Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 28,721 times

Advertisements

I know (through your help) that both CV and WC condos are older, in very convenient locations (transportation and shopping). Online photos look very similar. But a two bedroom in WC seems to be selling for thousands more
than a two bedroom in CV. In preparation for my visit, can anyone explain
this significant price difference? Also, if anyone is familiar with condos at Bishops Park (Raleigh), are they similar? (I'd love to have the candid lowdown before I meet with a real estate agent. Thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 PM

478 posts, read 2,304,954 times
Simply put? Chapel Hill real estate is the lucky recipient of the fabulous press that comes with being home to one of the most well-regarded public school systems in the country. Entry-level real estate in Chapel Hill is decidedly inflated mainly for that reason (getting a house in CH or Carrboro is exponentially more expensive), so that explains that.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,674,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta3102 View Post
I know (through your help) that both CV and WC condos are older, in very convenient locations (transportation and shopping). Online photos look very similar. But a two bedroom in WC seems to be selling for thousands more
than a two bedroom in CV. In preparation for my visit, can anyone explain
this significant price difference? Also, if anyone is familiar with condos at Bishops Park (Raleigh), are they similar? (I'd love to have the candid lowdown before I meet with a real estate agent. Thanks!)
One is in Chapel Hill....it's going to be more then almost any other area around.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,966,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
Simply put? Chapel Hill real estate is the lucky recipient of the fabulous press that comes with being home to one of the most well-regarded public school systems in the country. Entry-level real estate in Chapel Hill is decidedly inflated mainly for that reason (getting a house in CH or Carrboro is exponentially more expensive), so that explains that.
Combined with the fact that Orange county in general and Chapel Hill in particular have a pretty strong control on growth, while Wake County has virtually none.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the "bottom line" comments! I have grown children but when they were of school age, the best school system would have been top priority. Good public schools don't just happen.....I wonder why Wake County has been less successful than Orange County? Higher property taxes can't be the whole answer!

Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta3102 View Post
Thanks for the "bottom line" comments! I have grown children but when they were of school age, the best school system would have been top priority. Good public schools don't just happen.....I wonder why Wake County has been less successful than Orange County? Higher property taxes can't be the whole answer!
Toot68 touched on part of the answer:

Quote:
Combined with the fact that Orange county in general and Chapel Hill in particular have a pretty strong control on growth, while Wake County has virtually none.
And really, comparing Wake County schools to Chapel Hill/Carrboro schools is not a fair comparison on its face. For one thing, Wake County schools encompass an entire county with a wide variety of schools and varying test scores, teaching styles, curiculums, etc. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is a VERY SMALL geographic area; it needs not be said that the shadow of the University looms large over those kids before they are old enough to understand the weight of that expectation.

The tight geographic reins under which the CHC schools exist had its genesis under Jim Crow and classism (let me put it this way: Carrboro used to be where the "help" lived, close to the wealthier classes in Chapel Hill, who did not want to be associated with the rest of Orange County). Nowadays, the legacy largely exists to maintain the exclusivity that comes with attending a CHC school.

But are they better than WCP schools? That's a loaded question and one I won't touch, but let me put it this way: I JUST attended a WCPS (as did my sister) and we both got into Carolina! Muahahahaha!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM

SeattlitefromNC, thank you for offering a master class in reply to my
(now) rather embarassing question. I'm an ESL/Special Education teacher
in Toronto, retiring this June. I've avoided teaching in high schools which
are known for their exclusivity; I suspect that I would have found my way into the Raleigh school system by choice, if I had decided to relocate earlier. And next week, when a student shares great news (and that could be acceptance into a top university or becoming the family's first high school graduate)....we will shout together....Muahahahaha! And when you arrive at Carolina, I suspect you'll take the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary