Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM

116 posts, read 366,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I think you are incorrect.

According to most laws, the using of eminent domain requires the city to compensate for loss of value. I'm not sure what NC's law states, I don't really know where to look for it.

Yes, but I think it is the fair market value of the land they take. Not the impact to the land they do not take (or any others).

I imagine the $5000 was for the few hundred square feet of land they took (which probably was fair market value).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
Drive by his home and seriously ask yourself, would you want to live there? Look at the before and after photos. Which home would you buy? that pretty much speaks for itself.
I have driven by it and it's certainly not the WORST home in town (not even close). The photos alone are not adequate to assess the situation. In any event, I would not have bought a home on a major road to begin with, so the before and after are irrelevant to me.

Maybe you should take your own advice?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Here's the statute that defines compensation:

Quote:
North Carolina General Statutes 40A-64. Compensation for taking.

40A‑64. Compensation for taking.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the measure of compensation for a taking of property is its fair market value.
(b) If there is a taking of less than the entire tract, the measure of compensation is the greater of either (i) the amount by which the fair market value of the entire tract immediately before the taking exceeds the fair market value of the remainder immediately after the taking; or (ii) the fair market value of the property taken.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
Yes, but I think it is the fair market value of the land they take. Not the impact to the land they do not take (or any others).

I imagine the $5000 was for the few hundred square feet of land they took (which probably was fair market value).
So reading CHTransplant's post, it appears the city felt $5000 was the greater of the diminished property value/amount of land taken. I wonder if this guy has paid for an appraisal. I would bet $5000 wouldn't even cover the down payment for the diminished property value.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 PM

116 posts, read 366,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
So reading CHTransplant's post, it appears the city felt $5000 was the greater of the diminished property value/amount of land taken. I wonder if this guy has paid for an appraisal. I would bet $5000 wouldn't even cover the down payment for the diminished property value.

I think you are right. I wonder if there is anything you can do after the fact. The man really needs a lawyer if he is planning to take on city hall.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Yes he needs to legislate this issue in court. I imagine that by spray painting 'Screwed by the Town of Cary' in dayglo orange paint on the front of his house he has managed to further erode the house's 'fair market value.' While he's gotten lots and lots of press out of doing that and gotten the ACLU behind him on a freedom of speech case, he is still not achieving an engineering fix that would help the flooding issue. I'll bet he's not helping his cause any by p*ssing off the neighbors by painting dayglo orange paint on his house either.

Here's a question for all of you who think the town should buy his house at whatever fair price you think it deserves: is there ANY fix that you can imagine that could be done to the existing property/land of this house that would make his house okay (or better than okay)? If independent engineering/landscape experts were able to design and implement a plan to fix the flooding problems (paid for by the Town of Cary) AND give him a decent looking front land elevation, would that be 'enough?' Or is the only remedy acceptable in your eyes the purchase of his house outright by the Town of Cary at his stated price?

Because I want to know if the guy just wants to sell the house and go or is actually looking for a true remedy to fix the problems?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

393 posts, read 673,817 times
It will be interesting to see how Cary's landscape changes if this lawsuit is successful.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yes he needs to legislate this issue in court. I imagine that by spray painting 'Screwed by the Town of Cary' in dayglo orange paint on the front of his house he has managed to further erode the house's 'fair market value.' While he's gotten lots and lots of press out of doing that and gotten the ACLU behind him on a freedom of speech case, he is still not achieving an engineering fix that would help the flooding issue. I'll bet he's not helping his cause any by p*ssing off the neighbors by painting dayglo orange paint on his house either.

Here's a question for all of you who think the town should buy his house at whatever fair price you think it deserves: is there ANY fix that you can imagine that could be done to the existing property/land of this house that would make his house okay (or better than okay)? If independent engineering/landscape experts were able to design and implement a plan to fix the flooding problems (paid for by the Town of Cary) AND give him a decent looking front land elevation, would that be 'enough?' Or is the only remedy acceptable in your eyes the purchase of his house outright by the Town of Cary at his stated price?

Because I want to know if the guy just wants to sell the house and go or is actually looking for a true remedy to fix the problems?
1. We elect our officials to legislate, they pass laws and we get to live by them. Most of the time when a lay person follows the process of taking the city to court, they are squashed by the system. The right to protest gets more attention and rightfully so.

2. If he were my neighbor, I would spray paint my home in a show of support, but that is just me. We's be having nightly barbecues and sharing a cold one from time to time.

3. As for a fix? I think it would have been fair for the city to have paid the fair depreciation and allowed the home owner to have his own independent engineer and contractor to fix the problems. Then compensated him for his stress, time and effort in remedying their screw up.

In my opinion, the town of Cary should have done what Holly Springs recently did. Purchased that entire strip of homes at fair market value and made that area zoned commercial. then resold them for a slight profit as commercial land.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
You didn't answer my question though.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
You didn't answer my question though.
#3 in my previous post above seems to answer your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary