Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,299,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonsprings2018 View Post
Both are engineered hardwood floors. Since the original is bamboo -- and not really used anymore in Central Texas due to responding poorly to humidity over time -- the new kind will be hickory.
what you're pointing out is that there is a "betterment" aspect to changing the flooring in the extended area.

that puts the change far beyond the realm of simply "matching" the stairway to the rest of the flooring area that the builder is willing to do at his expense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
So you are getting an upgraded floor from what you are describing. I don't think it is unreasonable for the builder to ask you to pay for the stairs based on that. He could just put the bamboo back in and then you are stuck with the same problem that it doesn't hold up well. Seems like a fair compromise.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:23 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,991,033 times
In the State of Texas, any builder defects are warranted in perpetuity. This is an obvious builder defect. As a hopefully retired builder in Texas, I would expect to replace all of the flooring and so should your builder. I can assure you if he went to Resolution Court (arbitration) he would lose his case. I wouldn't settle for anything less than replacing the entire floor. Had he performed his function as builder, this would not have happened. This is his problem, not yours.
FWIW, the builder is not going to be paying anything for these repairs. What ever sub was responsible for the gap that caused the damages is the one that's going to have to pay as the builder will back charge him for any monies the builder is out. If the sub no longer works for the builder, then the builder will be out the money. But HE hired the apparent moron to do the work, not you. This is HIS PROBLEM, not yours.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,274,867 times
what does the Realtor who represented you say?

I'm neither agent nor lawyer in Texas (it appears you're there), but actual damage and cosmetically-pleasing are worlds apart.
Quote:
The exact style is no longer made, so it will be replaced with a different yet similarly priced style
I'd assume that this is the legally-reasonable language. The builder can't wave a magic wand and get flooring that's no longer available.

There's certainly some wonder that they're willing to go what appears to be above and beyond because they know how messed up the construction was

Old 02-24-2018, 04:31 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,594,613 times
I would want to see the materials and understand how the transition is proposed to be done with the stairs. The devil is in the detail.

Also, some bamboo looks very different from wood. Other bamboo looks similar in visual texture. Again, details matter. If it's a 'feature' kind of stairway that 's very visible, then that would make a difference to me as well.

If I decided that I could live with the original stairway, I would ask for some compensation - 1,500 or 1,000 or whatever.

Or push on demanding a full replacement.

Paying myself for replacing the stairs would not be acceptable at all to me and I would be left very unhappy due to having to pay for something that was not your fault at all. Either it's all replaced or I end up with some modest amount of compensation for having to live with it. I think that's fair.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:07 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,273,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So you are getting an upgraded floor from what you are describing. I don't think it is unreasonable for the builder to ask you to pay for the stairs based on that. He could just put the bamboo back in and then you are stuck with the same problem that it doesn't hold up well. Seems like a fair compromise.
Exactly.
If the builder sticks with replacing what was originally there the stairs and undamaged rooms wouldn't need changing.
I'm surprised the builder has been so generous

Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,594,613 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Exactly.
If the builder sticks with replacing what was originally there the stairs and undamaged rooms wouldn't need changing.
I'm surprised the builder has been so generous
The OP was pretty clear that the floor is no longer manufactured so my understanding is that there was never an offer to 'put the bamboo back in'. There was a major water incursion so it's very likely that no floor would have survived that so not sure what is meant by 'stuck with the same problem'.

So I really only agree if the builder offered a like for like replacement and the OP instead wanted a wood floor. But that's not what the OP is saying.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The OP was pretty clear that the floor is no longer manufactured so my understanding is that there was never an offer to 'put the bamboo back in'. There was a major water incursion so it's very likely that no floor would have survived that so not sure what is meant by 'stuck with the same problem'.

So I really only agree if the builder offered a like for like replacement and the OP instead wanted a wood floor. But that's not what the OP is saying.
Correct. The builder at first wanted to do a board-for-board replacement of the damaged area only, but it's not possible due to the type of wood no longer being made. The closest match was not remotely close. So at minimum, the bedroom would need to be replaced with a different kind of floor.

If nothing else these conflicting responses prove this is indeed a tricky situation and I really appreciate all the thoughts here.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 40,539,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

Because the OP said that bamboo doesn't hold up well in Central Texas due to the humidity. So rather than find a comparable bamboo product that might match closer, the builder is willing to change it to hickory which is a superior product to handle the humidity. So the hickory will last longer based on what the OP is saying about the humidity in Texas and its impact on flooring there.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:46 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,721,288 times
Quote:
Because the OP said that bamboo doesn't hold up well in Central Texas due to the humidity. So rather than find a comparable bamboo product that might match closer, the builder is willing to change it to hickory which is a superior product to handle the humidity. So the hickory will last longer based on what the OP is saying about the humidity in Texas and its impact on flooring there.
To me, what the OP is saying is that she did pick an entirely different floor. The builder could very well have picked a similar look (but different) bamboo that wouldn’t have looked too different from the undamaged rooms. However, the OP has decided to go with hickory since it doesn’t do well in humidity. I don’t see why the builder should be compelled to do a full replacement of the stairs because the OP chose a product that was suboptimal for the climate originally.

Typically stairs are just done to match as closely as possible the wood that is chosen since the planks have to be custom made anyway- that is how it was done in my house. It just sounds like the OP is choosing something that is a radically different look. When I had water damage in my home, I just replaced the damaged room with a wood that looked close (but was still different) and they installed it with a little more space to allow for more moisture. I had oak, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals