Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 AM

98 posts, read 131,771 times

Advertisements

You can have your way with all the places you mentioned in your price range. $200k-$300k can buy you a nice home in all these towns. $300k-$400k can put you into extremely nice, good size homes on really good size wooded lots.

Keep in mind in all the towns you listed, you can be far away from everything or close to everything. It all depends on which part of town you choose. Do not depend on using a site like Mapquest to make your decision. That will calculate from the center of town and you may live in one of the towns but be 10 miles away from its center. You really need to drive around the towns.

All the towns you mentioned will offer you enough inside the town limits to enjoy daily life, with the possible exception of Holly Springs. Holly Springs has just recently began developing more retail. It will be a while before there is as much there as other towns, but they will get there. Holly Springs is really nice, but I always think of it as a longer term place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
We looked at golf course communities for a while before we decided that we didn't want to pay the premium. Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs is beautiful and in your price range. Also, Glen Laurel in Clayton, really nice, very affordable and they have a great elementary school.

Generally speaking, Cary and Apex are a little more expensive than Clayton, Holly Springs and Fuquay but in your price range you will have a lot of options. I think Apex may be your best bet. Good luck!
With the exception of "golf course community" requirement Apex is definitely the best choice. There aren't any golf oriented mega-subdivisions in Apex but IMO (We lived there for 2 years) that's something that made it a little more small-town community oriented than Holly Springs and Fuquay (even though Apex is larger than both of those towns). $300-$400k is probably the "Bulk" of the Apex housing market as well.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:20 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamFam View Post

- easy access to major highways for his job
Holly Springs is still lacking good highway access. It's coming in 2012 with 540 western wake. Right now we are taking 55 which can be busy or Holly Spring Road.

I would assume Fuquay is in a similar situation.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,564 times
It might help to know where you're coming from. I moved here from Baltimore so I was used to being 5-10 minutes from anywhere I needed to go. We looked in Holly Springs, Clayton, Fuquay, etc and they were just too "far out" for me. We chose Cary but I also like Apex a lot. Be careful, though, because an Apex address could end up being right next to Holly Springs or even Fuquay, especially most of the new construction neighborhoods. Kind of like how now there are neighborhoods that are technically in Cary that are in Chatham County!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 AM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsee View Post
It might help to know where you're coming from. I moved here from Baltimore so I was used to being 5-10 minutes from anywhere I needed to go. We looked in Holly Springs, Clayton, Fuquay, etc and they were just too "far out" for me. We chose Cary but I also like Apex a lot. Be careful, though, because an Apex address could end up being right next to Holly Springs or even Fuquay, especially most of the new construction neighborhoods. Kind of like how now there are neighborhoods that are technically in Cary that are in Chatham County!

True. We moved to Apex in a new neighborhood. Our address is Apex but we are technically in Wake County. We're about 1/2m from Cary. The only pain in the rump part of that was trash collection. We have to pay for it. However, the service is MUCH better than when we lived in downtown Raleigh.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoodwin39 View Post
True. We moved to Apex in a new neighborhood. Our address is Apex but we are technically in Wake County. We're about 1/2m from Cary. The only pain in the rump part of that was trash collection. We have to pay for it. However, the service is MUCH better than when we lived in downtown Raleigh.
You may have to pay $20/month for trash collection. . . .but don't forget. . . . NO CITY PROPERTY TAXES!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You may have to pay $20/month for trash collection. . . .but don't forget. . . . NO CITY PROPERTY TAXES!
Oh yeah! That is a TOTAL plus, too!! There are some great things about being "in the country"....that is for sure!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
To avoid the "far out" parts of Apex; you can easily do that just by taking note of the zipcodes. If it is in 27502 or 27523 it is in the "real" Apex; if it is in 27539; its in "Wake County" with an Apex address that can be as far away as bordering Fuquay or South/Central Raleigh!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 AM

35 posts, read 100,239 times
Eagle Ridge would be my reccomendation. They have different price points of homes, a decent pool for summer, golf is ok- course just bought and run by new managment, heard the condition of the course won't be great but it is very affordable and you will be a member at 2 other couses in the area as well, all run by the same company. They are putting in a gym at the club house. Shopping is close (Target, Kohls, Home Depot, grocery.) Fairly close to the freeways although traffic will be tough at certain times getting to RTP. It is south of the city and close to downtown.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 18,990 times
Thank you all for your insight and responses. I really do appreciate it. My husband is there now and trying to take every free moment to drive around and get oriented to the different areas. The one thing he has said is that everyone is incredibly nice and hospitable. I told him I found that already with your responses - SO THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary