Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 PM

16 posts, read 26,870 times

Advertisements

i'm a US citizen but i have grown up in england, i am going to university here soon, and i will probably study business administration, but i might do something else, i don't know, but i am only doing a degree as a back up plan if i fail at selling real estate, is that good?

i was thinking about becoming and working as a realtor in the Atlanta area, is that wise? i heard that it is really hard in CA because there are so many realtors there

but i heard the economy in and around atlanta is really bad, so yeh, i would love to work in and around atlanta, but i would really love to hear any suggestions you have, as i am open to anywhere

and please try to be specific by stating where in the state

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 03:51 AM

8,582 posts, read 12,523,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy5 View Post
i was thinking about becoming and working as a realtor in the Atlanta area, is that wise? i heard that it is really hard in CA because there are so many realtors there
Real estate agents are ubiquitous. I don't believe you'll ever hear the words "there just aren't enough real estate agents here". But don't let competition dissuade you from pursuing what you want to do (although, I must admit, I've never heard a young person aspire to be a real estate agent).

Regardless of what you ultimately decide to do for work (and that can be many things in life, not just one), I see no downside to getting a college education. In fact, most of the good real estate agents I know have either college degrees or graduate-level education. Your interests should help guide you on the courses you take.

I also believe that it's good to have "back up" plans. Not everything you set out to do will work out, so you need to be prepared to be flexible. Education certainly helps.

As far as the field of real estate, though, it is not just "showing houses" or even residential real estate. It can range from revitalizing cities with in-fill development to saving the countryside from development (which actually go hand in hand). There are issues as diverse as zoning law to business management practices.

The only real advice I can give you is to plan to do something that you enjoy. And, better yet, plan to do something which you feel is meaningful. If you can find that combination you should do just fine, no matter what line of work you choose.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 09-03-2013 at 04:02 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 AM

16 posts, read 26,870 times
thanks, do you think i will have success as a realtor in the atlanta area in about 6 years from now?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:54 AM

6,539 posts, read 10,483,022 times
Hard to predict a housing market in advance. We can only live for today. Not all realtors are successful.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy5 View Post
thanks, do you think i will have success as a realtor in the atlanta area in about 6 years from now?
No one can predict that as there are too many variables. You'll just need to prepare yourself for success as best you can. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 66,010,417 times
First you have to get the work visa, not easy to do. You can't just come here and start working. To become a realtor, you have to take and pass courses.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
First you have to get the work visa, not easy to do.
Why would a U.S. citizen need a work visa? He doesn't plan on moving to Utah.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
First you have to get the work visa.........
I suggest an American Express instead.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 66,010,417 times
Oops I missed the US citizen part.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Oops I missed the US citizen part.
Well, actually a business VISA card is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals