Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 AM

5,746 posts, read 17,618,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I'm not following the logic. Even if the cause of an accident is inattention, it is still not an intentional event.

Beyond that, I believe accidents can result from more than just inattention.
I understand where UnderPSI is coming from. You are in control of the motor vehicle. It only does what you instruct it to do with your hands and feet. You can prevent an "accident" by increasing your level of attentiveness and understanding the limits of your vehicle. So, as it is in your control, is it an "accident"?

If you choose to drive while texting, or in the rain with bald tires, or after having a few drinks, and you crash into something. . . . . .it's not an "accident" in my opinion, no mater what we call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,946,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If you choose to drive while texting, or in the rain with bald tires, or after having a few drinks, and you crash into something. . . . . .it's not an "accident" in my opinion, no mater what we call it.
Maybe a better phrase would be "incident" Whatever we call them they are all preventable...with the exception of the "mystery crash" as the old driver's ed manual referred.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,588,896 times
Quote:
I'm not following the logic. Even if the cause of an accident is inattention, it is still not an intentional event.

Beyond that, I believe accidents can result from more than just inattention.
Short of mechanical failure one can be cited with negligence in a vehicle crash which can be avoided.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Short of mechanical failure one can be cited with negligence in a vehicle crash which can be avoided.
True, but that negligence can take a lot of forms other than inattention. Driving requires processing many inputs at once, and predicting the behavior of other drivers. Misperceive or misjudge one, and an accident may result.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,588,896 times
Quote:
Misperceive or misjudge one, and an accident may result.
But that's my point. It's near impossible to correctly advert from a crash caused by others. However, if the others were doing what they were supposed to be doing there wouldn't be a crash to avoid. A lot of insurance companies have stopped using the term "accident" along with law enforcement as it's proven a crash really isn't an accident.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM

56 posts, read 95,973 times
REMEMBER "Objects in mirror are closer then they appear" lol

The problem is the people that try to police the roads. Like brake checking! Really!
Everyone forgets the FAST lane or LEFT lane is for PASSING ONLY!!!! I see so many times people like to ride the fast lane going the speed limit. If you aren't passing anyone get over and be considerate. People also got to realize there are some people that have emergencies and need to get somewhere. If I have a pregnant wife or my mom is on her death bed, then I need to be getting where ever it might be quick. Thats all I gotta say drive safe out there!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,961,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok2tx2nj2nc View Post
Everyone forgets the FAST lane or LEFT lane is for PASSING ONLY!!!!
While I've seen "Keep right except to pass" signs on highways with two travel lanes in each direction, I don't think I've ever seen them on highways with multiple lanes in each direction. Seems to me that the expectation is that all lanes get used to carry traffic.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,163,966 times
Even so, that left lane is for people hoping to get a speeding ticket, not for someone going 10 under the posted speed limit like the lovely gentlemen in the black Yukon texting on his phone while driving was doing this morning into RTP.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,085,698 times
Interesting read on NCDOT's attempt to encourage slower traffic to keep right.

http://www.motorists.org/lane-courte...age-study2.pdf

Alas, they conclude it doesn't help much.

It was drilled into me at any early age that you should keep right and move left to pass. It would seem to facilitate safety and traffic flow. The German autobahn being an excellent example.

Frank

Old 05-15-2012, 02:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,184,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Interesting read on NCDOT's attempt to encourage slower traffic to keep right.

http://www.motorists.org/lane-courte...age-study2.pdf

Alas, they conclude it doesn't help much.

It was drilled into me at any early age that you should keep right and move left to pass. It would seem to facilitate safety and traffic flow. The German autobahn being an excellent example.

Frank
You can't keep right on the trash Interstates in NC.

Right lane keeps dropping off after an exit and starting up again almost at once. These roads are poorly designed and constantly gerrymandered in an attempt to solve capacity issues on the cheap.

Many accidents occur by constant lane changes as your travel lane disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary