Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,979,820 times

Advertisements

Squirrels have gnawed a hole in the facia board on my house and were running around in my attic. I am pretty sure all the adult squirrels are out of the attic and I have covered the hole with aluminum flashing. I have looked all over the attic and can't find a nest but I would hate to have a nest full of dead baby squirrels up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,024 times
Are you sure the squirrels are gone?

I had squirrels, at another house, that gnawed through the attic and ran down the stairs into our living space. The kids and I ran screaming into the driveway. I thought the squirrel ran down into the basement.

When the squirrel removal guy came, he checked out the basement, and said there were no squirrels because he couldn't see or hear any. He said "they aren't that smart," and couldn't be that quiet. I told him no way could a squirrel get out where it came in because it'd have to go all the way back upstairs, and that was unlikely.

I insisted he leave a trap.

He did, and a very angry squirrel was in the trap the next morning.

Are you sure all the squirrels are gone?

(If not, I guess you'll find out one way or another.)

Your squirrels were most likely just trying to get out of the cold and probably hadn't started building a nest yet if you didn't find any nesting material up there.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM

372 posts, read 809,991 times
If I were you I would error on the side of caution and put a couple of have a heart traps in your attic and see if you come up with something. Can't hurt anything, and if any squirrels come back you will be ready for them.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM

476 posts, read 1,678,293 times
That is a good story... Reminds me of the squirrel scene in Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation!

I thought that was a very good question, so looked it up! It looks like you "should" be safe though this link states (if it's on the internet it HAS to be true, right!?) that they breed Dec - Feb.

Takes about 2 months for the babies to arrive, however. Hopefully you just interrupted the honeymoon...

When are baby squirrels born, and why don't we see them up in the trees? | Answerbag

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

36 posts, read 102,210 times
This should scare you into getting checked out as soon as possible. We had this problem at our last house (in Ohio) and a couple of the baby squirrels and another larger squirrel died in the walls of our home and the horrible odor lasted for days and then we had maggots falling out of our vents. It was an absolute horror!!

Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,085,698 times
Definitely that time of year, I saw a squirrel building a nest today ...ACE sells traps that do a good job.

I saw an article in the N&O Saturday (?) that said you cannot relocate animals in NC due to disease concerns. So if you capture it you legally can only release it your backyard (guess what happens then) or kill it.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary