Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,759,746 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good local computer repair shop in the north raleigh area? I'm getting a message on one of our older computers that I still use, "bad cmos battery."

I've never had the need to find a computer repair place, and sure don't want to use geek squad.

If anyone can recommend someone, I sure would appreciate it. I will check DMs tomorrow and hopefully will get some of your valued opinions!
Thanks so much.
Best,
toodie

Old 12-21-2009, 07:53 PM

4,181 posts, read 4,896,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Does anyone know of a good local computer repair shop in the north raleigh area? I'm getting a message on one of our older computers that I still use, "bad cmos battery."

I've never had the need to find a computer repair place, and sure don't want to use geek squad.

If anyone can recommend someone, I sure would appreciate it. I will check DMs tomorrow and hopefully will get some of your valued opinions!
Thanks so much.
Best,
toodie
You can easily replace the CMOS battery yourself. It is round and just snaps into a holder like a Key-Fob or watch type battery. Just power off your PC and unplug the power cord from the wall. Remove the cover and look for the round shiny looking battery that's about the size of a quarter. Pop it out with a small screw driver. Get the number off the battery and purchase a new one and just pop it back in the holder paying close attention to the +/- orientation. Put the PC cover back on.

Boot the PC into BIOS and set the correct time/date and you're done!
Another option is to just leave the PC running until you have time to replace the battery and it will be fine.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 AM

122 posts, read 402,281 times
I would open the computer first and take a look for the battery first. Sometimes the battery might be in a difficult place, such as under PCI Cards (in which case they would have to be removed to gain access to the battery) or if you are using a Dell... Dell often uses large "covers" over the processor that can sometimes hide the battery.

The battery looks like a watch or hearing aid battery but bigger. Usually (but not always) It's a CR2032 battery which can be picked up at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack (The Shack)

Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 AM

7,165 posts, read 4,759,746 times
Thanks for your replies. I'll open the computer first and take a look before I call someone.
Thanks!
toodie

Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,342,465 times
I found 2 repair services. It turned out I didn't need to use them so I can vouch for neither, but here is the info in case you need it:
First Service Carolina 919 832-5553 (near Crabtree mall)
Digitz 919 828-1098 (Hillsborough Street)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary