Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM

237 posts, read 967,469 times

Advertisements

Hi, my nephews friend is a realtor and will do a 4% commission for me to save money. Will you as real estate agent bring buyers to a house with a 2% commission? Thanks for the feedback. Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,713 times
Yes, all agents should because its about the client not the money esp. in a depressed real estate market.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
What will you, the seller, get for the 4% commission? Is your nephew's friend willing to commit to the marketing expense necessary to sell a house in a slow market if he's discounting his commission? What exactly will he be doing to market your home? You say he's doing this to "save" you money. However, if your home doesn't sell because of lack of marketing, or sells much lower than it should because of a lack of knowledge about your market, then have you really "saved" anything? Just something to think about. If your nephew's friend knows what he's doing and is willing to spend the marketing dollars like he would for full commission, then you've got a good deal.

If the home is marketed well and priced well (which means the friend must be willing to spend the time it takes to really stay on top of subtle changes in the market and track your competition so that you don't lose out on a sale) then buyers will want to look at your home, and agents should be willing to show even if the commission offered might be low. Keep in mind, though, there's going to be lots of other houses out there where the sellers are offering bonuses and extra commission to try to get more activity on their homes.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Consider this: Many buyers agents have a contract with their buyers to pay them 3% when they buy a home. That 3% is offset by the commission that the sellers agent pays the buyers agent.

If a listing agent offers 3% to the buyers agent, then the buyers client would not have to pay the buyers agent anything because his fee is offset.

If an agent takes the client to a home where the listing agent is only offering 2%, then the buyers agent must inform her client that if they buy this house they will have to make up the 1% difference.

Consequently if your home is on the market for $500,000 then the buyer would have to pay her buyers agent $5,000 to make up that difference. The buyer may decide to not look at your house because of that.

If most of the listing agents are offering 3% to buyers agents and your friend is only offering 2%, then he is doing you a disservice, in my opinion.

If he wants to save you money, then he should offer 3% to the buyers agent and only take 1% for himself, and still do all of the marketing and legwork required to get your home marketed. That means that s/he won't make any money, or won't do any marketing. That's the way I see it.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
If mindy is in MA like I think she is, 3% commission is not typical. Average commission for MA is still at 5% total (2.5% on either side).

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
If your agent is willing to work for 2%, so be it. Find out what coop fee range is being offered in your marketplace. Then look at your closest competitors coop fee. Offer at least as much, better to offer more, if there is lots of competition.

You only pay if you get the cash, so there is little risk to you to offer a competitive coop fee.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,968 times
I have to say I am surprised his broker went for it....myself, would i show the house? sure if its what my clients wanted, but I will not speak for all realtors....EVER lol

Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,265 times
Great question, which brings about many as stated in all the posts. Ask all those to your listing agent, and then you should have a better feel. I agree with the one post, I always take clients to whatever matches their likes,and I only look at the commission, once we start with a transaction.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
If your friend is such a friend why not have him take 1% and give the selling agent 3%?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Hi, my nephews friend is a realtor and will do a 4% commission for me to save money. Will you as real estate agent bring buyers to a house with a 2% commission? Thanks for the feedback. Mindy
I would.

Although, in all honesty, and with complete disclosure to my buyer, assuming your home is in a "tract" subdivision, and there are several other homes, just like yours, that are offering more co-broke, I would also show those homes as well -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals