Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 08:03 AM

351 posts, read 1,874,861 times

Advertisements

My parents are four months into a six month contract with a realtor to sell their house. They vetted the realtor through normal channels and he is known in the community. Last week my parents received a direct call from a buyer's agent to see the house, the first showing under the contract. My parents showed the house and were unable to contact our realtor to inform him of the showing (The buyers agent misrepresented himself, and as the house is empty, we were concerned about possible casing of the house by criminal elements when we learned that the buyer missrepresented his affiliation with a legitimae and known agency).

In trying to contact our realtor about this situation, he revealed (to my sister, not my parents) that he does not "show" houses. My parents knew that he didn't "do" open houses, but that he doesn't show them either came as a very big surprise.

Is this common in the industry? I'd be interested in some feedback from others about this situation.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,901,800 times
I've never heard of that. While I don't go to a showing of another Realtor in my area it is customary that the appointments are made through the office so we know who is going in and that they are legit. A record is kept. And appointment is never made directly with the owner by an outside agency.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post

In trying to contact our realtor about this situation, he revealed (to my sister, not my parents) that he does not "show" houses. My parents knew that he didn't "do" open houses, but that he doesn't show them either came as a very big surprise.

Is this common in the industry? I'd be interested in some feedback from others about this situation.

Thanks!
Wastina, it is typical for the listing agent to not be present when the buyers agent is showing the property to their client. The buyers agent needs to be able to talk to their client in private. Many listing agents will even request, in advance, that you leave the home while the home is being shown.

Again, that is to allow the buyers agent and client to freely take their time to discuss your property. It also prevents the buyers agent and client from asking questions of you that could be damaging to you during negotiations.

Your agent should have, in my opinion, instructed you that if you are at home when a home is being shown, that you do not answer any questions other than to respond to a question about the property itself. All other questions should be directed to your agent. Such as "how soon do you need to move", "why are you moving", etc. That could tip them off as to how desperate you are to sell, and may result in a lower offer.

However, your agent must obey all of your legal instructions. You can require that they be present when there is a showing. This would be agreed on when you list your property. Your agent would greet the buyers agent and client, and then stay out of their way so they can view and talk in private.

On very expensive homes, your agent may need to give a tour to explain features, and then let them have their space.

Others will post their own ideas on how this should be done, and you can decide from hearing all sides, and then you can discuss this with your agent.

Bill

Old 12-15-2007, 08:44 AM

43,347 posts, read 77,209,038 times
With a scheduling service, like Centralized Showing Service, here in NC, it is not necessary for the agent to be present.
It is actually an encumbrance to showing the home to require the agent be there, and so it is not the rule for the typical property.

Any Realtor can request the lockbox code and show the property. I often learn of showings after they have occurred. So in our market, it is very common for the Listing Agent to not "show" the home.

Like Captain Bill said, in an exceptional property the Listing Agent may offer explanation of features, or show obscure features. I would add, in the case of an elderly or infirm client, I would certainly agree to be present for showings of my listings.
But these are exceptions, not the rule.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:11 AM

10,971 posts, read 22,004,638 times
I don't entirely understand so I'd like some clarification before answering.

First, what is the problem with the buyers agent that your parents showed it themselves?

Did the agent not show the home to the buyers because they were working with another agent, or does he not work with buyers period? I ask because he could be an exclusive sellers agent.

Is your listing agent a full service or low service agent?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:19 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
My parents are four months into a six month contract with a realtor to sell their house. They vetted the realtor through normal channels and he is known in the community. Last week my parents received a direct call from a buyer's agent to see the house, the first showing under the contract. My parents showed the house and were unable to contact our realtor to inform him of the showing (The buyers agent misrepresented himself, and as the house is empty, we were concerned about possible casing of the house by criminal elements when we learned that the buyer missrepresented his affiliation with a legitimae and known agency).

In trying to contact our realtor about this situation, he revealed (to my sister, not my parents) that he does not "show" houses. My parents knew that he didn't "do" open houses, but that he doesn't show them either came ncias a very big surprise.

Thanks!
If the buyers agent called your house, your number is on the MLS. That means that the agent doesn't set up showings, nor does he attend them. That is popular is many areas, but, indeed, you have to trust the agents on that one, and a bad seed agent could use it to your disadvantage. Sounds like you are working with a discount agency, and are a little confused as to how they operate vis-a-vis the conventional agencies. He does not have to show clients if that is understood in the contract.
BTW, in the Naperville area in Chicago, that, believe it or not, is common procedure even for full-service agencies. They all have the seller's number on the MLS, and the agents just contact them directly. I think that the house being vacant should be no cause for worry, unless you think they plan on walking out with the PVC pipes and toilet fixtures.....

Last edited by socrates1234; 12-15-2007 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,861 times
Thanks for your responses. I see room for confusion here, although not so much in our case. It sounds like we have a bad case of poor communications with a less-than-impressive realtor (and not a discount one, at that!)

Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 AM

11,833 posts, read 34,462,681 times
depends on your area. As your parents to check the license status/affiliation with the state's real estate commission. If BA misrepresented his affiliation and or license status, have parents file a formal written complaint.

We don't know the area of this property, so we cannot tell you what is common. Contacting the sellers, the listing brokerage, the listing agent, or a showing service, sometimes the lock-box info is in MLS, and there is no appointment required.

Is the property on Combo or Electronic lock-box?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals