Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:38 AM

13,742 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago, my property manager uploaded an ad featuring my rental property using the MLS feeder.

Last Wednesday I informed my property manager I wanted to change PM companies and he was fine with that as he’s quite busy. He told me he would remove the ads and I could pick up the keys to the property anytime.

I went to the new property management company and signed the contract. The woman looked on the MLS and the MLS listing to my rental was indeed gone.

However, today I notice both the Zillow and Tulia ads were still up with the previous property management photos and contact info.

I emailed the previous property manager and asked could he please take down the ads.

He told me all his advertising was removed and unfortunately, he has no control of Zillow’s feed or posting.

Meanwhile my new property manager told me she uploaded her own ads to the rental property Friday afternoon. I assume she’s also using a MLS feeder given she’s in the RE business.

What I am worried about is next week I will find the old ads still be up and I wouldn’t be able to rent the property because all the contact information belongs to the previous PM.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 03:43 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Your old PM must be letting his MLS feed go to Zillow.
It should update when he pulls the listing.

IF your new PM is an MLS member, uploading rentals to MLS, and allows her listings to go to Z, at some point Z should update.
Just ask her.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Zillow never "forgets", but the new mls listing should update to Zillow. After the property is rented, Zillow will often revert to some previous version of an mls listing, sometimes not the latest one.

Personally, I tried to "correct" my former residence on Zillow - Zillow had it listed as "bank owned, BRING ALL OFFERS!".. They pulled that for a few weeks when I asked, then it popped up again with the same wording & stayed that way for years until I re-listed and sold the property.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:58 AM

O.k. If I understand the ad the new property manager uploaded yesterday will override the old ad from the previous PM.

Therefore by Monday Zillow and Tulia should be undated with the correct listing.

Is this how it works?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:31 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. If I understand the ad the new property manager uploaded yesterday will override the old ad from the previous PM.

Therefore by Monday Zillow and Tulia should be undated with the correct listing.

Is this how it works?
Unfortunately, you cannot assume anything syndicated will work that quickly (or stay 'fixed' down the road)

Old 03-31-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot assume anything syndicated will work that quickly (or stay 'fixed' down the road)
That's what I worry about.

Come next week (and the beginning of the month) the rental listing will not have updated.

The previous PM will say, "Hey I've done my part. I've submitted the request to take them down."

And my new PM says, "Nothing I can do. We just have to wait. "

So the property sits with the wrong listing rental price and the wrong contact information.

If a week goes by and there has been no update is there something I can ask either of the PM to do?

All I need is to make it through 2018.

Next year I'll be moving to AZ and will handle the rentals myself.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 PM

Side note: Last week I noticed 5 or 6 RE agents business cards on the kitchen counter while visiting the property. None were from the same brokerage firm my former PM works with.

My guess is potential applicants were contacted by RE agents and were shown the property.

I was under the impression a majority of applicants looking for a rental check the on-line advertisements (Zillow,ect) and then call the listing agent to arraign a showing.

Has it become popular these days to use an RE agent to find a rental instead of searching through listings yourself?

Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:46 AM..

Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Side note: Last week I noticed 5 or 6 RE agents business cards on the kitchen counter while visiting the property. None were from the same brokerage firm my former PM works with.

My guess is potential applicants were contacted by RE agents and were shown the property.

I was under the impression a majority of applicants looking for a rental check the on-line advertisements (Zillow, ect) and then call the listing agent to arraign a showing.

Has it become popular these days to use an RE agent to find a rental instead of searching through listings yourself?

Thanks
Yes it is popular.
Knowing that the MLS is the source of much of the data that sites like Zillow corrupt before presenting, many people connect with an agent or property manager to see rentals.
The agent MLS feed on rentals will be more accurate than Zillow ever will be.
Z may offer some inventory that is not shared via MLS. But, they just don't handle the MLS RETS feeds very well.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:46 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 05:48 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
...I assume she’s also using a MLS feeder given she’s in the RE business....
Don't assume this. Very few PM companies advertise on the MLS in my market. You should ask your new PM if she has the property on MLS.

It's true that agents don't have control over the 3rd party sites and since you fired this guy and he's already busy I doubt he's going to go out of his way to help you correct it. You or your new PM contact the 3rd party sites if it's so important to you. Unrelated, but why did you fire him? Just curious.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Don't assume this. Very few PM companies advertise on the MLS in my market. You should ask your new PM if she has the property on MLS.

It's true that agents don't have control over the 3rd party sites and since you fired this guy and he's already busy I doubt he's going to go out of his way to help you correct it. You or your new PM contact the 3rd party sites if it's so important to you. Unrelated, but why did you fire him? Just curious.

My former PM was regularly out of town and rarely returned calls. (I have multiply rentals.) He also had a poor selection of vendors. The number of properties he currently handles is over 100 but he has begun to sell property as well. Until recently his wife helped with the business but this is no longer the case.

Our split was mutual. I wasn't happy with the way things were going and the former PM wasn't pleased I asked a lot of questions.

I told the man I would leave if he would let me out of our contract and he said fine. .

Today I asked if he would forward inquires regrading my property to my current management. He explained I wasn't to use his ad or photos. I told him the new PM had uploaded her own ad last Friday but the ad wasn't showing. His ad is still up. He told me he's done all he can and it takes time. My new PM is saying pretty much the same: Just wait.

I received 109 views and 9 saves today on Zillow.

My guess is 2 or 3 might have either called or sent an email to the previous PM.

Will he forward them over? Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals