Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 26,501 times

Advertisements

I would just feel more comfortable with a gay or gay-friendly male doctor -- not that it really should matter, but it would be nice. But, if anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. Looking for an Internal Medicine doctor primarily. I just moved to Raleigh near Brier Creek -- have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Am older and not very active sexually, but would like to see if anyone has any good experiences with a gay or gay-friendly doctor in the area. Suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Hey, Silver Traveller--I think we corresponded before. I go to a gay doc in Cary even though I live in North Raleigh; it's a pretty quick drive down 540. PM me for details.

Edit: I PM'ed you.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:52 PM

360 posts, read 995,481 times
Why the need for a "gay friendly" Dr.? Isn't a gay guy's body the same as a straight persons? Why would one even need to mention to their Dr. that they are gay? I think you should just be looking for a good Dr., and stop worrying what they think of your sexual tendencies.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Why the need for a "gay friendly" Dr.? Isn't a gay guy's body the same as a straight persons? Why would one even need to mention to their Dr. that they are gay? I think you should just be looking for a good Dr., and stop worrying what they think of your sexual tendencies.
Because a gay person needs to be able to be honest with his/her doctor about health issues, who is considered "next of kin", etc., and if the doctor is at all un-gay-friendly, it could affect the way he/she treats the patient--some people have actually been "lectured" to by their doctors about being gay or even harassed. Plus, a doctor who is actually gay will be much more likely to be informed on health issues in the community.

Why shouldn't a gay person be able to ask for a gay-friendly doc if he wants?

I've already PMed him a name anyway.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,344 times
Quote:
Would a woman want to have a Dr. who is a misogynist?

One feels small enough when the Dr. disapproves of their weight, eating/drinking/smoking/exercise habits, etc. You can't blame someone for not wanting a Dr. who will throw sexuality into the mix.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
Would a woman want to have a Dr. who is a misogynist?

One feels small enough when the Dr. disapproves of their weight, eating/drinking/smoking/exercise habits, etc. You can't blame someone for not wanting a Dr. who will throw sexuality into the mix.
I agree with your analogy, but another way to look at it might be....If you go to any doctor, and you let him know your gay and he treats you with anything other then professionalism or in an ethical manor, then he probably could be in trouble. I.E. any doctor should be able or capable of being "gay friendly."

All medical doctors are trained to treat all patients the same regardless of age, sex, sexual preference, ethnicity, race, etc.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I agree with your analogy, but another way to look at it might be....If you go to any doctor, and you let him know your gay and he treats you with anything other then professionalism or in an ethical manor, then he probably could be in trouble. I.E. any doctor should be able or capable of being "gay friendly."

All medical doctors are trained to treat all patients the same regardless of age, sex, sexual preference, ethnicity, race, etc.

You are absolutely right. However, human nature sometimes interferes with training and proper practice.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM

881 posts, read 2,253,189 times
Quote:

IDK I understand. As a woman I requested that my GP (who also does paps) be a woman. I know men are just as capable but I feel more comfortable with a woman doing certain things.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
i think this is a valid concern, the same as a person wanting a female OBGYN or whatever. im a straight male, and i wouldn't care if my doctor is female or gay, but i'm less likely to suffer because of their biases.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post

Believe me, "Should be" does not always equate to "are". Even if a doctor is not outwardly homophobic, s/he may still not be sensitive to issues important to a gay patient such as keeping one's lifepartner on file for next-of-kin notification, or advising on safe sex practices if the patient is sexually active, etc. Just as a female is likely to be more comfortable getting GYN exams from a woman (I certainly would if I were female), a gay patient is going to be more open and honest with a physician if he has some assurance that the doc is gay or gay-friendly and won't pass judgment, even subtly. Even a well-meaning, but not particularly "gay-savvy" doctor, might not be as informed about particular dangers to the gay community, and that's not even mentioning knowledge of mental health issues such as depression (and the reasons therefor) where a gay doctor would have far more understanding of the issues a gay patient deals with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary