Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mom seeking advice on child going to school near hometown in Raleigh North Carolina, seeking experiences from parents on transition

Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,762,447 times

Advertisements

I know there are few of you out that who grew up in The Triangle area. I'm wondering what it was like going to college near (within an hour or less) of where you grew up? Since I grew up in a small town in Eastern NC everyone looked forward to getting away for college. Even here in Portland I've noticed high school kids looking forward to getting away for college (UofO & OSU are about 2 hours away). So what's it like to grow up in Raleigh and go to school in Chapel Hill etc?

And for those of you with college students in this situation, what's it like for the parents? Do they bring their dirty laundry home every weekend? Empty your frig all the time?

We've got many years before we confront this. But I'm curious none the less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM

64 posts, read 251,307 times
I went to High School in Garner and spent 5 glorious years at NC State. I spemt 1 year in University Towers and the rest in a fraternity house. At the time, my mother worked at the NC State Library and she would pick up my laundry and take of all that for me (I think me being the last of three children she just really didn't want to let go of the mom role). Being about 30 minutes away I would go home about every week or two for a good Sunday dinner and chat. You only need to "get away" if you have parents that want to meddle. I think I only talked to about 5 people that I went to high school with when I got to State and even that was pretty rarely. I pretty much severed all ties to high school. State is a big school and college is COMPLETELY different than the local HS scene so its not like you are going to feel like you haven't gone anywhere or taken a new step in life. I think be able to see your family whenever you want to or need to is a very helpful.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,040,544 times
I grew up in chapel hill and DID NOT attend UNC. Now, I thought about it, and TONS of my friends from high school did attend carolina, or state, or duke. I went to school in greensboro, at guilford college, which was about an hour away and I really didn't go home that often. But, I was the youngest of three and my parents were ready to have some free time, so they were not calling me begging me to come home either!

Of my friends who went to carolina, it is just a completely different thing when you are at carolina then when you are a high school student living in chapel hill. I know it would not seem like it, but it is. As a high school student yes, you do attend some of the frat parties, but very few of us really hung out at the university.

They seemed like two different worlds.

Leigh

Old 04-23-2007, 06:43 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,979 times
I grew up in Durham, my family moved away, and then I came back to Durham to go to Duke. Part of the reason I picked Duke was because Durham still felt like home. I knew the city, I knew the restaurants/entertainment, everything just felt familiar and like it fit. And because I grew up in Durham, I went off campus a lot more than most Duke kids. I'd like to think I dragged a lot of students off campus with me and showed them more of the Triangle than most students see.

Then after college I got a job in DC and moved away. I spent the next five years convincing my company that they should let me move back to the Triangle. Finally, my company approved the move, and my wife and I moved to Cary. My parents are also back in Durham now - so the whole family is together.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,762,447 times
Smile Great Stories!

[quote=FallsForks;613621] You only need to "get away" if you have parents that want to meddle. QUOTE] LOL! Maybe that’s why I ended up 3000 miles away from my parents. Fortunately, time has mellowed all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Of my friends who went to carolina, it is just a completely different thing when you are at carolina then when you are a high school student living in chapel hill.
That’s so good to hear. I worry that they wouldn’t want to go to school in the Triangle because it might seem the same. But you’re right about college just being a whole different world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Then after college I got a job in DC and moved away. I spent the next five years convincing my company that they should let me move back to the Triangle. Finally, my company approved the move, and my wife and I moved to Cary. My parents are also back in Durham now - so the whole family is together.
Congrats on being back home! You must be very persuasive!

Thanks for sharing your stories!! My 7 year old son informed me last night that for college he plans on going to school in Alaska. “The love of his life” (a spunky little first grader that he has had a crush on since Kindergarten) is from Alaska and she says she’s moving back when she turns 18. He’s not letting moving 3000 miles away deter his dedication to her. So it looks like one might not even consider colleges in NC. But I’ll hold out hope for my daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary