Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hi There. Here is the scenario: My aunt recently passed away, leaving my uncle with a house that has been paid off for years now. My uncle wants to "sell" the house to his son, my cousin for much less than actual value to help my cousin out. What is the best way to do this? Use an atty or a realtor? Try to get a mortgage or have my uncle take out a second mortgage that my cousin would pay for and my uncle would quit claim the house over to my cousin? I don't know.

The house is likely valued at just a guess, 110k-125k, maybe 140k. My uncle will sell it to my cousin for 50k. My cousin did have a mortgage pre-approval awhile ago, so he contacted that bank and apparently the bank has been dragging its feet regarding approval for a loan. Don't know if the bank doesn't want to be bothered with such a small amount or what.

I thought that my uncle really only needed an atty to draw up papers and close the deal. Not really needing a realtor because he has a buyer.

My cousin has a decent job, been there for atleast 7 years I believe, and could afford the mortgage easily because of the low price.

What's the best way to handle this? Thanks.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 11-01-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I would call a real estate attorney. It sounds like a fairly quick and easy transaction. I think your cousin should just get a mortgage and pay off his dad for the property.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM

14 posts, read 75,314 times
Maybe try seller financing? If the house is owned free and clear, the father can hold the note on the house for the son and put it at a super low interest rate. Even if the purchase price is closer to the full market value for the property, because the interest rate is so low the son may actually be losing less money to interest over the life of the loan, thus making it cheaper overall in the long run. Also it's great because instead of losing interest to a bank and having to qualify (and having to pay PMI if you don't have enough down for a conventional loan), all it takes is the father signing the papers. The interest goes to the father instead, and he may be able to pay less taxes with the installment payments.

It's one route but definitely check with a real estate attorney and tax guy to confirm this, but it's not a bad way to go.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks guys!!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Go the attorney route.

Interest rates are really favorable enough, if the son can find someone to write a small mortgage loan, that is the way to go, IMO.
Dad should NOT borrow and let the son pay after quit claiming. Loans still come with "Due on Sale" provisions, and that much equity may make accelerating the loan attractive.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
What you need isn't necessarily a real estate attorney so much as a tax attorney. There are significant tax issues implicated in a transaction like this, the upshot being the uncle could be liable for a huge gift tax bill if he doesn't do this right.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Drover beat me to it -- this is NOT an "arm's length sale" so by definition it will NOT be able to be used for valuation purposes to determine tax liabilities.

You probably DO NOT NEED an attorney for the title transfer aspects at all in most states -- you just record a quit claim deed, have the title recorded, record whatever lien / mortgage your uncle wants to collect from your cousin and SHAZAM the place has "changed hands".

In many places there are TITLE TRANSFER TAXES that need to be settles and there are implications for the Federal Income Tax because of "gift" that happens here. Technically it may be better to structure this as an installment sale and that would result in different tax treatment, in such a case (and depending on age / health of uncle...) there may be some reasons to avoid transferring the title...

There are books on estate planning that are helpful. I assume your uncle only has one son as heir. A good starting point is Gerald Condon's book: The Right Way and Wrong Way of Leaving Money to Your Children and Others. A little ore specialized (but extremely detailed...) is the book by David Fry with Rose & Stuart Hollander: Saving the Family Cottage: A guide to succession planning (yes, it works even for non-vacation homes...) Debra Jacobs has a very thorough book: Estate Planning Smarts -- A practical , user friendly, action oriented guide.

Good Luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks Mike, Drover and Chet. Drover, hadn't thought about the personal tax implications . Chet: So, the personal taxes would most likely be based on the title transfer tax and not the "gifted" amount, i.e. the huge gift tax bill? Am I understanding correctly?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
give the son a $12000 a year tax exempt gift
the house will need to be appraised at FMV

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM

How about this scenarios: My uncle quit claiming the house to my cousin, with my cousin getting a equity/second mortgage on the paid off house rather than my uncle doing it - that was suggested by another family member. They are definitely going to talk to an atty though, I appreciate the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals