Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,396 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, it's been many years since I have been to Rapid City and at the time of my visit I loved it. I thought of moving there (which was the reason for my 2 week visit) but was unsure of how well I would handle the winters and how well the employment aspects were. This was way back when in 1992. One of the apartment places I remember seeing was the LaCrosse Apartments near a Wal-Mart if I am correct. How is that area these days? I have decided to follow my dream and move to Rapid City by mid 2009 (hopefully at that time) and I would like to find a good apartment place that is also fairly close to shopping, grocery stores, and maybe even town. With the way gas prices are going I would love to do without the car if possible. I know Rapid is no metro like NYC, Philly, and the others but hopefully it is not entirely car-dependant either. Is the Missing Link still downtown, and Praire's Edge? Is this new mall replacing Rushmore Mall (or is it Rapid Mall, I can't remember now)? Thank you in advance to all who comment and I look forward to being a neighbor soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
I just wanted to welcome you to South Dakota. There are a few members from the Rapid area and I'll bet they'll be more then happy to help you out. It's great that you've decided on following your dream.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
LaCrosse Apartments are still there and they are right in the middle of Wal Mart, Rushmore Crossing, and the Rushmore Mall. I think it would be a very convenient place to live, and even though it is on the northside, they seem very clean.

Rapid Ride is our city bus system and it goes all over town. During the summer there is a trolley that runs downtown and along Skyline Drive for the tourists. Personally, I don't think I would be able to live in Rapid City without a car, but many people do it. It's just that Rapid City is so spread out due to all the foothills so it is just way more convenient having a car. I use my bike a lot too and I've taken to work a few times.

Prairie Edge is still downtown. In fact, I was just there the other day. It is one of my favorite stores. Downtown seems to be very "up and coming" and many new restaurants, bars, and shops are coming in. There is even a hookah bar moving in!

Rushmore Crossing is not supposed to replace Rushmore Mall but I think that Rushmore Malll will have to do some major sprucing up to compete with Rushmore Crossing. If you live in LaCrosse Estates you are a 5 minute walk to either one! My family moved here in 1990 and they talk about how much Rapid City has grown since then. I think our population was about 50,000 back then and today it's nearly 80,000. I'd bet if you came back you'd be blown away.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 AM

I'm sure I would Danny. And thank you for the reply. Is The Missing Link still downtown? What I loved so much about Rapid is that it was a grown up city without being overgrown. I do remember how distant everything can be and for those things (like Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Pine Ridge, the Badlands, etc) I would hope to rent a car. Now there is one thing I noticed when I was there and I took a guess at it. I remember looking around for gas stations with the lowest price (my goodness, I cannot even remember what we paid way back then) but every gas station had the same price so I guessed it was a state law or something. Was I right or did I come up with some weird theory? One more question if I may, is Rapid City bicycle friendly? I know you have bike paths in Rapid Park but what about on the roads themselves? Are tehy wide enough to allow both the use of cars and bikes and how are the driver's towards cyclists? When I live in PA now (just outside of Philly) there are signs that say to "Share The Road" but lots of times there just isn't that much road to be shared. A bicylcler really can have a rough time of it here.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Apartment details LaCrosse Estates Rapid City, SD

You had me curious so I found this. They have a very nice pool. They do have their own custom website and there's a link to it in the above url.

There isn't any law that makes each station charge the same amount in the state. They probably just do that to be more competitive.

Danny, I didn't realize that you weren't born here. What state did you come from?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 AM

Hey, thanks Jammie. I will be sure to check it out. I appreciate everyone's help, advice, and frienldliness to me. For me something like that goes a long way.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Rapid City is very bicycle friendly and I've never encountered any trouble riding my bike around town. I live on the southside, so I usually take 5th Street or Mount Rushmore Road to get downtown and even though those roads get very busy, cars make way for cyclists. Kansas City Street was just revamped with a bike lane and Omaha Street has wide sidewalks for cyclists and pedestrians. There are a few "interesting" cyclists in town. One guy dresses in an entire Abraham Lincoln outfit and rides all around town!

Gas here now is at $3.59 per gallon. If you belong to the Safeway Club you can get a 10 cent discount at their stations.

Was the Missing Link a shop downtown? If so, I don't think it is there anymore. Maybe it's the Global Market nowadays.

Jammie, I was born in Kearney, NE in 1989. My family moved to St. Louis, MO for about a year and then we moved here. I'm a flatlander by birth and a mountain man by choice!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Default The Missing Link

Hi Danny,

Keep in mind I am going back to 1992 with memory here so I don't recall all the details. The Missing Link was an International deli/meat market that I believe specialized in German sausage. It was definitely downtown but I don't recall what street or what other stores it was next to. I may have that on my video that I shot at the time so I will try to check that. I still think back to that time and I have some funny (comical) little stories from my visit there. I wouldn't mind sharing them if anyone is up for a good friendly laugh at an "North Easterner".

Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 PM

I don't think The Missing Link is still around. Sorry!
I'd love to hear some comical stories though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City