Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,251,460 times

Advertisements

What would you think if you were told your neighborhood pool would be switching from a chlorine pool to a saline pool?

I'm interested in the opinions of everyone, good or bad, even if you've never heard of saline pools before. What's your first thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

306 posts, read 884,903 times
I would think it was pretty progressive, actually. Saline pools sound a lot healthier. There is nothing good about Chlorine. Chlorine is a problem when it's in our drinking/bathing water, and it's even higher in a swimming pool. What are your concerns?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:15 PM

646 posts, read 2,054,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
What would you think if you were told your neighborhood pool would be switching from a chlorine pool to a saline pool?

I'm interested in the opinions of everyone, good or bad, even if you've never heard of saline pools before. What's your first thought?
Let's see...less toxic chemicals in the water my family is in...ah...what exactly is the problem with that?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,251,460 times
(Background: a community I work with is considering this, but the Board is afraid they will freak out the residents and the last thing they need is about 9 million e-mails telling them they're crazy. So, I am soliciting the opinions of folks here as a test run.)

Old 07-30-2009, 08:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,236,311 times
give them some info and they should be ok. but if you don't give them as much info as you can, they might not understand. frankly i wish we could afford to change ours. less cost to run, better water health and better health for swimmers. so what is the problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM

365 posts, read 1,210,068 times
Great idea, as long as the pool is maintained properly. I'd guess it would be much more expensive to maintain a saline pool, since it isn't the pool standard - it might be like owning a Volvo or BMW. If it is a pool that is also open to non-residents, it could be an attractor, and bring more outside business to a neighborhood pool. My daughter seems to be evolving into a serious swimmer, and I'd like to bring her into a swim team; the lower chlorine in the saline pool would attract me. If it's only open to residents, I'd guess the cost wouldn't pay out, considering the corrosive effects and the potential maintenance fees, not to mention the initial change-over costs, assuming that the pool is already established.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM

22,719 posts, read 36,928,387 times
I've heard that they are great and easy to maintain. I believe that they are becoming pretty common in FL.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

90 posts, read 327,813 times
Playing Devil's Advocate here (I think salt water pools are a good idea):

I think people fail to realize that salt water pool systems still require the use of chemicals. Salt water pools work because salt produces chlorine, and these systems need a stabilizer. The stabilizer holds the chlorine in the water, while chlorine tablets have a chemical in them that already does that.
Salt water pools require an electronic control panel and a metal cell that has to be replaced every three years (about $400). In the long run, the two systems come out about even, but realize that chlorine is not taken completely out of your pool with a salt water system.
The reason most people think it's taken out is because chloramines are not present in salt water systems. They create the smell and irritation found in traditional fresh water pools.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,072,023 times
Some friends of mine have a salt water pool & it's great! If my community wanted to switch over to that system, I'd definitely be interested. I would want to know about maintenance requirements and expenses compared to other alternatives, but those would be my only concerns.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty320f View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate here (I think salt water pools are a good idea):

I think people fail to realize that salt water pool systems still require the use of chemicals. Salt water pools work because salt produces chlorine, and these systems need a stabilizer. The stabilizer holds the chlorine in the water, while chlorine tablets have a chemical in them that already does that.
Salt water pools require an electronic control panel and a metal cell that has to be replaced every three years (about $400). In the long run, the two systems come out about even, but realize that chlorine is not taken completely out of your pool with a salt water system.
The reason most people think it's taken out is because chloramines are not present in salt water systems. They create the smell and irritation found in traditional fresh water pools.
Very interesting! Thanks for the easy to understand chemistry lesson!
OP, I think I would be highly interested inknowing more about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary