Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 16,510 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone can answer this for me. Twice now I have had an Ethics problem with Realtors in Golden Valley AZ. One took my offer on a home and then sold it to someone else. Reason? "To bad nothing was in writing". Now the home I did buy was advertized as "refurbished inside and out. New carpet, tile, paint, appliances ect" On close inspection after the sale I find the appliances ar all used. The Realtor says to look at the very-very small print on the bottom of the flyer. It says " Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed". Now if that isn't shady what is??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotan View Post
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Twice now I have had an Ethics problem with Realtors in Golden Valley AZ. One took my offer on a home and then sold it to someone else. Reason? "To bad nothing was in writing". Now the home I did buy was advertized as "refurbished inside and out. New carpet, tile, paint, appliances ect" On close inspection after the sale I find the appliances ar all used. The Realtor says to look at the very-very small print on the bottom of the flyer. It says " Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed". Now if that isn't shady what is??????
Although I agree this particular realtor is very shady and unethical, but there's a difference between unethical and illegal. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. If you had consulted an attorney before you signed, he/she could have helped you avoid these problems. The attorney would have noticed the "fine print" before you signed. Everyone loves to slam attorneys, but they actually do serve a purpose!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:25 AM

106 posts, read 532,746 times
I agree that's completely shady but also agreed that it isn't illegal. Technically that is what your walk through and inspections are for... I would be livid though.

I am completely disgusted with business people in general right now. We are working with contractors with various remodeling projets on our house and I am blown away at how shady and dishonest they all are. It makes me so angry. Sure we all like to make money but doesn't anyone do it honestly and with integrity anymore??? I am really soured and don't trust any person who makes money at sales or mark ups anymore. It's really sad but very true Watch your back people!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:10 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,799 times
Even a national shoe store is acting pretty shady right now. The all time family outlet to Pay less for shoes is advertising their get the second pair at half price offer.
They've doubled the price of the shoes. You can't find a pair cheaper than $30.00. A pair I bought for my son a few months back has now doubled in price. I made mention to the store clerk about the raising the price of the shoes to accomodiate for the sale. She even agreed, and called her store Pay More shoe store.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:12 AM

540 posts, read 2,173,813 times
Rotan
The first question I'd ask is was the agent a REALTOR? Not ALL real estate licensees are members of the National Association of REALTORS. What is the difference you ask? As REALTORS we are held to a Code of Ethics, and as members of a local, state, and national association, there are procedures and processes for addressing violations and unethical conduct.

I would contact the local REALTOR's board and address your specific issues with them, they'll be able to tell you if this person is indeed a member and whether or not you have recourse.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Obviously tyhat's pretty shady, and even if it's not technically illegal, it is wrong.
Is it possible that the Realtor didn't know the appliances were used? YOu say that it was not until "close inspection after the sale" that you noticed that the appliances were used. Maybe the Realtor didn't inspect them any further than you did when you looked at the house, and was just as fooled as you?
If you are sure this real estate agent is a Realtor (meaning he's a menmber of the National Association of Realtors, and is therby bound by our code of ethics, part of which mandates that we present a true & accurate picture of the property,) and you're also sure the Realtor knew about this, then file a complaint. Look up the local board of Realtors, and file the complaint. It's a fairly simple process, and ethical honest Realtors would appreciate you helping keep the organization free of people like that.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the gap between agent behavior and board of realtor ethics is widening. i use lawyers these days.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Quote:
Was there someone living in the house when you bought it or was it vacant? How are the appliances used? burnt food inside the oven or are there dings and marks on the outside of the appliances? maybe the previous owner bought floor model appliances (if the marks are not food related).

Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
I guess I am seeing this different than most.
The first home you did not make an offer on, you threw a price out to see what would happen. In the mean time a serious buyer took the time to write up an offer outlining the specifics. You did not feel the need to contractually bind yourself by writing a contract, thus the agent took a more concrete offer.
On the second, you saw the appliances yourself. Could you not tell if they were new or not and if this was an owner occupied unit they still need to use the appliances when they live there.
If you are saying they are old appliances could you not tell that by looking at them? You saw them and then wrote a contract and purchased.
Sorry, but I think you are looking for for someone to blame for your own missteps.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
If you had consulted an attorney before you signed, he/she could have helped you avoid these problems. !
FYI - Attorneys are RARELY used in residential real estate transactions in the State of Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals