Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 03:17 PM

22 posts, read 158,979 times

Advertisements

Hello once again.

I noticed that Apex can be split (at least when one looks at a map) into several sections. Is there a difference whether you live:

* West of 55
* Inside the triangle of 55, N Salem (Old US1), and 64
* East of S Salem/South of 55
* Anywhere else that's technically in Apex (at least according to MLS listings) like stuff beyond US1 that looks more like Holly Springs

...or is it all about the same? I'm guessing there's not much differentiation, but as I plot MLS listings for "Apex" they pop up (literally) all over the map. We seem to like Apex (along with a couple of other places), but we don't want to move into a place that's technically called Apex if we won't be getting that true Apex experience (whatever that is). Did anyone buy in one part of Apex over the other, and for a particular reason?

I also noticed there's a big shopping center going up at the intersection of 55 and 64 (or however the locals call these streets). Apparently, the Google satellite images aren't updated yet -- is it completed? What's the word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM

842 posts, read 3,240,042 times
That whole area is going to be HUGE. In addition to Beaver Creek Commons that's almost built, there's going to be Beaver Creek Crossings, which is on the other side of US-64 and connected to Beaver Creek Commons by a new bridge.

I can't find the map anymore, but from what I can remember, that complex was supposed to extend all the way to the future I-540.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 PM

225 posts, read 956,766 times
Here is my limited take on Apex:

Depending on where you work, would probably help decide where you live. West of 64 on 55 goes to 5-lanes making travel up 55 to 40 fairly fast. East of 64 on 55 (aka Williams Street) it goes down to 2 (or 3?) and traffic can get very heavy & slow during rush hours. I try and avoid that area during rush hour.

If you are over by hwy1, that's not bad because you can jump on 1 w/o going down 55 to 64. Does that make sense?

If you want the downtown or "Apex" feel, you probably would want to be very close to downtown Apex. Apex is very spread out as you discovered, but, I would think you could find nice places in most any Apex area you look in, just depends how far a drive you want to work.

Yes, the shopping center is built (not sure if they are adding more) & there is a huge shopping area as mentioned above.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM

I found this map: http://www.ncturnpike.org/images/Wes..._Map_Large.jpg

It's pretty intense. Is this a definite, or is it just in proposal/planning stages? How do you all think this extension will affect the quality of life in Apex, Morrisville, etc. (good and bad)?

As a metro New Yorker, as well as a reader of Robert Caro's bio of NYC planner Robert Moses (a must for anyone interested in urban development, by the way), I know that sometimes building an additional road paradoxically brings MORE traffic congestion.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
Depending on where you work, would probably help decide where you live.
The job I'm interviewing at is in the Brier Creek area, and if that doesn't work out, I'd likely be looking at RTP places. From generic "Apex, NC" (no specific address), Google maps would have me go to 64/1, connect with I-40 in the direction of the airport, then merge onto 540 followed by US 70.

I saw some nice affordable housing near Brier Creek in the Magnolia Place subdivision (and other places near something called "Lynn Crossroads"), but geographically those areas are just over the border in the 27703 (Durham) zip code, and I haven't heard great things about the schools compared with those in Cary/Apex/etc.

So while having a five-minute commute would be very tempting, I'd rather go with better schools and deal with what will be a commute of 25-35 minutes (unless Google Maps grossly underestimates morning commutes), whether I'm in Cary or Apex or even parts of Wake Forest.

(Keeping in mind that my current door-to-door NYC commute -- which includes time in a car, on a train, on a subway, and nearly a half-mile on foot, is two hours each way -- even 45 minutes would be heaven by comparison.)

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM

38 posts, read 155,434 times
Default apex?

The one thing you need to be aware of in Apex is that the far western part is actually in Chatham County not Wake County

Old 04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,398,354 times
I think your morning commute from Apex to Brier Creek may well be more than 25 minutes if you plan to make the commute during rush hour. While you may think that 45 minutes looks wonderful today, I've found that once here you will start to look fondly at the shorter commutes that you might have had but didn't get.

You may want to look at sections of Wake County closer to Brier Creek. If Brier Creek itself is out of your price range, there are plenty of other areas nearby in Raleigh which will likely be cheaper while keeping you within the Wake County school system.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
You may want to look at sections of Wake County closer to Brier Creek. If Brier Creek itself is out of your price range, there are plenty of other areas nearby in Raleigh which will likely be cheaper while keeping you within the Wake County school system.
That's good to know. I'm curious to know whether anyone else makes a commute to RTP from as south as Apex or Holly Springs -- or Wake Forest.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 AM

69 posts, read 256,242 times
I make the commute 4 days a week to RTP from North Fuquay (right at the border of Holly Springs). I leave around 6:15am and it takes me 25-30 minutes to get to RTP. That's taking 55 -> US1 -> I-40. Going home at 5pm, taking the same route is unpredictable. Some days it takes 1/2 hour other almost an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary