Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,932 times

Advertisements

Any tips for Part-time Criminal Justice works. I will be moving to Rapid City in early March. I'm looking forward to coming I hear so many nice things about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:42 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,724,056 times
Welcome to Rapid City! I live here too and I find it to be a great community and a wonderful place to raise children!

For Criminal Justice work you may want to contact the Pennington County Couthouse or some other local attorneys.

Pennington County, SD Home Page

Good Luck on the move! Where are you moving from?

Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
Hi Success, welcome to the forum. Have you been to Black Hills before? You will love it there.

Danny, Success and I had DM-ed a bit and he was interested in helping youth/children. Isn't there a boot camp out in the Hills and would there be anything available in the line of work his degree is in?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:20 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,928,711 times
There is a youth facility in Custer. There are openings avaiable, although I am not sure whether it is in the area you are looking for. There are several openings, one being a youth counselor position. A good site to check is Employment Site. There is a description of the position in the site and the state Bureau of Personnel site has a description of the benefits offered with employment. It is a good area to check out.

Rapid City is a decent-sized city with plenty to offer for shopping, recreation, and education. It has been progressing quite a bit in the past several years and has a bright future. I like the area and my favorite time of year to go there would be in May/Early June or September/October when there are not as many tourists, lower hotel rates, and it is still nice outside. Danny Banany is an excellent resource for Rapid City questions, so is Busy Social Worker and Elk Hunter.

Last edited by Chris19; 12-08-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-14-2007, 10:51 PM

15 posts, read 22,832 times
Hello everyone. Enjoyed reading the earlier postings from both sides. My husband and I are looking at moving to Rapid City. I am a RN with 17 yrs experience most recently in the operating room - so if there are any nurses out here please let me know about the local hospitals. Right now we are in Texas, my husband's home state but a couple of years ago we had the chance to visit Rapid City while I worked as a travel nurse in WY. I agree completely that the area is beautiful. So any information about health care jobs would be great, like maybe a pay range, which hospitals have the better reputation for providing care.
Thanks to all
SW

Old 12-15-2007, 11:32 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,724,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
Hello everyone. Enjoyed reading the earlier postings from both sides. My husband and I are looking at moving to Rapid City. I am a RN with 17 yrs experience most recently in the operating room - so if there are any nurses out here please let me know about the local hospitals. Right now we are in Texas, my husband's home state but a couple of years ago we had the chance to visit Rapid City while I worked as a travel nurse in WY. I agree completely that the area is beautiful. So any information about health care jobs would be great, like maybe a pay range, which hospitals have the better reputation for providing care.
Thanks to all
SW
Hello, my mother has worked in healthcare in Rapid City for years and she has never had any complaints. Rapid City Regional Hospital is a very large non-profit health system. It covers all of Western SoDak and parts of Wyoming, Nebraska, and Montana. That is likely where you would work in Rapid City. There is also an Indian Healthcare System in Rapid City that is gov't fuded and is based on the reservations. It serves tribal members that live in the Rapid City metro and other areas. RCRH also has branches in every town in the Black Hills region. There are also a lot of UrgiCare facilities, clinics, etc. Check them all out too!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:19 PM

15 posts, read 22,832 times
Thank you for the info. My next question is about the weather in terms of when a move can be made from around the Houston, TX area to Rapid City? We are thinking that we may not be able to make the trip until early March.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,091,844 times
Your making the trip in March means your making the trip at the worst possible time. Normally, SD get's there worst weather in March/April. However, when I say worst weather, I'm also going to tell you that if a storm rolls through, you'll be delayed a day. Two at most. Just be prepared to grab a motel and wait it out.

Not too many years ago, I was headed for Rapid. Weather was getting bad. As I pulled into Ogalala they announced all roads are closed. Got me a motel room at the local motel. Went down front to the restaurant and had supper. Stopped in the lounge and had a couple of beers. Went to bed. Woke up at 6am and the roads were plowed and open. Continued up to Rapid city, no problems.

So watch the weather, stop early if the weather is bad. You should be fine. At that time of year, you could have a care free trip, or you could be staying an extra day in a motel waiting for them to open roads. You never know in March and April.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,465,814 times
http://www.weather.com/outlook/healt...83?from=search

Silver, good luck to you with your move and welcome to South Dakota. The Hills are a really beautiful area, aren't they?

The site above will give you an idea of the weather by Rapid. If you decide on coming up here in March, be sure to check out the weather along your trip. Even Kansas and Nebraska can have some pretty rough weather during that time of year. It'd be great if you keep in touch with us about how your move is going and how you like it once you get relocated. What area of Tx. are you coming from?

Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,207,193 times
regarding the weather ( or perhaps I should say --climate)
A friend of mine got out of the Army after 20 years. He was from MN --as I am also.
The woman he married was from Florida. She didn't want to move to MN, her husband didn't want to move to Florida.
She relented and they moved to North Central MN. After 1 winter she said "no more".
He decided they should move to Rapid City as a "compromise" and they both have been there for 15 years now.
The weather in Rapid City can't be too bad if it worked out as a "compromise" for a Floridian and a Minnesotan.
Our radio weatherman ( here in Central MN) refers to Rapid City as "the banana belt" of the upper midwest due to its milder weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City