Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,838,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Basically there are two sat services. Dish Network and Direct.. I wouldn't touch Direct. I have Dish Network and love it.
I've had direct TV for the last 6 years. It's ok. The difference between the cable and satellite providers is like picking which std you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 PM

23 posts, read 49,691 times
Even the deer tags aren't that easy to get anymore. I finally got drawn for a Black Hills rifle deer tag this year. Didn't get one for the last two. You can always archery hunt for deer, those tags are still pretty much over the counter. A little hint on the elk. If you don't care about getting a bull you can always put in for a cow elk tag. Your chances are much greater, about once every three or four years.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Guy View Post
Thank you, ElkHunter. Good to know. Totally random hunting question, if that's okay? Out of a .308, 30-06 or 7mm, which do YOU prefer for elk? I'm primarily interested in long range shots from 500-1000 yards (or more). Or would you recommend something more along the lines of a .338 Lapua? I hope it's okay to ask a hunting question in this forum. If not, I truly apologize and will private message you. If it IS okay, I'd be happy to hear advice from ANY of the other hunters in this thread. Never having been out that way, I've never had the opportunity to hunt elk. The possibility of being able to next season (yes, I realize the odds of me being drawn is slim to none, but the possibility exists) is just very exciting.
It is fine to ask here. Your .30-06 is fine. I compete with .30-06 at 1000, 1250 and 1500 yards with a M1 Garand and iron sites. I don't use a scope. Every year I take my elk with my Garand. In the hills, you are talking 200-300 yards as a long range shot.. I hunt with guys that think they have to have their .300 plus rifles. They shoot and then walk down their game. I shoot and my game drops. Shot placement makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:52 PM

47 posts, read 70,132 times
Thank you for the info, rapidsam. I honestly had no clue they were that easy to get so close to. Yeah, I've heard all about the draw and the elk population in the area (even saw a big write up, complete with pics, in the Journal, online). I also read an ad on the RC Craigslist about a disabled veteran who's been waiting about 15 years for an elk tag and finally got one...but now he has nowhere to hunt. It would be so awesome to luck out in the draw, though.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Thank you, SD4020...for the info on applying for a deer tag, AND for the info on which cable/sat provider to go with. I'd be thrilled to get a big mule deer, too.

rapidsam, that is VERY good to know. I assumed it would be about as difficult to be drawn for a cow as it would for a bull. As much as I'd love to have a huge set of elk antlers on my wall up there, that is far from my primary reason for wanting to hunt them. As far as I'm concerned, cows taste as good (if not better) as the bulls.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Thank you for the info, ElkHunter. That was definitely what I was hoping to hear. I have literally only had a scope on ONE rifle. Ever. And it was an old single shot, .22 bolt. The only reason there was a scope on it was because the guy I got it from couldn't hit the broad side of a barn without one. I have always preferred iron sights and even to the point of feeling like it would be cheating to shoot with a scope. People used to think it was a joke when they'd see my rifles and learn that I didn't own a scope. Of course, they stopped laughing when I outshot them with iron sights. They'd always blame it on their scope. Go figure.

Currently, I have no guns (of any kind). But that will change the day I get up there. My rifle of choice has always been a 30.06 (there's just something about them), and that's what I will be getting when I get to Rapid. Thank you again for all the info. You've been very helpful.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,838,623 times
I've never been a fan of the .30-06. Mostly my preference. I'm thinking my next gun purchases will be something in a .243 and then a .17hmr. I like a diversified armory.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 PM

I've always been a fan of the .30-06. I've taken from deer to antelope to elk with it. can't complain.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM

I'm with ElkHunter on this one. I've always been a big fan of the 30.06. Of course, I've always liked the .243 and .308 as well. Oh yeah, and the 30-30 has always been a favorite of mine. I had a lever action Winchester that I fell in love with when I was about 13 and had it up until I was around 30. Different rifles for different reasons. But my favorite will always be the 30.06. I just can't wait to have something bigger than whitetails to hunt. Any of y'all ever tag a buffalo? I know it's around $5k if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity, but a guy can dream.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Guy View Post
I'm with ElkHunter on this one. I've always been a big fan of the 30.06. Of course, I've always liked the .243 and .308 as well. Oh yeah, and the 30-30 has always been a favorite of mine. I had a lever action Winchester that I fell in love with when I was about 13 and had it up until I was around 30. Different rifles for different reasons. But my favorite will always be the 30.06. I just can't wait to have something bigger than whitetails to hunt. Any of y'all ever tag a buffalo? I know it's around $5k if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity, but a guy can dream.
Kind of off topic but down in Gillette Wyoming they have a Buffalo Hunt each year. All said and done, it worked out to $3 a pond for usable meat. That was 2 years ago and the .30-06 did just fine. One shot, he walked about 10 yards and layer down. You want some good burgers on the bar-b, mix your bburger, 50/50, elk and buffalo. You'll never have a burger better than that.

You are correct, a gun is a tool and just like your tools, each one has a purpose, they are not all
the same, but the ,30-06 is like an adjustable wrench, if you are only going to have one rifle, that's the one to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City