Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,768,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
So do you feel that the Realtor Association /MLS fees are a burden or do you feel that one transaction a year or so is worth the payments to the association? I guess you keep it the license active.
I keep the license active because i never know when a tenant is going to break a lease -
Annual association dues (local,state, & federal) run $450/yr, +~$400/ yr for mls access, + $300/yr for electronic key, +$300 to hang my license, +$200~ish per yr for the state license + continuing ed.

One transaction a year breaks even, two or more, and youre saving money. But to be honest, i would never have gotten the deals i've done without being an agent. Not many agents are going to spend much time helping you find $70k rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM

654 posts, read 1,254,649 times
I took a look at the Realtor Asso and dues in Las Vegas.

Here its : $560 for the year in dues, $440 for MLS, $100 MLS key plus (one time activation fee $100) ($275 refundable lease key deposit) or a person can do the E-key at $50 for the year.

Adding all that up is $1,000 + $100 (first time fee) + $275 deposit = $1375.

or Ekey way = $1,000 + $100 (first time fee) + $50 = $1,150

Those are the Realtor dues, then depending on what brokerage: KW is $45 per month and 70/30 split . Realty One is 100% with $100 per month.
Going with Realty One Group would be $1,200 a year.

So I would be in it $2,350 per year. Of course I could pay on a monthly basis. But I suppose one deal could pay for this per year at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I keep the license active because i never know when a tenant is going to break a lease -
Annual association dues (local,state, & federal) run $450/yr, +~$400/ yr for mls access, + $300/yr for electronic key, +$300 to hang my license, +$200~ish per yr for the state license + continuing ed.

One transaction a year breaks even, two or more, and youre saving money. But to be honest, i would never have gotten the deals i've done without being an agent. Not many agents are going to spend much time helping you find $70k rentals.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM

982 posts, read 3,496,071 times
You can totally list and potentially sell your own house as long as you disclose that you are an agent. If your property is upside down and for any reason require bank approval to sell, you can hang it up. The bank will not allow you to be the agent for your house if their approval is needed.

It might be easier thing to find a limited service agency. Your transaction seems like it may be a little too complicated for a beginner and your attempt to save 3% could possibly cost you more in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudydog1 View Post
Evening...I am curious if you are a licensed agent and wish to move can you list and potentially sell your own home? Assuming of course that you fully disclose to the buyers that it is your own home. That being said I have an ulterior motive behind my question. Recently retired I have been considering obtaining my license, especially since we have not been able to sell our home to relocate. We are upside down and I have cash to buy us out to some degree however the 6% commission really rings up the price tag. So it was suggested to me if I become an agent that skill is transferable pending local state requirements. I could list our own home and possibly shave off half of the commission? Therefore I have a new career started and can hopefully afford to list our home and relocate. Hope this doesn't sound to bogus..Thank you for your input.think:

Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,327,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Agents help sell houses - but they cant sell a house to someone who does not want it. If you are overpriced, the best agent in the world wont be able to sell your house. It is just a fact.

You can save money by representing yourself, if you buy/sell frequently you can save alot of money, BUT you will still have to be realistic about what your houses are actually worth. It does not matter what you paid, or what you invested in it - the ONLY thing that matters is what it is currently worth. People have a hard time doing that with their own houses.

I think there are 2 HUGE pitfalls when it comes to selling your own house 1) Thinking its worth what you paid or have in it and 2) Counting on the alleged "equity" for your next house.

I think most people make up a high number they think they will get for their house, then use that number to figure out what they can buy next - when they end up lower than they wanted on their current house, they can no longer afford the new house and they have gotten themselves in trouble.

Just be realistic and avoid those pitfalls and its not so bad....take emotion out, and be 100% rational. Emotions dont work well in real estate.
amen

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
In Florida you can as long as you disclose. With the explanation you gave, I would ensure you get a Broker that provides 100% commission structure. You may have to pay a transaction fee and Error and Ommission Insurance, but you keep the commission.

I work for a Broker here in Tampa where I get 100% commission, but pay 195 per transaction and 35 for E/O.

I would try For Sale By Owner right now and see if you can sell it. Pay a couple hundred dollars to get it into the MLS and see how that goes. Find a good Real Estate Attorney to handle the entire transaction.

Gulfer: What is the name of your broker please? I am looking for a broker with this type of fee structure.

Thanks!

Brj

Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM

41,008 posts, read 49,475,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjones99 View Post
Gulfer: What is the name of your broker please? I am looking for a broker with this type of fee structure.
You should figure out how to do direct mails. You'll have better luck.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,784,780 times
I looked at a house and the listing agent was the owner. Bit it doesn't stop there either. She also demanded all agents to bring their clients to her. For that she was ( graciously may I add) willing to give them a $500 finders fee. I had a pretty good laugh when I heard she was listing agent owner AND wanted to represent the buyer. I asked my agent if the contract came with a good supply of KY. I wanted nothing to do with that deal.
Talk about a greedy person.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM

8,548 posts, read 14,127,534 times
A lot of standard E&O policies will not cover you if you are selling a home you have an ownership interest in. So, if you're an agent make sure you have appropriate coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I looked at a house and the listing agent was the owner. Bit it doesn't stop there either. She also demanded all agents to bring their clients to her. For that she was ( graciously may I add) willing to give them a $500 finders fee. I had a pretty good laugh when I heard she was listing agent owner AND wanted to represent the buyer. I asked my agent if the contract came with a good supply of KY. I wanted nothing to do with that deal.
Talk about a greedy person.
A listing agent or a seller cannot prevent you from having your own agent. However, there's no legal requirement for them to compensate your agent. All MLS systems do have a rule that cooperating compensation must be offered but I know my MLS does not put a minimum on that amount. We recently had a limited service brokerage put a listing in MLS with a $1 co-broke and everyone was up in arms.

What you describe was not only greedy, but just plain stupid. I would have avoided this listing not because of the level of compensation but because if this person is willing to do something this dumb (it scared you off and I'm sure countless other buyers) what else are they capable of?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,784,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A lot of standard E&O policies will not cover you if you are selling a home you have an ownership interest in. So, if you're an agent make sure you have appropriate coverage.

A listing agent or a seller cannot prevent you from having your own agent. However, there's no legal requirement for them to compensate your agent. All MLS systems do have a rule that cooperating compensation must be offered but I know my MLS does not put a minimum on that amount. We recently had a limited service brokerage put a listing in MLS with a $1 co-broke and everyone was up in arms.

What you describe was not only greedy, but just plain stupid. I would have avoided this listing not because of the level of compensation but because if this person is willing to do something this dumb (it scared you off and I'm sure countless other buyers) what else are they capable of?

Exactly. The house was fine it was a flip. Its ok i get it peple have the right to mke money. I thought the price was a bit higher than what I was willing to ay buy my wife fell in love ith it and I was willing to buy until my agent got back to me with the sellers conditions. She was very snide about the whole thing. My realtor forwarded me the complete email.
The house was on the market for 6 months before the market heated up enough and I'm sure someone agreed to all her conditions to get the house. I'm not willing to take that kind if screwing. Well maybe if you're Kate Beckinsale but other than that no thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals