Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:35 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,531,222 times

Advertisements

Say someone wanted to leave the offiice they work under and become a broker. How do mls fees work. Is it a flat fee like it is just being a sales person or is the broker charged per each listing?

Also, what is the process of actually listing a house on the mls from the broker side, as a sales person in offices around here there's usually a secretary that handles it.

Do you actually have to look up taxes and all that info on your own or is mls able to tap into other databases with the plot numbers and things like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,845,025 times
Brokers pay a significantly higher fee to the MLS than the agents pay. You need to call them and ask their fees. As for the data entry, each MLS across the country is different on how they get their information. You should know if your MLS is connected to a tax roll. Pretty sad if you don't know that. Call them and ask.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
You don't sound like you are ready to be your own broker. A simple call to your MLS will give you all the information you need about what you need to do to have a brokerage on the MLS. If you can't figure out that they are the people to call, then you'll have a difficult time being a broker.

Entering a listing on any MLS is just a matter of data entry. Your MLS can step you through it and I bet they even offer a class.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,531,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You don't sound like you are ready to be your own broker. A simple call to your MLS will give you all the information you need about what you need to do to have a brokerage on the MLS. If you can't figure out that they are the people to call, then you'll have a difficult time being a broker.

Entering a listing on any MLS is just a matter of data entry. Your MLS can step you through it and I bet they even offer a class.
WOw, it would be great if someone could give a straight answer. Guess what, every question posted on any area of citydata could be found online or by calling but its easier to ask sitting in front of the tv on your laptop.

I'm not even in real estate was asking for a friend. If you guys are so smart you would be able to give a straight answer. Pretty sad you can't.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,598,243 times
It depends on the specific MLS, as they each have their own fee structure, rules and procedures. As said, best to have your friend call your MLS to address these questions. Some MLS's, such as mine do provide access to tax records.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,415,363 times
Not sure why you feel it's necessary to be hostile and sarcastic, but your friend has only to call their local MLS and find out. Rules and dues vary from state to state, I imagine.

Here, we pay a yearly amount which I believe is the same for all agents/brokers. Secretaries and other non-licensed persons are not allowed to access MLS; you have to log in with your Lic. number and these are all "recorded", so to speak. Only the Broker can release or change a listing status in our state.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM

11,841 posts, read 34,485,074 times
We can't because the MLS is a local business, not a national one. What is the MLS providers name and phone number, I'll volunteer to call.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
WOw, it would be great if someone could give a straight answer. Guess what, every question posted on any area of citydata could be found online or by calling but its easier to ask sitting in front of the tv on your laptop.

I'm not even in real estate was asking for a friend. If you guys are so smart you would be able to give a straight answer. Pretty sad you can't.

It's because you don't understand the system. As others have stated there is no nationwide MLS. Some MLS's are flat rates, some charge per listing. Your friend needs to call and find out what his/her specific MLS rules are.

There are probably around 500 MLS's across the country and no I don't waste my time reading all of their rules for membership. You are welcome to do so, though. Have at it.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM

10,986 posts, read 22,023,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

Hey jackass, every MLS is different so we can't answer. Tell your friend to go do their own research if they want to open a business. Of course if they had a clue about RE they'd probably already have a rough idea of how it works so they probably aren't qualified to run a business anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals