Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 12:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,052,025 times

Advertisements

A local CB franchise's manager doesn't respond to emails, and they do not advertise in the Los Angeles Times newspaper very often.

I subscribe to LA Times Sunday paper, and it's been 3 weeks since this particular CB branch has advertised.

This CB franchise seems to be a factory, holding almost 200 licensees in each of its offices. They have over 500 licenses parked across 3 offices, and even with all those fees collected, they do not seem to advertise in newspapers often. Red flag? Run away quickly?

In contrast, three local Century 21 branches team up and take out a 2 page spread every sunday to promote their listings and their name.

Does it matter that a branch doesn't take out newspaper advertising? I've been monitoring the sunday paper recently to see who advertises the most, and it's usually Century 21, and CB Residential (but only the multi million dollar homes)

I also emailed the branch manager for an information packet about becoming a sales agent. I expected them to have an FAQ sheet or something they could email me. Is it uncommon for branches to have an FAQ packet in pdf format so that prospective agents don't keep asking the same questions?

Anyhow, the manager ignored my emails. I went through the coldwell banker website and inquired about other local branches, but received no responses either.

Is it common for brokerages to show such disinterest? Would they rather make initial contact by phone? Being busy people, wouldn't they rather respond to emails in their free time, especially when they can quickly send out a generated template to all inquiries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,330,929 times
You are asking some very good questions. Keep asking them until you are satisfied!

I recommend, based, solely upon your OP, that you change your focus by looking beyond super-sized offices. You may get lost in the crowd. A Realtor to truely be successful must stand above the crowd.

What value does it do you to take money from your commissions (brokers share of the splits) to advertise the properties you didn't list? I can't answer that as there may be true value for you in the particular market you are working in.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,528,861 times
There's red flags all over that. My local CB broker had me come in, explained how their office and training works, took me on an office tour, and had an informational package for me to take home... before I even got my license.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM

11,841 posts, read 34,487,830 times
Go interview brokerages near where you live and want to work. Keep interviewing until you find a good match.

When is the last time you bought from an ad in the paper?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,846,966 times
You're judging the success of a brokerage by an ad in the paper? Were you starting your career in 1993 or 2013?

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 09-02-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,512,894 times
The print ad is less of a red flag compared to not responding to web requests. Clearly you need to remove that CB office from your list of contenders. Look at other franchises and some of the independents in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals