Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 17,362 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new home! Rapid city? Friends call me Daniel Boone, love the outdoors and lure of peacefulness of mother nature. Love living off the land. I have got to live where I see deer and wild creatures. I know its a long way and not sure about the winter, and how does the local's treat outsiders? How's the fruit and veggies? Planning on retiring somewhere. Thanks G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 05:29 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,860,381 times
The fruit & veggies are fine. Organic or otherwise are available. If you want to see Deer, Elk, etc you will want to pick something with a smaller population than Rapid. I would suggest Pringle but there are lots of other small towns. The locals are live & let live types. They will generally be a reflection of you.

uh

Old 06-27-2015, 10:10 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times
I'd love to give Chipley, FL a try. The combination of high humidity and low wind speeds would take getting used too though.

Advantages of Rapid City... many less mosquitoes.. the low humidity might come as a shock to you if you've never lived in a low humidity environment. The black hills are beautiful. It's open and isolated, especially if you leave the Black Hills/Rapid City area and get into the rural areas.

Chinook winds keep it reasonably warm in the spring and fall. It's not too hot in the summer like it is in Pierre. There's no state income tax. The pay can be a bit low for work out there but that's true all over the country now.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:07 PM

11 posts, read 17,362 times
Default thanks ya'll

Thanks for info! Rapid city come in as #1place to hunt and fish. But I prefer something smaller.Just love seeing deer and wild animals.How hard is it to get a trophy whitetail? Been out west a few times and love it.You do not want to come to Chipley and area. Rules and Laws mean nothing here.The locals here are THE MOST sarcastic people, they do not like change and outsiders.Even the chief of police is awful. Its a shame cause the fishing and hunting is very good.Clear springs every where. No jobs means hard to live. Just ready to retire and chase deer and birds, live in the woods/ hills. Where people can get along/ some what. G.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,860,381 times
Trophy whitetails would be hard to come by in the Black Hills. There are plenty of them around,especially near Custer or Hermosa but they tend to be small when compared to what you can get in other parts of the country. A trophy Mule Deer is a possibility around Hot Springs. Most trophy hunters go after Elk or Mountain Lions near Pringle. Check with the Forest Service for the best places to hunt.

uh

Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 AM

33 posts, read 206,900 times
How funny, im moving back to Chipley in 3 weeks. Family related reasons. If you want trophy game, Montana is also a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City