Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,711,118 times

Advertisements

Not that I have had problems to date selling houses with a letter or without a letter, but I sometimes question the real value of the letter when presented to me by a prospective selling agent.

Your thoughts please on the true value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,003,728 times
A pre-qual has zero value because it's based on verbal discussions with the lender only.

A pre-approval, when done correctly, has a lot of value because it means the lender has pulled credit, verified income via checks stubs, looked at tax returns, etc.

When I get an offer on a listing, I ALWAYS call the lender to make sure they did verify everything and review all documents before issuing the pre-approval.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
I agree with Nina. Pre-Qual means nothing, absolutely nothing. It's usually just someone picking up the phone and telling a good story to the lender. With a Pre-Approval, the story is checked out and verified. Things like child support, Alimony, and Student Loans might be left out of a verbal conversation, but will come up when things are verified. Those expenses could drastically change someone's approval amount as it's all based on debt to income ratios.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:50 AM

10,967 posts, read 21,995,719 times
There is some value, you know they are at least credit worthy. Pre-approval is better though.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Even a pre-approval is no guarantee. It just means the buyer is financially qualified to make a purchase at that price point. The lender still has to evaluate the house to decide if they want to lend against it. It's always a problem when a house does not appraise out. Of course, the buyer's financial qualifications can change in a heart beat as well. Last year, I had a buyer get laid off in the middle of a sale. He no longer qualified for the mortgage and voided the contract using his financing contingency.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Would it make more sense for a "looking" client to only need a pre-qual letter (or nothing) and for a pre-approval to be submitted as part of a strong offer?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:10 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Would it make more sense for a "looking" client to only need a pre-qual letter (or nothing) and for a pre-approval to be submitted as part of a strong offer?
Anyone who wants to buy a home should have a pre-approval letter. Sometimes, you can't get one in an hour and if you want your offer to be taken more seriously you'll need it. You never know when you'll happen upon that "right" house and you need to be ready to go when you do.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:31 AM

15,584 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Pre-qual is nothing.

Pre-approval means they have verified employment, have docs, etc.

DU approval means they are desktop underwritten so that is the best.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:38 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,560,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Anyone who wants to buy a home should have a pre-approval letter. Sometimes, you can't get one in an hour and if you want your offer to be taken more seriously you'll need it. You never know when you'll happen upon that "right" house and you need to be ready to go when you do.
I only had a pre-qual letter. There was no time to go further and get a pre-approval before I found a house I loved and made an offer that was accepted. If my offer hadn't been accepted, I would have continued with the pre-approval process while looking for other houses.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
If I were a seller in a multiple offer situation, a pre-approval would be stronger than a pre-qualification. If a pre-qual is from a reputable lender, then I feel a little better about it than some fly-by-night lender no one has ever heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals