Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ANDERSON HOMES VS KB HOMES
ANDERSON HOMES BETTER? 23 62.16%
KB HOMES BETTER? 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM

214 posts, read 665,867 times

Advertisements

I realize this is a debate between Anderson and KB homes but I wanted to put in a plug for my builder - Homes by Greg Johnson. His homes come with hardwoods, tile, stainless appliances, and granite countertops - not as upgrades. He has 2 neigboring subdivisions in the Cleveland area, Hunter's Mill and Twisted Oaks. The homes are not on top of each other and many of the lots are wooded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:02 PM

62 posts, read 305,115 times
KB HOMES ...is a rip off, they suck, there houses come with NOTHING and eveything is an overpriced upgrade, yeah i know there new neghborhoods with there loaded up models look all good and the low base price catches your eyes now throw in the lot premium and the elevation you want,now go to the design center and and price all them options you want in your house...and see what the final price is of the house.....$ 2,600 for 9 foot ceilings..does ANY other builder on planet earth charge for 9 foot ceilings ....lol...do you want trim ( casing) around your windows..you do ..ok...thats an upgrade..lol.... the funnist thing i seen at the design center was there standard toilets there like 2 foot tall, a small turd would clog it up ...lol...you almost are forced to buy upgraded toilets, what about a medicine cabinet in your bathroom , its an upgrade...last but not least and i could really go on and on and on ..grinds in your windows are upgrades...hey drive through some of there neighborhoods that have been around for a few years and see what they look like...Westlyn, Meryton and Brighton...these three neighborhoods look like there about 10 to 15 years old , but there only a few years old..go see how that cheap material they use ages SO fast....KBHOMES SUCK....

Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 7,003,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondpeople View Post
I have been doing lots of research btwn both and have found that #1 - Anderson just had their new lots released for building Mid May, thats why you have not seen any homes going up. #2 - time = quality, b/c of the Energy Star qualifications Anderson goes thru many more inspections then KB does (I would rather wait a bit for a better built home) #3 - Anderson starts at 170 not 200 and Anderson offers ALOT more already included (9foot smooth ceilings, f/p, bath with sep shower/tub, upgraded doors, etc, etc,etc) and their lots start at about a 1/4 of an acre (I belive that KBs are around .15?) #4 - 28 year history of zero warranty claims for Anderson IMO that speaks volumes!

Your right all that glitters is not gold, I am not sure that knowing KB has built 2 phases in 5 months is a good thing.

JMO
I agree, what you wrote in itself speaks volumes!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny34 View Post
KB HOMES ...is a rip off, they suck, there houses come with NOTHING and eveything is an overpriced upgrade, yeah i know there new neghborhoods with there loaded up models look all good and the low base price catches your eyes now throw in the lot premium and the elevation you want,now go to the design center and and price all them options you want in your house...and see what the final price is of the house.....$ 2,600 for 9 foot ceilings..does ANY other builder on planet earth charge for 9 foot ceilings ....lol...do you want trim ( casing) around your windows..you do ..ok...thats an upgrade..lol.... the funnist thing i seen at the design center was there standard toilets there like 2 foot tall, a small turd would clog it up ...lol...you almost are forced to buy upgraded toilets, what about a medicine cabinet in your bathroom , its an upgrade...last but not least and i could really go on and on and on ..grinds in your windows are upgrades...hey drive through some of there neighborhoods that have been around for a few years and see what they look like...Westlyn, Meryton and Brighton...these three neighborhoods look like there about 10 to 15 years old , but there only a few years old..go see how that cheap material they use ages SO fast....KBHOMES SUCK....

Upgrade..a toliet? Are you serious????
We didnt make it to the design center, we could kind of pick out the "upgrades" between the three model homes. Someone told us a few of the prices and common sense, you can buy it/install it yourself ALOT cheaper.
Which would be alot of work. I thought moving in was alot to deal with, I can't imagine having to go through all of that. Blah.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,380 times
Default Anderson experience

I moved into an Anderson home at the end of Sept. of 2006. We have friends that live in the community that had a different guy in charge of overseeing the building of our house and their experience was very different. Our experience was and continues to be terrible and our friends feel terrible.

The sales lady messed up (told us many things that were not accurate, not misleading, she just didn't even know what she was talking about). She put my wife into tears on several occasions. The builder (foreman guy) was terrible, forgot to order parts, etc. We were forced to live in a hotel for 5 extra weeks while they finished our house. The order form for our cabinets sat on somebody's desk for weeks. Our lender had to call in a favor and we ended up getting temporary cabinets so we could get into our house.

Fortunately for new customers, both individuals are now working elsewhere, but unfortunately, I just emailed the warranty department of Anderson homes for the 5th time in three months to fix outstanding issues still left from our closing.

People that moved into the community before us had a good experience, but there are a handful of us that had an awful experience due to some bad personnel.

The new sales lady seems decent, don't know the builder though.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,263,044 times
bcampbell, if you don't mind, can you post the community in which you bought? No names of the people you dealt with are necessary.........

They've done some boneheaded things on ours, but have fixed them during the construction process. The biggest issue was they put the wrong roof on, w/o hesitation they agreed, tore it off, and put up the right one. We still have a little way to go until closing.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 AM

We had a wonderful experience with the sales/builder for our Anderson home.

Right now, we are having an issue with the warranty guy. He was supposed to come yesterday but has yet to return the three messages I left.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,250,986 times
We saw a few Centex homes where the a-hole designer put the heat/AC + water heater in the attic.

So, I said to my wife, "When the ceiling falls on your head, just yell Bubba, call the plumber".

What a stupid thing to do. The warranty is 2 years, so you get stuck, not Centex.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM

347 posts, read 937,374 times
interesting discussion.

I actually am having a house built in Summerdale. I looked at KB in Parkgrove beofre they finished and was treated so poorly. The first thing they asked was if they could interest me in a lot!! My wife and I looked at the models and read the little disclosure posted on what was an upgrade. Basically, everything. Now I think the idea of getting to choose nearly everything is great on paper, but terrible in reality. We asked the sales lady about what the cost of the options were and we would get ballpark or round about. but never a clear cut dollar amount. I asked for a price sheet and she said they could not give one to us. She said we would get those prices at the design center after we signed to buy one. Like i am going to buy a house without knowing how much!! Every other builder we visited happily provided the options list with prices. Another thing that was strange was the pricing on the houses. They listed three prices for a base house with it going up ever week or two. It was just a pressure tactic as we came back a month later and the prices had not gone up.
We really liked the houses and they build a kitchen to die for. Despite our reservations we were going to sit down one more time and try to get some numbers on the options and deal with the BS. Well we sat waiting for 30 minutes and listened while she sold another house. They were asking how much for this and that and were getting the same run around. We got up and left.
The sales lady called us like a month later and asked us when were coming in the buy a house! unbelievable

We ran into her at Twin Lakes. We love looking at houses. getting ideas from all builders on colors and options we like. Helped tremendously when we finally did our house.

I like the builders that do include a lot of the upgrades of KB homes as standard. The house may cost more up front but tends to equal when comparing apples to apples. wh ever heard of paying extra for lights in a bedroom? Ceiling lights should be in every bedroom. Cable outlets should be in every bedroom. Phone jacks should be in every bedroom.

I liked anderson homes but just got more house for the buck in Summerdale. Over 3000 SQ feet for ~220. Granite counters, intercom, bath on third floor. It has the energy star rating but i refused to pay for it so i get the benefits without the 5% reduction on my electric bill. Would took me 10 years to recoup that cost anyway.

KB blows..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 61,598 times
I haven't dealt with Anderson Homes however I deal with KB Homes and Centex Homes on a daily basis. KB Homes have a lot of problems but they also offer a two year warranty so you have the first two years to work out the bugs. KB's field supervisors are also very nice guys (especially the one's in Cobblestone). Centex Homes also offers the two year warranty and I don't see as many problems with their homes. Moderator cut: against TOS As far as the price comparison, I don't know anything about the two. I deal with the service side and not so much with the New Construction.

Last edited by autumngal; 12-07-2007 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: no name calling please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary