Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,951 times

Advertisements

Live in KY and making our 1st trip to Florida next week. Working with 2 agents as our interests are 2 hours apart.
We are just feeling out areas , neighborhoods, cost of living and potential part time jobs as we are semi-retired.
Knowing That we will not buy on our first visit and won't until our house is sold.
Agent #1 is going to meet us and gladly drive us and show us areas with homes in which we are interested.
My present home agent hooked us up with this experienced Agent about 4 months ago

Agent #2 Have worked with agent about 3 months phoned several times has sent a far amount of listings.
Knowing we are mot ready to buy.
Talked a week before flying to Fl and at the last minute asked "When are you going to buy ? ". Well not this trip. So now I'm told that agent will leave maps with zip codes of homes which we are interested.
Tells us to go explore and walked the neighborhoods and call if any questions.

Is this proper for an agent to do this with a new out of town potential buyer ?

Thank You for Your Honest Opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:30 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjoe View Post
Live in KY and making our 1st trip to Florida next week. Working with 2 agents as our interests are 2 hours apart.
We are just feeling out areas , neighborhoods, cost of living and potential part time jobs as we are semi-retired.
Knowing That we will not buy on our first visit and won't until our house is sold.
Agent #1 is going to meet us and gladly drive us and show us areas with homes in which we are interested.
My present home agent hooked us up with this experienced Agent about 4 months ago

Agent #2 Have worked with agent about 3 months phoned several times has sent a far amount of listings.
Knowing we are mot ready to buy.
Talked a week before flying to Fl and at the last minute asked "When are you going to buy ? ". Well not this trip. So now I'm told that agent will leave maps with zip codes of homes which we are interested.
Tells us to go explore and walked the neighborhoods and call if any questions.

Is this proper for an agent to do this with a new out of town potential buyer ?

Thank You for Your Honest Opinions.

Neither is "improper." Just a way of doing business. Agent #1 is either more aggressive or less busy than Agent #2. I would have expected Agent #2 to at least meet with you, though.

And, Agent #1 may just be demonstrating the value of a referral from another agent.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:30 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Proper is the wrong noun.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
People offer different levels of service so yes it is proper. Many buyers would prefer the type of service you are getting from your the first agent and that sounds like the type of service you would like to get.

To me this goes back to the issue that all consumers seem to think all agents are the same. They don't take the time to interview and ask them questions.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
A quality agent will meet with you and give you a tour of the area, as well as show you some homes. If an agent would not do that, I would simply eliminate them from my contact list.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:17 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Agent 1 has better customer service than Agent 2.

I hope that's the area you move to. I'd like to see Agent 1's approach pay off.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:20 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I'm curious as to why you didn't get a referral to an agent in area #2?

I'd agree with the others. Agent #1 is likely a keeper. I'd dump Agent #2. (And we've gone through this exact scenario many times in different cities.)

Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,301 times
I'm also an out of town buyer who has been looking since March 2014. We are looking for a vacation home that will eventually become a permanent residence. Our house hunting has involved three visits over a two year period. The agent we've been working with has never hesitated to meet with us even though she knew originally that our time horizon for purchase could be three months to three years. I would never have continued on with her had she given me a map and some information. I wouldn't have called an agent had I wanted to search the neighborhoods. I could do that without the help of a broker feeding me listings. She is a very successful realtor, so it's not like she is sitting around waiting for a client.

Maybe proper or improper isn't the correct terminology, but I would say he/she isn't aligned with what you desire. I would probably break any ties with this agent and find someone who meets your needs.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm curious as to why you didn't get a referral to an agent in area #2?

I'd agree with the others. Agent #1 is likely a keeper. I'd dump Agent #2. (And we've gone through this exact scenario many times in different cities.)
I always do research on the agents first, but once I find a good one and they provide that type of quality service, I feel more loyalty to them and I make sure to use them and also provide references.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:46 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would have expected Agent #2 to at least meet with you, though
I think the fact that agent #2 has not offered to meet with you is very telling. Depending on how much you've narrowed your search geographically and how successful agent #2 is, I can certainly understand them not wanting to take you on a week long tour of the area. However if you've not met them face-to-face yet and they've passed up an opportunity to do so, that's an indicator that likely you're not going to get a lot of personal attention from this agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals