Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,803,876 times

Advertisements

I know its not the Wake Co area, but on Ft. Bragg/ Pope AFB they do it. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 AM

446 posts, read 1,395,154 times
Can't the teachers just stay an hour later that day...better yet, really start to communicate with each other and stay an hour later every day. I have to do this at my job all the time.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:58 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,628,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
Can't the teachers just stay an hour later that day...better yet, really start to communicate with each other and stay an hour later every day. I have to do this at my job all the time.
My stepmother is an elementary school teacher (in NY, not here) and you would be amazed at the number of hours she works. I always thought teaching was a cushy job - all those holidays, summers off, short hours, what more could you want? Then she became a teacher and I saw just how hard it was. Nine times out of ten if I call up there at 8 or 9pm during the school year she's doing something school-related. I don't know if they have any early dismissal days up there, but in my opinion saying "just stay an hour later" isn't the answer to teachers needing more work time. As a matter of fact, I believe she stays until 4 or 5pm every day - and I know their school gets out a whole lot earlier than that!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:52 AM

492 posts, read 1,153,012 times
I agree with Zoya, public school is not daycare. Work out your schedules and your childcare and stop complaining that your life has the occasional obstacle.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:05 AM

169 posts, read 541,269 times
what are kids doing in school anyway? It is the middle of July!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,803,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichael929 View Post
what are kids doing in school anyway? It is the middle of July!!!
Year round school

Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,014,769 times
Wake county isn't the only district doing this. i spoke to my sil out in CA last night and due to CA budgets they are having early release on Mondays out there.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,697 times
As a teacher this is one of the most idiotic ideas to come down the pike. Please the last thing most teachers want to do is have more meetings. I would much rather be in the classroom in front of my kids. If anyone really believes it will improve teaching and make a difference I have a bridge to sell you in NYC!! Have these meetings 4 times a year on a Saturday am and pay us a small amount of maybe some comp time if you really believe the BS that you administrators have been sold. PLCs these learning communities are a farce.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,762,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
PLCs these learning communities are a farce.

I think it depends on the group of teachers. I've seen the PLCs work VERY well and not so well at our school here in Durham. Honestly, it just depends on the group of teachers.

Durham has been doing the early release for 2 years now. At first, I grumbled. But I like it now. It gives my kids a chance to catch up or get ahead on homework projects or spend some extra time in the Library reading and searching for books.

I know ALL the teachers that my kids have had here in Durham, work longer days than they are contracted to do.

While having kids at multiple schools and mulitple schedules might cause some inconvience for a few, I think the long term benefits of early release to the teachers and thus the students are necessary.

BTW, many Catholic Schools have done this for years and I've never heard of these parents complain even though they are writing a big fat check to go along w/ that education.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,191,405 times
I just wish the early release was on Fridays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary