Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,424 times

Advertisements

I'm an elementary teacher planning on relocating to Cary, NC before the summer begins. I'm in my early 30's, recently sold my NJ home, and need info on different town home developments in Cary and the teaching job market.

I've spent a couple weekends searching for homes and feel completely overwhelmed. I want a safe area that's good for 30 somethings. I would like a development with a pool and a garage if possible. I'd prefer new construction, but it doesn't have to be. Any suggestions?

Is downtown Cary nice/safe/good for a young professional? I was looking at the Samuel's Keep development. I also looked in the NW area, Stonewater. Lennar is building out there.

I'm licensed to teach in NC, I have years of experience, and I have my Master's degree. Will it be difficult to find a teaching position?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 03:39 PM

481 posts, read 1,087,287 times
Hi and welcome! We moved here from NJ as well and a couple of years later my sister in-law (who is a teacher ) was thinking of moving here. Not sure if what she found out turned them off or wasn't sure about the move in general. There are some differences from NJ to NC...there are no unions here. You don't have the same input you would in NJ. State pay is not bad. She has over 15 years experience and I think that top pay is high 50's to maybe 60. My sister in law teaches in Flemington and now makes over 70 but she also pays 9k in property taxes! It's all relative. Here you have some traditional and some schools on a year round schedule. Which I happen to love but I know my sister in law was not a fan more so due to any makeup days are on done on Saturday( half day but still ). Which for here might be a couple... depends on the snow. Year round is 9 weeks on and then 3 weeks off. It is also a regional school system...not run by towns where in NJ you see that more. Check out the web site Wake County Public School System
Not sure what jobs are like for teachers. If you don't mind what I mentioned and you can secure a job.. the other things will fall into place. It's a great place to live but going in with some information will be a huge help. Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,878,268 times
Hi! I have a good friend who is a Wake County teacher and is mid 30's, he moved here from the Buffaloe area a few yrs ago. He is preparing for his national boards now and has taught at maybe 3 area schools? He also knows a woman who moved here from LI to teach, she found it to be way too different and has left teaching. I'll DM you with more info.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,424 times
Thanks for the info So funny, I also live in Hunterdon County, NJ and I'm paying almost $12,000 in property taxes so I'm excited about the move. I know I'll take a pay cut, but home prices and taxes more than make up for that.
Are there certain areas of Cary you recommend for someone my age?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM

32 posts, read 84,636 times
There is a new elementary school opening up one mile from Stonewater in Cary=-Alston Ridge. Go to www.wcpss.net. Teaching jobs aren't that easy now to get so you have to jump on them when you see them. I teach at a high school but I have been there for a long time now, good luck!I am a fellow New Yorker and love the area.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 AM

481 posts, read 1,087,287 times
Hard to say about Cary. Most of the area will be suburban and lots of families. If you are single, guess it depends what you are looking for. Cary doesn't really have a night life..there are bars here and there but downtown Raleigh would be better. If you are looking for a little peace and quite then there many neighborhoods to choose from. Also depends on your price range. Luckily here you have more choices than in NJ.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,999 times
Can't add much on the teaching jobs here, but we did move from NJ (grew up in Hunterdon County moved to Mercer) to Durham 3 years ago. Plus my sister in-law is also a teacher in Flemington. We love this area and don't have any plans on moving back to NJ.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,962 times
Cary doesn't really have much of a downtown to speak of - it's more of big sprawling suburb with pockets of shops and restaurants dotted around the area.

You mention your age quite a few times which makes me think you are looking for an area with a bit more excitement? If were young and single I would check out the Cameron Village area.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM

41 posts, read 83,157 times
You might consider Creekside at Tryon. These are new condos in a very convenient location just off 64. The demographic there seems right for you. Far enough from the NC State orbit to avoid the college crowd but close enough to Raleigh for easy access.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,845,480 times
Your questions make it sound as if you have never even visited Cary--yet have already decided to relocate there?? I think it would be wise to at least check out the place before uprooting your life, especially since jobs are not guarantted right now, even for teachers.

Cary is great for families, but is not thought of as somewhere for "active" singles. And there is barely a 'downtown' at all, so your question about downtown is a little odd. Cary is offiically a "town" consisting mostly of suburbia for mile after mile.

I strongly advocate coming down for a visit to the area before making any plans about moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary