Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,046 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in a few months and am contemplating what is the best option of moving my things from points A to B withing the same county. I am still pretty new here and do not have any muscle bound friends here that is going to come over to help me do the heavy lifting, so I will either have to hire strangers as loaders/unloaders or resort to going it alone with my wife, which I do not want to do.

I was told that PODs would give me the flexibility to load/unload at leasure but may be a much more expensive option that renting a truck and paying a few guys as helpers. Any experience or opinions here guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
we used ABF and would never use a moving company with the horror stories we've heard from friends and family.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM

102 posts, read 316,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
we used ABF and would never use a moving company with the horror stories we've heard from friends and family.

I used ABF to move from Seattle to Raleigh, great experience. I've recommended them to many people who were equally satisfied.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
Well, I looked on Craigslist and hired three volunteer firefighters from Cary. They came out for $15 an hour each to unload my U-Haul (I had four friends plus my brother help me pack it). The three of them had the whole truck unloaded (the biggest truck they have, packed to the brim) in an hour and 20 minutes (I paid them for two hours). So, for $90 I had all the help I could use.

I would highly recommend this route, even if you choose to use ABF or PODS as they can help you with all the heavy stuff.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
We've used Holloway moving for several local moves - big and small - and always had great service and decent rates.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
We rented the largest U-Haul truck and hired two movers in NJ and two in NC all through the U-Haul website. The movers were great. Took less than two hours to unload. Total cost was less than $1,800.00

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
I have to vote for PODS...i just moved here from Nj nd the PODS cost was $1200...you have it for 1 month and you tell them when you want them to pick it up and where to deliver it...We could not rent a uhaul truck as we had to drive both of our vehicles here. We did load it ourselves and BTW it wont arrive here 'til this friday. It will come to our apt complex and be right across the parking lot from the apt. Now if you wanted to compare moving companies...it would have been easily double the price if not more..plus you really dont know whom you can trust. We chose to avoid all those pitfalls...Good luck with it...

Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
when moving cross country in Spring '08 we used ABF U-Pack (similar to PODS). i can't remember the exact numbers, but i know that i found the cost to be equatable to renting a giant rental truck to go across country. of course, that's factoring in things like the trailer i would have needed to tow my car and the difference in mileage between my vehicle and the moving truck (keep in mind this was when gas and diesel were both well over $4/gal). i believe the price difference was less than a couple hundred, which was well worth not having to deal with a moving truck.

the ABF people were professional, friendly, and most importantly, on time. how well your personal items fare is up to you, of course, so i can't blame them for the few nicks and scratches we picked up here and there. in the end i HIGHLY recommend them. if you do some research on them, you'll see they get very good reviews overall.

as to the labor needed to load/unload, i second the idea of posting something on craigslist. i haven't done that, but i've heard of many that have with great results. there's always a couple of 'starving' college students willing to lend a hand for beer money, lol!

Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Two Men and a Truck do unloading.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletic Supporter View Post
I used ABF to move from Seattle to Raleigh, great experience. I've recommended them to many people who were equally satisfied.
There is a possibility I will be moving to Seattle eventually and wondered the best way to go about it. Can you give me a ballpark figure what it cost and how much you moved. I kind of thought it would be cheaper to sell items here and buy/replace them there for many things. What was your experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary