Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,380 times

Advertisements

Just found a bunch in my back yard up in Bedford. And they were doing things to make more bunches. Out with the Sevin... harsh but these things destroy my yard! They seem like clockwork for start of June...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
That's why we call 'em June bugs.
But yes, they leave a trail of damage behind. Annoying!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
On a walk through our neighborhood yesterday evening, I saw one neighbor who hand hung a bug bag from his cherry tree. Might as well hang out an "open for lunch" sign.

Those bug bags are worthless in combating Japanese beetles, although they can help a little if you can convince your neighbors to put them in their yards.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,707 times
Funny - both this year and last year mine arrived on the EXACT same date, May 29th. Rude to show up early, but I was ready for them so they did not stay long. I sprayed a few nights ago and so far no activity. They have in the past made lace of my crepe myrtles, roses (leaves AND flower petals) and cherry trees.

One of the nurserymen at the Farmer's Market said it was going to be a tough battle with them this year and they had seen them in early May!

He also said not to waste your $ on the already diluted Sevin, but buy the concentrate and mix it 2 TB per gallon in a sprayer and get the entire plant. Last year I used the pre-mix and it seemed I was out there every week fighting the new arrivals. This year I had to get on a ladder to reach the top of my largest crepe myrtle... don't want to give them anything to start on.

Word for the Japanese Beetle (Junebug) newbies - DO NOT use the baits or traps as all they do is draw them into your yard.

They sure are pretty, but a few of those bad boys can do some serious munching damage... get out today and spray!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
On a walk through our neighborhood yesterday evening, I saw one neighbor who hand hung a bug bag from his cherry tree. Might as well hang out an "open for lunch" sign.

Those bug bags are worthless in combating Japanese beetles, although they can help a little if you can convince your neighbors to put them in their yards.
Bug bags collect and kill a lot of bugs, in my experience.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 AM

363 posts, read 1,212,380 times
The bug bags are good if you are already swarmed as they will direct them from your trees and plants to the bags. But as pointed out they will attract more bugs than you would without.

I use the sevin mix with a big pump sprayer! I wish something more subtle would work. I have started applying milky spores but that takes a couple of years at least to catch on and I still will get "drift" from neighbours.

These things have ruined my plants in the past, they are the most ferocious eaters!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Bug bags collect and kill a lot of bugs, in my experience.
True, but as the others mentioned, the reason you are seeing succesful trappings is that you are drawing more of them to your yard than would normally arrive on their own. Apparently the scent of other JBs attract them, and that is the premise of the bait bags. IF you have to use them put them FAR away from any plants that would normally be affected.

It is better to treat your plants so as to REPEL them. The bait bags draw them to your yard. Once a few of them start in their scent draws more and soon you have a full blown infestation and no greenery.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,844,328 times
Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control. Too late for you to apply this year, but it always worked for us. It's systemic. You apply it to the roots, water it in, and it gets transported to the leaves. ONCE a year application. Fall is probably best, but very early spring might give it enough chance to be translocated up smaller trees.

Our lawn in IL had all the *** beetles favorite things: grapes, birches, wisteria, roses. I wouldn't let hubby use the product on the grapes because we ate them (I think its labeled for many fruit trees, though), but we saved our birches and wisteria each year from defoliation. The beetles start to eat the leaves but then die (we could sit on our wisteria-covered patio and hear the bugs dropping dead on the concrete!), and don't leave as much damage.

I told hubby we aren't planting "beetle food" in our new yard here...........but what DON'T they eat???

Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM

22 posts, read 59,273 times
Would someone post a picture?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBee View Post
Would someone post a picture?
Happy to - they look like Egyptian Scarabs...

They are here.... BEWARE!!! (Japanese Beetles that is...)-japanese_beetles.jpg

They are here.... BEWARE!!! (Japanese Beetles that is...)-japanese_beetles_full.jpg

Here is a web link with some more information!
Japanese Beetle: pictures, information, classification and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary