Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times

Advertisements

I heard from a source that they are going to start using non police vehicles doing speed traps.

Think those work trucks doing mowing and vehicles typically used in traffic surveys.

I saw 2 on I-1 at the Tryon exit last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I heard from a source that they are going to start using non police vehicles doing speed traps. Think those work trucks doing mowing and vehicles typically used in traffic surveys. I saw 2 on I-1 at the Tryon exit last night.
I think I can outrun a mower.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Using umarked cars, mowers, etc is nothing new in the area.

Article on this was on WRAL this am Troopers look to slow down lead-foot drivers on interstates :: WRAL.com

Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
When I used to be a Raleigh PO, we'd sit in a car in the median and run radar then have marked cars lined up on the on ramp at the next exit and they would pull the cars after the officers in the plain jane car in the median radared them and called out the car.

Nothing is ever as it seems

Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I don't see how that is a speed trap. My understanding of a speed trap is when the speed limit drops a large amount without warning and the sign is typically "hidden" from view by bushes or trees. It's not a trap if you had advance warning about the posted limit.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I don't see how that is a speed trap. My understanding of a speed trap is when the speed limit drops a large amount without warning and the sign is typically "hidden" from view by bushes or trees. It's not a trap if you had advance warning about the posted limit.
Ok, that sound smore like an epsiode of Any Griffith with Barney Fife in teh bushses shooting radar lol!!

A trap is pretty much anytime where you can be driving down the road and not realize you are being hit by radar..as in the unmarled car in the median example I gave.

Your version is a possibility too but I am not so sure that is used around here anymore

Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post

A trap is pretty much anytime where you can be driving down the road and not realize you are being hit by radar..as in the unmarled car in the median example I gave.
I wouldn't call that a trap as much as I would call it smart police work. I will admit that I am guilty of having a lead foot, but I knew what the speed limits were and I chose to break them.

Live and Learn i guess.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
I noticed Maryland used to run radar from parked highway maintenance vehicles (tractors, etc) as far back as 1983. I thought it was a little devious back then as I liked to haul some.

Nowadays, well, I've mellowed and appreciate any measures taken to cull out the morons jeopardizing others' safety (even though I might have been one in the old days).

I just wish LE would really attend to roadway menaces more visibly and with less advertisement. I drove for 29 years on MA and got a handful of tickets, but the PO were everywhere enforcing traffic laws and safety. In my 5 years here it really appears to be a lawless land, from interstates on down to country roads.

I keep hearing the budgets are to blame but when is that going to stop being a valid reason? Hasn't been since at least 2005.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
When I used to be a Raleigh PO, we'd sit in a car in the median and run radar then have marked cars lined up on the on ramp at the next exit and they would pull the cars after the officers in the plain jane car in the median radared them and called out the car.

Nothing is ever as it seems
Yep, knew this was a tactic. Do you remember when they first opened 540 and had that old car sitting in the median? I think they used a different scenario there...I'm forgetting what it was, a camera maybe? Oh, or a dummy? When that road was brand new, ppls sped like crazy b/c the road was so smooth and easy to drive on, it was like a NASCAR track. Not like the other patched up mess we have around here that feels like you are driving on cobblestone streets of London, bumpedy bump!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
*edit* nevermind. didn't see that someone else already posted the WRAL link.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary