Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2007, 09:55 PM

170 posts, read 878,049 times

Advertisements

Went to look at a new home community and loved the little community, but did not love what I saw on the business route of 501. I had my husband stop at Walmart to p/u a real estate guide. I can tell you that even in broad daylight I was a little uncomfortable with the element that was out in front of this Walmart. They looked like gang types. I worked in Manhattan and rode the subways for over nine years and never felt that uncomfortable. It is very difficult to get a feel for an area when you are comming in from a totally different direction and don't see everything the area has to offer. I am a realistic enough person to know that there is no perfect place but on the other hand I don't want to move into an area that I don't think is safe. Is that area slated for any type of redevelopment? How bad is the crime there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:47 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
The US 501 (Roxboro Rd) corridor between I-85 and about Durham Regional Hospital (just north of that Wal-Mart) is an "okay" area but has some areas with more poverty and with somewhat higher crime. I've had the same unease about that particular Wal-Mart. (There's a new Wal-Mart Supercenter opening off the Glenn School Rd. exit on I-85, about 10 minutes drive from there, next year -- I'd be shocked if that US 501 Wal-Mart you visited stays open as I bet it will close.)

Further west from that Wal-Mart are some very upscale neighborhoods (Guess Rd/Cole Mill Rd. corridor); further north on US 501 is also a fine area. South of/nearer I-85 are a few really terrific neighborhoods (Duke Park, as well as Old North Durham and Northgate Park.) Further east you get into more rural areas.

The projections for the next 25 years show the major development area in Durham being the northeastern part of the county -- north of I-85, east of Roxboro. So redevelopment (with the uncomfortable gentrification that follows) is on the way as the economic forces drive re-use of land, but that's a mid- to long-range prediction.

In terms of actually seeing where crime happens -- the Durham Crime Mapper is the thing to check out. http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/gis_apps/..._entryform.cfm

Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Were you at that Braggtown walmart? I would choose another one to go to. I hear they are going to close that one, because of what goes onaround there, and the thefts.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
This article is interesting and mentions the Wal-mart, http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Con...id=oid%3A31990.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 AM

170 posts, read 878,049 times
Thanks to all of you that answered. I am not really sure what the town was, I just know that I would never go near that area. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary