Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 29,099 times

Advertisements

We just found out that we will be relocating to the Raleigh area from the Pittsburgh area. We have 2 teenage sons, one is off to college in the fall but the other will be in 10th grade next year. He is very involved in athletics - basketball and baseball. Wake Forest and Raleigh seems to have numerous high schools, does anyone have a recommendation on which high schools to look at that combine good academics and good athletics? What about nice neighborhoods that aren't all small children? I'm overwhelmed and looking for advice on narrowing down my choices. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,875,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panht1 View Post
We just found out that we will be relocating to the Raleigh area from the Pittsburgh area. We have 2 teenage sons, one is off to college in the fall but the other will be in 10th grade next year. He is very involved in athletics - basketball and baseball. Wake Forest and Raleigh seems to have numerous high schools, does anyone have a recommendation on which high schools to look at that combine good academics and good athletics? What about nice neighborhoods that aren't all small children? I'm overwhelmed and looking for advice on narrowing down my choices. Thanks!
I have a friend in Philly who is dying to relo here...lucky you! I only have girls so can't tell you anything about athletic programs for boys...I'm sure another poster will comment.

I can tell you that Wake Forest is a very nice place. The schools there are good, and it is in Wake County. You need to share info on commute and price and housing needs so ppl can help you. There are lots of threads that share this info.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,936 times
Yes, the Triangle area has many high schools. It covers a large area that is spread out. You will have to take into consideration the commute. Where will the job be located? What are you looking for in a home and how much do you plan on spending? This would help us greatly find the best high schools for you.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I guess we are looking at houses maybe around the $400K-$500K range, which is hopefully what we will get for our house here. Less would be better, lol. We would want a 4-bedroom, 3-car garage, with an office (I work out of the house), and the rest pretty standard. Would love to build but I don't know if that is feasible in 6 months!

I My husband will be working on 6 Forks Road, and travels alot so airport access is also a concern.

My older son will be going to school in Philly!!! Unfortunately, his 2nd choice school was Wake Forest... now I wish he were going there!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 PM

997 posts, read 4,646,936 times
In the Six Forks area, you are probably looking at homes that attend Leesville, Millbrook and Wakefield. I like Leesville the best. That area is North Raleigh. You will probably be looking in the 540 corridor.

Some neighborhoods are Brier Creek, Stonebridge, Stonehenge, Wakefield, Bedford. Several others. Too many too list. Of the ones I listed Stonebridge and Stonehenge would be older. Brier Creek, Wakefield, and bedford would be newer.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
In the Six Forks area, you are probably looking at homes that attend Leesville, Millbrook and Wakefield. I like Leesville the best. That area is North Raleigh. You will probably be looking in the 540 corridor.

Some neighborhoods are Brier Creek, Stonebridge, Stonehenge, Wakefield, Bedford. Several others. Too many too list. Of the ones I listed Stonebridge and Stonehenge would be older. Brier Creek, Wakefield, and bedford would be newer.

Thank you! Very helpful to get me started. We definitely like newer homes, and hopefully can find something in our price range.

Do you have any recommendation of neighborhoods in the Wake Forest area that are newer homes? I know some others from his company live in that area.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:14 PM

Sorry your son isn't at Wake Forest, it's a wonderful school. I am particularly impressed with their medical research. But UPenn and D are up there

Wake Forest, you'd certainly find something in that range. And, you could go a little less $$. Most of the homes their are newer. Do you want in a planned community - golf, pool, trails, etc. or, more land, space for own pool, no or minimal HOA?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Yes, Wake Forest was really top of our list after we saw it... it's beautiful. But he got into UPenn early admission, so we're happy with that too!

A golf community would be awesome, but I just assumed they would be out of our price range. HOA is fine with us (I think)... we don't have much of that here in western PA unless you are in a condo/townhouse community! I would prefer to be somewhere close to a little bit of shopping - grocery store, Target, etc. Not way out in the boonies. But I like wooded lots too. Can you think of a neighborhood that fits that? I really appreciate your help!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Early admit, he must have good scores I'll send you a direct message (DM), look at the top right of this page in a few minutes....

Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM

24 posts, read 54,136 times
Am so glad to hear your heading this way... where in Pittsburgh are you? I'm from Mt. Lebanon years ago! You will find this area a true delight (or at least I hope you like it as much as we have). Our son was a Sr when we 1st got here and our daughter also was in her first year of college and didn't make the move. We chose Cary. Great schools & great sports team. But as others here have mentioned N. Raleigh and Wake Forest offer lots of choices too. Not to worry about shopping around here - there's plenty of places for that! Most subdivisions have small shopping centers with life stuff right around the corner (grocery store, dry cleaners, sandwich shop, nail salon etc). Then there are 5 major malls and large shopping centers too! Getting into a golf community here isn't hard. There's Wake Forest of course but also Holly Springs (Sunset ridge) and others in N. Raleigh... Actually you'll find you will have a lot to choose from.

Wishing you all the best! You're going to meet some of the nicest people ever here in the triangle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary