Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:48 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,137,927 times

Advertisements

My sister listed her house 4 months ago and hasn't had one buyer look at it. She lives in NEPA. The realtor did not list it on Craigslist so I mentioned it to her that she should. We put an ad on Craigslist and 2 days later there is someone who wants to see it and possibly make an offer.

Should the realtor split the commission since you found the buyer or do they have the right to all of the commission? The commission is 6%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,488,160 times
Look at the contract and see what it says.

Finding a buyer is the relatively easy part. NOW the work begins!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,334,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My sister listed her house 4 months ago and hasn't had one buyer look at it. She lives in NEPA. The realtor did not list it on Craigslist so I mentioned it to her that she should. We put an ad on Craigslist and 2 days later there is someone who wants to see it and possibly make an offer.

Should the realtor split the commission since you found the buyer or do they have the right to all of the commission? The commission is 6%.
Becky, first and foremost, as despicable as it may seem, Sis likely signed an exclusive right to sell listing agreement. Craigslist is full of fraudulent buyers and sellers. Not to say even 1 in 100 are bad, but there are bad people that the Realtor will now need to filter out.

If you wish, for certain have that conversation with your agent about the situation. You may want to include the broker if the agent is not the managing broker.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM

10,997 posts, read 22,035,906 times
You found someone who may want to look and may want to make an offer? Is the person a qualified buyer? You've got a lot of variables here.

Aside from that, the answer is in your contract. Secondly, if it's been that long with no showings from agents then the house is probably overpriced. If it's overpriced and you sell it, would the house even appraise?

Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You found someone who may want to look and may want to make an offer? Is the person a qualified buyer? You've got a lot of variables here.

Aside from that, the answer is in your contract. Secondly, if it's been that long with no showings from agents then the house is probably overpriced. If it's overpriced and you sell it, would the house even appraise?
The buyer is qualified. They just lowered it $10K. I hope it appraises.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,682,103 times
Typically you can only split the commission with another licensed real estate agent. Typically you pay the full commission no matter where the buyer comes from.

Read your contract, the answer is in there. There is no standard contract, and we can't guess what your sister signed.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM

She just asked the realtor and as the contract states, there will be no discounts for finding your own buyer.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,270,754 times
how much is the house?
how has the Buyer shown they are qualified?
does the Buyer have an agent?

I should probably try Craigslist again, just because in theory times change. But 2+ years ago when I put listings on Craigslist, it was not only worthless, but what activity did occur was 95% spam/fraud. And could continue for MONTHS after a home sold.

90%+ of Buyers use a Realtor. So clearly, 90% of Buyers aren't using Craigslist to find their home. Of the 10%, half or more are not arms length transactions ... meaning the chances of a real, but random, buyer is less than 5%. The qualified Buyer could have found the (would have found) home through "normal" and above board channels.

Heck, you might be really lucky. This Buyer might actually be a fool and pay full market value with no Realtor to protect his interests - part him from his money and be glad a shot in the dark Hail mary worked.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 AM

502 posts, read 898,392 times
4 months and not a single person even came to see the house? Then suddenly, one week on Craig's List and you have a potential buyer? That's just weird. I know the price was lowered $10,000, but unless that's a huge % of the listing price, that's not much to explain 4 months of not one single person or agent seeing the house.

Other than being over-priced, is there anything else about the house? In the boonies? A major fix-it-upper? Anything?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:23 AM

123 posts, read 243,836 times
my condo is listed, and I can cancel anytime, as long as it is not in escrow. I'm sure they would sue me if I tried to pull a fast one, though. I was reading advice on hiring a listing agent, and one of the things was that a good LA will let you fire them at any time....and they can fire you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals