Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 AM

363 posts, read 1,213,538 times

Advertisements

Is this possible? Sorry for ignorance but have never been before. Would like to see a lighthhouse or two and a run on a beach somewhere. We've done plenty of day trips to beach @ Wilmington/Carolina Beach and find that very easy going... OBX seems a little further drive though? Would be heading from North Raleigh so off the new 540 and out east... Any advice much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 AM

43,375 posts, read 77,281,824 times
I've done it.

It is a full day.
8 hrs in the car, and a couple on the beach.
The Bodie Island lighthouse is the closest, I think, just a few miles south of Whalebone Junction, where US 64 ends and you can go south on NC12.
There is a nice easy beach access there, too, with showers at South Nag's Head. Coquina Beach, I think.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Is this possible? Sorry for ignorance but have never been before. Would like to see a lighthhouse or two and a run on a beach somewhere. We've done plenty of day trips to beach @ Wilmington/Carolina Beach and find that very easy going... OBX seems a little further drive though? Would be heading from North Raleigh so off the new 540 and out east... Any advice much appreciated!
It's about twice as long, in time, to OBX as to Wilmington, though it's a prettier drive (almost anything is less boring than I-40 to Wilmington!). If you left really early, you could spend an afternoon there and get home at night, but it would be exhausting and you'd wish you had planned to spend at least onoe night.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,782,217 times
I was surprised how much faster the trip has gotten in recent years. Depending on where in N Raleigh you are, the trip can be made in just over 3 hours each way now (used to be close to 4).

Old 06-08-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks folks for the tips. I shouldn't have been so lazy and posted before researching! A quick google search for "OBX" and found great info. Agree with you DW think it depends where you live... for us in North Raleigh, just off 540, Wilmington is a bit more of a trek as you have to get round Raleigh first. This looks like 540 down to 64 then just set cruise control at 72mph and should be there in 3 hours flat. Thansk Mike looks like Bodie Island is the best bet for lighthouse, with some nice looking beaches nearby.

Has anyone been to the Wright Brothers memorial? Worth visiting? Have kids 5 and 7 years old.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
It takes us 2 hours and 40 minutes to get to Southport from North Raleigh.

There is a lighthouse on Oak Island and one on Bald Head Island.

Both are closer than OBX.

Vicki

Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,699,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
Thanks folks for the tips. I shouldn't have been so lazy and posted before researching! A quick google search for "OBX" and found great info. Agree with you DW think it depends where you live... for us in North Raleigh, just off 540, Wilmington is a bit more of a trek as you have to get round Raleigh first. This looks like 540 down to 64 then just set cruise control at 72mph and should be there in 3 hours flat. Thansk Mike looks like Bodie Island is the best bet for lighthouse, with some nice looking beaches nearby.

Has anyone been to the Wright Brothers memorial? Worth visiting? Have kids 5 and 7 years old.
I've been to the Wright Brothers memorial, although it has been a loonngg time. I'd say it's definitely worth it. The whole Kitty Hawk area is nice, and I remember these huge sand dunes you could run and jump off of, felt like you were flying for a short time.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 AM

Actually is 64 at least four lanes all the way (to OBX) or do you end up in two lane traffic moving at 45mph?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,030,447 times
I would find a place to camp and return the next day.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,111,716 times
I went there last March. It's too long to drive in one day, IMHO, especially with kids.

The Wright Brothers memorial is nice enough -- lots of room for the kids to run outside, up to the memorial.

The kids might agree with me that the dunes (Jockeys Ridge State Park) are REALLY COOL. I loved them. It's like playing in a giant's sandbox. When you make it up to a ridge, the views are exhilarating. I went in March when the weather was perfect for running around hot sand. It might be too hot in this weather.

Don't go to the restaurant with questionable comic-type billboards. Forgot the name, but it was a mistake to go there. If you saw the billboard, you'd know what I meant. Terrible food. Terrible service. They even charged more than the menu stated. ("These are last year's menus. The prices have gone up.") Yeah, right.

Drive down toward Duck (not far) and go to the Fishbone Sunset Grill (I think that was the name of it).

And spend the night somewhere on the Outer Banks!

We stayed here because it was the cheapest thing we could find, and it was on the water: http://www.ihsadvantage.com/h/hoteli...LogId=23289891 (half mile from the Wright Bros memorial)

It looks a little more worn in real life than the pics, but it was okay. When either one of us got up at night in the dark, we thought we were drunk (from our one glass of wine at dinner) because the floor was so uneven. Was funny. Having the beach right there was worth it, though.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-08-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary