Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

237 posts, read 915,003 times

Advertisements

I have been on this site for awhile and read all the reports and have visited all the areas and cary we like the best. I keep hearing it is expensive now maybe it is because i am from NJ and my meaning of expensive is a little different than some. I have been looking and have found several homes around 1800-2300sqft in good shape on nice size lots built in the 1980's or 90's , so for us from Jersey that is not old , my house was 38 years old and that was in a newer section of the city I lived in. The prices of these house are 200k to 260k with taxes of $2000 a year. Now for some that might seem expensive but in Jersey similiar homes that are older and need more work would be double with taxes of 3 to 4 times that. So my question is are there areas of cary ( that maybe these homes are in) that should be avoided? Or is the word expensive just a little different to different people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
If you look around the area, you'll see that North Raleigh and Cary have the more expensive homes based on dollar per square footage.

As you leave North Raleigh and head out to Wake Forest, prices go down just a bit.

Same thing when you leave Cary and head to Holly Springs or Fuquay.

Compared to NJ and NY and DC, none of our prices are that expensive but its all relevant to where you are coming from.

Vicki

Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 PM

185 posts, read 992,015 times
I've seen some areas of Cary that are more expensive than that. but coming from NJ you'll probably either not have sticker shock or only mildly.

I've been doing online search and found that the prices are higher than rural economy depressed upstate NY (where I am), but less than teh prices in Pa where I grew up.

I am seing that the price goes up alot to get 2 car garage (guess wihtout snow it's low priority), but it's still doable if you have a good job. And there's not that many areas of the country where you can have a good paying job and the housing is still affordable it seems.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Average new construction prices in Cary are over $500,000 as larger homes are in demand.
Average resell home prices are much lower, with many affordable homes available in Cary, based on the size and amenities of older homes.
Cary gets a lot of grief for lack of affordability, but that is overblown, IMO.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
They're fine. I live in one of those older neighborhoods where the houses are under 2K and we really enjoy it.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:49 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull136 View Post
Or is the word expensive just a little different to different people?
Yes. If you are coming from the northeast, Florida, California, etc then the prices here will make you think you've gone to heaven. If you are coming here from the corn-belt, Texas, Michigan, etc then the prices here will make you think you've gone somewhere not as nice as heaven

Old 06-11-2007, 07:37 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,598 times
Its supply and demand, Cary, Raleigh and Charlotte have all increased in price and more people are looking to the further out areas like Clayton, Holly springs ect to find that cheaper home. Nc will continue to increase in value as other states decrease and things will balance out at some point. Its alot like the stock market sell high and buy low, well Cary is not as low any more so other areas have become hot.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:27 AM

85 posts, read 322,862 times
I'd say look at price per square foot. We found a home in Cary that we liked (yes, we'd be building, so it's a bit different), and price per square foot it was the same as our home in an "upscale" neighborhood in Massachusetts. I was really, really surprised. In the end, we're going to build that house in Apex for $20 per square foot less.

I found using price per square foot in our home search really helpful.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyrider View Post
I'd say look at price per square foot. We found a home in Cary that we liked (yes, we'd be building, so it's a bit different), and price per square foot it was the same as our home in an "upscale" neighborhood in Massachusetts. I was really, really surprised. In the end, we're going to build that house in Apex for $20 per square foot less.

I found using price per square foot in our home search really helpful.
I wouldn't look at price per square foot, because it depends on what you are paying for. Some homes are built better and have nicer features than others. To answer the question though, the same home in Cary will typically cost you more than in neighboring cities. All the press it has gotten as such a nice place to live drove up demand, and thus prices.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM

85 posts, read 322,862 times
If you're comparing similarly-built homes (meaning, not tract vs. custom, same type of building materials and finish work), then price per square foot is something valuable to evaluate. It shed the light for us.

In this case, we are buying the exact same home in Apex that we found in Cary, and it's $50k less in Apex. Larger, flatter lot in a great area too. So in this case, I'd say Cary is more expensive than Apex in it's the same product 10 miles away for a lot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary