Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 PM

76 posts, read 272,210 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to Wake County for a teaching Job- however I am having difficulty finding the opinions of the teachers who work for this county.

I value your opinions more than anything -Please let me know what you think of the county and especially any specific elementary schools that you believe to be a good - OR - bad places to work - live etc

THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 12:36 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
As you probably know, the schools in NC are county run, so all of Wake County is one school system. It is very large, but also very well-run, imo. I taught in Florida before relocating here to teach in Wake County for a short time. (I'm no longer a teacher, but my daughter is in elem. in Wake County.)

It's a lot to take in, when planning a move to a new state, between trying to decide where to live, work, what kind of commutes, you're looking at... This is what I'd recommend you do to get a better feel of the area. Print the map of schools from www.wcpss.net. Then, as you compare the schools on paper (looking at test scores, capacity/# of mobile classrooms, class sizes, year/round or traditional), mark these on the map so you start to get a clearer picture of the area.

For test scores (of course, we all know that only gives you part of the picture, test scores alone won't determine where you teach) you can go to www.ncreportcards.com or www.greatschools.net.

You said you've already looked in to Wake County, and interviewed over the phone, but for anyone else reading your post, when transferring from another state, you'll have to follow these steps:
1. NC Licensure: www.teach4nc.com
2. Wake County employment: www.wcpss.net
3. Interview w/ principals at specific schools

Depending on the need at the school (Wake County is anticipating 8000 new students this upcoming school year!!), you may be able to be hired before your paperwork goes through. I was hired in October, and they put me in the classroom as a sub until I had my paperwork done.

Also, make sure you read up about year-round versus traditional calendar, not that you'll have a guarantee that a traditional school won't be converted. Personally, I like the year-round schedule. My daughter is enrolled in year round, and she's done very well. All of my friends who teach year round love it, too, because you don't get that burnout with the periodic breaks.

It's a lot of information to take in - feel free to pm me or email if you need more specific info. Good luck!

~Rebekah

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM

Thank you so much for all the information! I felt like you read my mind because I feel very overwhelmed.

I definelty plan to fly into Raleigh and visit potential hires before the start of the next school year. I also have to consider housing etc... I want to make sure I have some idea of what I am getting myself into.

Any information on Penny Road Elementary or Wakefield Elementary?

I will look into everything you told me and if i have more questions I will let you know thanks so much!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
You're quite welcome!

I don't have any personal experience with Penny Road, I can just point you to the websites.

For Wakefield, it just went year round this year, and the new Forest Pines campus is scheduled to open next year to handle the "overflow" from the growth in that area. I actually taught at Wakefield Middle School, and I was very impressed with the school in general. The teachers collaborated very well together, the administration was supportive... The principal when I was there just went up to the high school, and my friends speak highly of the new one. There was a LOT of parent involvement, too - I think 80% join the pta? After teaching at a school where open house meant the teachers sat around and ate pizza (seriously, we'd have complete no-shows for the whole night!) it was almost overwhelming to have so much parent involvement, but once I got used to it, it was great having the support. You can expect the same or more at WES.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 PM

81 posts, read 301,279 times
Dear NYTeacher,

I'm moving to NC in May from CA. I am a school psychologist here and did a little research as to salary scale, job openings, etc. in the WCPSS. I was very surprised to see the difference in salary between CA and NC--yes I know cost of living is a factor, but for example: I make almost twice as much more here in CA than I would in NC with same placement on the salary scale. I may be speaking out of turn, but I don't think that there is a teachers' union (?)...Just wanted to you be prepared for a possible shock when you see the difference in pay....

Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 AM

129 posts, read 565,976 times
NYTEACHER--I have 3 children in the Wake County school system and I have found that the biggest factor in your decision would be how a particular school is run. What I mean is how the principle treats the staff as well their participation and involvement.

For instance...my son's middle school....the principle was outside every single morning directing the traffic and had his teachers opening the car doors greeting the students and helping out if they were needed. He was involved from morning until night every step of the way and accessible for everyone.

On the other hand my daughter that is now in middle school has not 1 person on the sidewalk keeping the traffic flowing or helping a child out of a car if they needed it. This principle is never in on a meeting I have ever been to. I mentioned it one day and the teachers just laughed when I asked about the principle.

I would bet every teacher has a different attitude towards their particular school, because everyone's expectations are different. ie:some teachers feel they should stand on the sidewalk in the mornings to help while others say that is what parents are for.

My question would be is what do you think of the principle? Are they available to you if they are needed as a teacher on their staff? I witnessed my kids elementary school go from 1 side of the scale to the other with a principle change.

It all stems from the top and the attitude of the principle. I am a firm believer no matter where you work (hospital, sales, grocery store, etc) it all starts at the top and works it way down.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Specific Elementary schools??

Thank you so much to everyone that responded!! I have been continuing my research and trying to form a list of schools that are hiring. Some of you had mentioned you either taught in Wake County - had friends that teach in Wake County or have children that attend schools in the county.

Please inform me of any of the schools that you particularly like or have had problems with in the past. This will definelty help to continue with my job search! Thanks so much it is great to hear different perspectives

Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 8,081 times
I'm flying up for a second interview for a teaching position in Wake county and I'm wondering how the interviews are conducted. I was told that there is an essay and a panel interview. Is this accurate?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,730 times
This may be too late, but I would recommend steering clear of Penny Road Elementary. This school is beginning to have a reputation as a mess. They have 20-something new staff members this year - many experienced teachers departed after last school year. I have friends who teach there and also friends who have children there - they're not as satisfied as they should be. The principal is nice, but seems to make hasty, un-educated decisions, causing the school to suffer. He can talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk, it appears. The school is in a lovely area, but the students who are bussed in sometimes demand so much teacher attention that those who will "make it on their own" or have great home support may have to just sit along for the ride. I am a teacher in Wake County, and would be happy to provide any information you'd like - feel free to contact me. I am very happy at the school I teach at and would confidently send my own children to the school I am employed by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary