email from Zillow today with their Updated Terms & Conditions?

If I cut/paste it, I bet it would be interesting. or long and dense.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 PM

661 posts, read 838,614 times
The listing contract often allows the home seller to opt out of any online marketing. The seller may choose to opt out of the online marketing world because he does not want his property to be subject to an “automated valuation model” (AVM), such as the famous Zestimate. The seller may want to only be listed in the local MLS, but not on the national syndication sites. There may even be more personal reasons why they do not want the mass syndication.

It is also possible that the seller simply wants the property information to be as correct as it can be and trusts only the real estate agent and the agent’s website to do so. After all, it is the brokerage and agent who were hired to sell the property, right

Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,594,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

it's not worth my time on this or any forum to go back in time and get all the details precisely correct.
But you're supposed to give advice for a living. You're supposedly an 'advisor'. Advisors live or die in their trade by being correct.

Actually, I don't think I said anything about you on this thread so just reacting to your quote above which I find odd.

If I were a licensed real estate professional providing information to consumers, I would aim to be 100% correct. Obviously nobody is 100% correct but your attitude that you don't have time to be 100% correct is troubling.

You're not posting on a sports forum or some political forum where people just "say stuff". This is your field and you're posting as a professional. Not just some guy off the street who can say anything. Raise your standards. Have some pride in giving correct information. Consumers want agents who pay attention to the details. Not sloppy people who don't have time to be correct.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:08 PM

43,431 posts, read 77,376,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
The listing contract often allows the home seller to opt out of any online marketing. The seller may choose to opt out of the online marketing world because he does not want his property to be subject to an “automated valuation model” (AVM), such as the famous Zestimate. The seller may want to only be listed in the local MLS, but not on the national syndication sites. There may even be more personal reasons why they do not want the mass syndication.

It is also possible that the seller simply wants the property information to be as correct as it can be and trusts only the real estate agent and the agent’s website to do so. After all, it is the brokerage and agent who were hired to sell the property, right
Right.
But, often it is an error to minimize exposure, and surely shouldn't be the agents' decision to do so.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
But you're supposed to give advice for a living. You're supposedly an 'advisor'. Advisors live or die in their trade by being correct.

Actually, I don't think I said anything about you on this thread so just reacting to your quote above which I find odd.

If I were a licensed real estate professional providing information to consumers, I would aim to be 100% correct. Obviously nobody is 100% correct but your attitude that you don't have time to be 100% correct is troubling.

You're not posting on a sports forum or some political forum where people just "say stuff". This is your field and you're posting as a professional. Not just some guy off the street who can say anything. Raise your standards. Have some pride in giving correct information. Consumers want agents who pay attention to the details. Not sloppy people who don't have time to be correct.
au contrere, mon frere.

I am indeed responsible for being 100% correct for my clients. I am also responsible for having all of my marketing and advertising be correct.

I am not responsible for knowing or explaining how Zillow does what they do (they can't or won't explain themselves), or for understanding copyright law (I'm not a lawyer, remember?) or Intellectual Property law (again, not a lawyer).

If a seller wishes to do as noted above - not have their house info syndicated - then there's a box we check in our MLS. It should not be on the feed that goes through Listhub. Alas, if that listing appears on another local broker's website from our local IDX feed, and that's one of the myriad sources Zillow uses (see Thundarr's cut/paste), then Zillow will indeed put it on their website.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,594,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
au contrere, mon frere.

I am indeed responsible for being 100% correct for my clients. I am also responsible for having all of my marketing and advertising be correct.

I am not responsible for knowing or explaining how Zillow does what they do (they can't or won't explain themselves), or for understanding copyright law (I'm not a lawyer, remember?) or Intellectual Property law (again, not a lawyer).

If a seller wishes to do as noted above - not have their house info syndicated - then there's a box we check in our MLS. It should not be on the feed that goes through Listhub. Alas, if that listing appears on another local broker's website from our local IDX feed, and that's one of the myriad sources Zillow uses (see Thundarr's cut/paste), then Zillow will indeed put it on their website.
Knowing or not knowing something is different from giving incorrect information. Again, it's not about this thread, just reacting to your general statement about not having time to be correct. To be perfectly frank, with you and many others here, that sloppiness shows loud and clear.

It shouldn't matter if someone's a client or not. You're here dealing with consumers in your capacity as a licensed agent. You should have the pride and care to give correct and clear information. You're talking about real estate matters and you either care about giving correct information or it's less important to you. If you don't have time to be correct, then don't answer. Maybe cut down on your posts but improve the quality of them. Just a suggestion for your own betterment. You should come here every day and say:

"gosh darn it, today I'm going to do my best to give consumers the most accurate, insightful, clear and professional information that I am capable of giving. I will try my best to make my industry peers proud of me and I will aim to have every reader of my posts leave with a more positive impression of me, my business, and my industry than they had before they read that perfectly articulated post of mine."

I guess we just have different views on this and I think consumers here would be wise to avoid agents who can't be bothered to take the time and care to be as correct as they possibly can be. Or to trust that you'll be more correct when you become a client and pay them money.

I think consumers should read some of the comments here from agents before they select them. You certainly can tell a lot about people's character, ethics, attention to detail, communication skill, ability to comprehend and understand, attitudes, patience, respect, etc. And I certainly wouldn't accept an explanation that you behave better or are more correct, etc with clients than you are here. Nobody's going to buy that as it's just nonsense. What you see here is what you get folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals