Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 13,178 times

Advertisements

Im sure this has been debated to death, but I am moving to the triangle in August and know virtually nothing about the area. I am looking for a convenient neighborhood, close to restaurants and shopping, but also safe (I have a 5-month old). I have to work in Butner, but am willing to commute 30-45 minutes if necessary. We are looking for a family atmosphere, but still semi-young (we are in our late 20's). The MOST imortant thing to us is convenience. We would either like to find a nice townhome or house in the $1200-$1500 range. Which city should we concentrate our search in Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill? Really, what are the major differences in these cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
There are big differences in the cities (town, in the case of Chapel Hill). Durham is grittier/funkier and seeing a renaissance in its downtown area but also has cookie-cutter suburbs (well, everywhere in this region has those). Chapel Hill is a college town but has grown tremendously in recent years, so there is "more to it" than the college part--though at your age, you'd probably still be interested in the "scene" uptown and in Carrboro. Speaking of which, Carrboro is a smaller town flush up against Chapel Hill, more popular with grad students and 20somethings, that you might look at, since it is in the direction of Butner. there's a very "crunchy" vibe there but not exclusively (it isn't Berkeley, but probably the closest thing to it in this part of the country).

Raleigh is a capital city that's grown explosively in the past decade, mostly suburban, but also the downtown is undergoing an upswing in restaurants, condos, cultural amenities. It's on the far side of the Triangle from Butner and I think the commute would get old. There is also Cary, a "bedroom community" that is mostly suburban family living, which you may like as your child gets older and possibly has siblings coming later. I don't know how the traffic would be from Cary to Butner (would depend on what part of Cary).

Really, you need to research these cities on your own (City-Data has capsule info on cities and towns in the US, or there's always googling the individual cities' websites) to get a general feel for the differences among the areas.

But most important is to visit and form your own impressions. This is the primo time of year to see this area!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,959,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegrad View Post
The MOST imortant thing to us is convenience.
"Convenience" is not really a word many use to describe Chapel Hill. While it has many amenities - restaurants, shopping, etc. - it is devoid of traditional big box stores and there are few fast food restaurants and strip malls. Development is very tightly controlled and the town tends to disfavor things many many associate with the "conveniences" of typical suburban living.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,085,197 times
You could consider north Raleigh (Wake County). Lots of housing options, good schools and as long as you're close to NC50 it would be a fairly reasonable commute. We're in zip 27613 and its about 25 minutes to Butner.

Frank

Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM

450 posts, read 1,352,242 times
I would probably look around Brier Creek in Raleigh or the neighborhoods off of 70 near there in Durham, which are much more affordable (I had to look at a map to find Butner, but that seems to me the best place for combination of conveniences/commute). There might also be other areas of north Durham near 85 that would be good, but I'm not as familiar with that area. If you get too far north in Durham county though, you won't have the conveniences you're looking for.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,110,313 times
Given your willingness to commute, you should have plenty of options. Most of Durham would fit the bill nicely for you, from areas near Southpoint (longer commute) to northern Durham (shorter commute). You also have NW Wake County in play, too, though prices in the areas of Wake you'd be looking at are generally higher than in Durham County.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM

305 posts, read 768,752 times
Francois, Carrboro is not in the direction of Butner. It's on the other side. Chapel Hill would be closer, but I think Wake Forest or Durham or certainly Creedmoor would be better options. Chapel Hill is probably at least 45 minutes from Butner and Carrboro would be further.

I'd avoid Henderson. Got relatives there and Durham would be a much better choice for late 20-somethings IMO.

P.S. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are plenty convenient. I don't have to leave town to grocery shop or anything. Contrary to urban myths you can also buy socks and underwear in town, too, and not only upscale items or "crazy hippie" things like bongos.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
Francois, Carrboro is not in the direction of Butner. It's on the other side. Chapel Hill would be closer, but I think Wake Forest or Durham or certainly Creedmoor would be better options. Chapel Hill is probably at least 45 minutes from Butner and Carrboro would be further.
You're right; I was thinking Butner was more west than it is. Seeing the map, looks like Durham is the best bet, or even Oxford, though that's not in the "metro" of course, and would be small town living.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,347,663 times
In North Durham you can take the back roads and get to Butner in 15 minutes. Good schoools, safe, housing priced nicely, and pretty. There are grocery stores and restaurants within a short drive and you can be downtown in about 20 minutes. Shopping at Southpoint Mall would be a bit of a drive at about 30 minutes. I would rather live closer to work than shopping though.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:49 PM

162 posts, read 735,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
P.S. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are plenty convenient. I don't have to leave town to grocery shop or anything. Contrary to urban myths you can also buy socks and underwear in town, too, and not only upscale items or "crazy hippie" things like bongos.
Where??

I have to run to Target (in Durham) for things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary