Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:40 PM

15 posts, read 38,923 times

Advertisements

Garner is the only place I've ever lived where, on the day we moved in, the mayor dropped by to welcome us! It turns out he was my neighbor, as the current mayor of Garner was our mail carrier and a neighbor, too. We lived in the Heather Hills subdivision, which is about 30+ years old.

Garner is a sleepy, Southern suburb of Raleigh. It is quite safe: probably one of the safest to live in the Triangle. Garner is also one of the more purely Southern of the Triangle cities, yet also very friendly to new neighbors (as my mayor incident might show)!

Garner's development lagged behind other areas of the Triangle up until recently, when a new water/sewer deal was signed with Raleigh. Garner's taxes are higher than other areas in part due to the decrepit sewer system that is now being retired now that Raleigh has taken over. Garner historically did not attract much commercial tax base to balance the residential property taxes until the water deal was signed. Now there are plenty of commercial developments taking place there, such as the White Oak shopping center at 70 and I-40.

My wife and I lived in Garner for five years. We loved the community feel, the abundant trees and flowers, the large lots, the affordable houses, and the convenience to both downtown Raleigh and RTP. Its true the school test scores aren't as high as others but the town board and community leaders are aggressively working to turn this around. Town leaders contend that Wake County's reassignment plan has in the past stacked the deck against Garner, a charge I believe has some merit. On the other hand, Garner's Timber Drive Elementary (a year-round school) tests consistently above the county average.

Garner is not a cultural mecca by any stretch. It is suburbia, pure and simple. You'll have to drive to Raleigh to catch a show or to find restaurants fancier than the Toot And Tell or a faceless chain restaurant.

Eagle's Ridge is a fine subdivision, though, and one of the Triangle's best-kept secrets. Then again, Garner is one of the Triangle's best-kept secrets. My wife and I were very happy there and I think you will be, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 PM

850 posts, read 3,635,745 times
I've been to a few really nice areas of Garner. But when we were first looking I was very concerned with crime and such not being from the area. I met a few folks online who had husbands who were police officers in the south Raleigh/Garner area.

Now, I'm only repeating what I was told so I have no idea if its true but they said that this particular area of Garner was riddled with crime, gangs, drugs, shootings, etc. They said it was a nice looking area...with nice looking homes but that they were all rentals and lots of shady stuff going on.

Lauren

Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 23,372 times
From WRAL.com
Renovations at Garner School on Hold After Enrollment Impasse Posted: Dec. 11, 2007 Garner — Members of the Wake County school board's facilities committee decided Tuesday to hold off on renovations at Smith Elementary School following a demand from Garner officials.
Moderator cut: just a snippet and a link please

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2153572/

Last edited by autumngal; 12-12-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary