Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 04:12 PM

67 posts, read 164,483 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I previously held a real estate license and did some work, mostly property management and assistant-type work, and then let it expire while I finished my college education and started a family. I chose a major based on perceived stability, but found out that #1- no industry is stable and #2- I want to be a business owner and crave the flexibility. I'm planning to take the updates and courses needed and then the licensing exam. I am confident in my knowledge of real estate as far as the contracts, terminology, etc., but fear that lack of experience is still going to be a bit of an issue in the beginning. I really want to do a good job and represent my clients with high ethical standards.

I would like to work with a larger brokerage for the name recongition, ad-backing, and mentoring. What are the different commission split and training structures out there in North Texas? Who has mentoring programs and are they successful? I've talked with a few, but would like some inside knowledge. Would joining a team be the best way to start out?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,332,375 times
For some reason, as I read your post, I thought to myself; this person isn't much of an entrepreneur. Not that that is a bad thing, just a person looking for security. Flexibility is very nice, but the flexible part is the expanding the work week up, not down. Your business is driven by you and your dreams. Dream big.

If I was looking to hire someone, I'd want to have someone tell me they wanted to buy the brokerage from me at some point.

I really am not trying to throw cold water on your dream at all, there's hundreds of folks in this business that do just fine under the scenario you lay out.

Best of luck to you, I'll leave others to actually answer your direct questions.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM

40,960 posts, read 49,272,120 times
In TX and North Texas the largest Independent Broker is Ebby Halliday Realtors. Great place to get started in the business with good training, people and support.

Check out their website under Careers.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,326,002 times
It doesn't matter if it's N. Texas, S Carolina, E Asia, or West Virginia; go find you a broker who teaches Brian Buffini AND Tom Ferry. Learn how to serve your clients. Learn how to mine your own database.

Forget your first year splits. Learn how to earn. I doubt if an independent will do that for you, and certainly not a typical team.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM

40,960 posts, read 49,272,120 times
And don't fall for anyone who talks about "Residual Income" JMO

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM

67 posts, read 164,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
For some reason, as I read your post, I thought to myself; this person isn't much of an entrepreneur. Not that that is a bad thing, just a person looking for security. Flexibility is very nice, but the flexible part is the expanding the work week up, not down. Your business is driven by you and your dreams. Dream big.

If I was looking to hire someone, I'd want to have someone tell me they wanted to buy the brokerage from me at some point.
Thanks for the honesty. I do have every intention of owning my own brokerage down the line! But we all have to start somewhere. I don't feel that the typical licensing education is enough to learn the business well, and this is my short-term goal.

Thank you, Rakin, I will look at Ebby. Ebby is a wonderful lady, a true inspiration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals