Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,830 times

Advertisements

Im moving up to Rapid City from Georgia in mid-late march and im currently searching all over the net to find somewhere to live. Listed below are a couple places im looking at moving into.....I am single and ill be working on the AF base. One thing that is a must is Washer/Dryer Hook Ups. Please let me know you opinions....

Stoney Creek
Harmony Heights
Edgewood Estates
Minnesota Estates
Driftwood Estates

Thanks!

Last edited by FmsVandal; 02-02-2010 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 37,746 times
The Stoney Creek complex is very nice and very new. I'm touring them tomorrow! They seem to be pretty flexible with leasing options and I believe some units have w/d hookups. They are on the right side of town so they would be fairly convenient to the base. I hope this helps. Also check the Rapid City Journal rental listings. There are a lot! It shouldn't be much of problem. You've covered the hard part (employment), the rest should be easy. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM

412 posts, read 958,896 times
I lived in Harmony Heights when I first moved out here. I thought the apartments were very nice and they did have W/D hookups. For an additional fee you could even rent a W/D set if you didn't already have one.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 PM

451 posts, read 977,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmsVandal View Post
Im moving up to Rapid City from Georgia in mid-late march and im currently searching all over the net to find somewhere to live. Listed below are a couple places im looking at moving into.....I am single and ill be working on the AF base. One thing that is a must is Washer/Dryer Hook Ups. Please let me know you opinions....

Stoney Creek
Harmony Heights
Edgewood Estates
Minnesota Estates
Driftwood Estates

Thanks!

Good luck on your upcoming move!! We're not in SD yet, but we did visit Rapid City this past October and did see three of the apartment complexes you've mentioned. We also took tours and really got a good feel for the places.

To my recall, Harmony Heights is located in the outskirts of a more industrial area. There were townhouses surrounding this apartment as well. The apartments themselves are very nice. This complex is close to the interstate which is a plus. Additionally, we found the way into the complex to be very easy. They had garages, also. We met one of the residents who had nothing but great reviews. The apartments themselves are very nice.

The Minnesota Estates are close to Regional Medical Center. They were, to my recall, close to a golf course as well. They were kept up wonderfully and the apartment manager was very knowledgeable. When we looked, there were no two-bedroom units available at that time so it seems to be a popular complex. They also are in more of a residential area and had a very nice neighborhood feel to them.

My favorite was Stoney Creek. Additionally, I believe they are owned by the same company as Harmony Heights. They had very similar floor plans. They were newer and, for me, had the best views. They also had a garage option available. They also mentioned during our visit that they also offer the 6 month lease option (that is very nice especially if you plan on renting for just a short time).

Hope that helps.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,830 times
Thanks for the replies so far....

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,723,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmsVandal View Post

Stoney Creek
Harmony Heights
Edgewood Estates
Minnesota Estates
Driftwood Estates

Thanks!
I'd go with Stoney Creek or Harmony Heights. We lived in Minnesota Estates while our house was being built an it's a DUMP!!! We'd find used diapers in the entryways and the carpet was ripped up in the hallways. The walls had cracks in them and they were paper thin. It's mostly low-income families living there, which is fine, but you get what you pay for. Not to mention, the outdoor pool was closed all summer because it had cracks in it. The pool was fiberglass - meant for INDOORS.

I have some friends that live in Stoney Creek and I think they're beautiful. They have great amenities and awesome views. They're on the Westside but it's a straight-shot to base via the Southeast Connector (Hwy-79).

Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,446 times
Hey guys!!
me and my hubby are moving to Ellsworth in May. i have looked online at things to do there and it reminds me a lot of Indiana (which is where i am from). i look forward to PCSing there, however i have been looking online at maybe Renting a house but i havent seen a lot of choices and i dont want to get stuck in a "bad neighborhood". i currently live in Las Vegas (Nellis AFB) and i am not sure about the rest of the world, but right outside the base is the BAAD part of town. so i need some help on what cities to look at. i have heard west side of Rapid is good, black hills, spearfish & peadmont (?).
are these some good areas to be looking at ?

*thanks so much*
--Ali--

Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Ali, you've heard correctly. Rapid City's Westside and Southside are considered the more desirable parts of town while the Northside is older, more commercial, and shabbier. The AFB is Northeast of Rapid City but a major superhighway connects the Westside and the AFB so it's really not a bad commute. Rapid City gets no traffic to speak of.

Try Craigslist or the Rapid City Journal for homes for rent. Rapid City used to be behind on the Craigslist ads, but it seems that they have finally jumped on board and it's better.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 PM

142 posts, read 308,858 times
There's no place in the entire Dakotas that is as bad as the area around Nellis.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
There's no place in the entire Dakotas that is as bad as the area around Nellis.
Where's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City