Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM

170 posts, read 776,715 times

Advertisements

There is a 99.9% possibility I will have to move to Raleigh to be closer to family due to a variety of reasons (mainly quicker commute time in case of emergencies). I currently live in Sandy Springs GA which is Atlanta right next to Dunwoody and am use to a certain quality of life (i.e. excellent resteraunts, going to Piedmont Park every Sunday for long "people watching" strolls) and I need a city that has options that are almost similar to Atlanta (and I've already tried Charlotte, too far of a commute to my parents house as they are on the coast in Wilmington).

I guess my question is this, in a more general sense (coupled with me litteraly coming to Raleigh and checking things out for myself) I'd like to know what portion of the city is going to give me that big metropolitan city feel with low crime and excellent options like going to great resteraunts, parks and perhaps even catching a play here or there). Any advice for an Atlanta transplant would be greatly appreciative.

Oh yeah, and I am use to the Dekalb Farmers Market here in Atl and love buying fresh produce and I so dont want to have to fly all the way back down here just to get good fresh groceries if you know what I mean.

Again, any information would help. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,039,483 times
I'm partial to downtown Raleigh, but if you are looking for an Atlanta feel, you won't be finding that here. The nice thing, in my opinion, about living anywhere in the Triangle is that you are within 30 minutes from Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carborro, and Wake Forest. You can find good restaurants, plays, farmer's markets, etc in all of them but none of them will give you a big city feel. They have a nice small city feel. It doesn't sound like you have much option though, so I would say come here but without expectations of it being like Atlanta and look for the things you enjoy and do them. Welcome in advance!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 PM

122 posts, read 432,593 times
Default Moved from Marietta to Cary

We lived in East Cobb, just across the bridge--attended Sandy Springs Christian Church and then moved to Cary 3 years ago.
Cool restaurants abound. There are fewer middle eastern and ethiopian restaurants. And there are fewer high-end restaurants a la Buckhead--but Raleigh is a smaller place. But there are some very nice French restaurants and fusion places.
Just like Atlanta, there are a few areas where one should use care at night.
Yes, we have off Broadway plays. The art museum is outstanding. The North Carolina State farmers market is the best we have ever seen.
Life is very good in Raleigh; we think better than Sandy Springs/Marietta.
You need to check it out.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 AM

120 posts, read 254,608 times
I grew up in Sandy Springs and live in Durham now. There is a lot of the triangle that reminds me of Atlanta in the late 80's early 90's. It continues to grow, but with the Universities in the area there is always culture and great places to eat and the traffic is not anywhere close to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary